Borderlands 2 Recruits a Playable Psycho Class

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Borderlands 2 Recruits a Playable Psycho Class

There's a new vault hunter in town, and he doesn't look friendly.

The Vault Hunters of the Borderlands series have never exactly been mentally stable - fans of the series can attest that the playable characters find just a little too much glee in gunning down everything with a pulse and shamelessly taking their stuff. The newly announced sixth character class for Borderlands 2, however, makes the rest of the gang look downright noble by comparison. Krieg the Psycho, an escaped experiment with multiple personalities and an axe to grind, will bring a new melee-focused flavor of violence to the shoot-and-loot FPS in the upcoming Psycho Pack.

Equipped with a nasty-looking Buzz Axe, Krieg will spend most of his time getting up close and personal with his enemies. Players can dive into his Bloodlust skill tree to stack combat bonuses (similar to Borderlands 2's previous DLC class, the Mechromancer), "live on the edge of sanity" with the Mania tree, or master fire elemental attacks in the Hellborn tree. Krieg will get a few ranged abilities, but expect to find him in the middle of the fray whenever possible.

Even if you don't feel like starting over with a new character, the developers at Gearbox have a few more updates in store. The Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack (which will be free to those with the Borderlands 2 Season Pass) will bump the level cap from 50 to 61 - despite the previously discussed concerns [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121998-Gearbox-Cant-Increase-Borderlands-2s-Level-Cap-Without-Breaking-It] that increasing the maximum level might destroy the game's balance. The upgrade will also unlock the Ultimate Vault Hunter mode for players on their third replay of the game.

Gearbox also has one final DLC campaign in the works, though not much has been revealed about its contents as of yet. The Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack will arrive on April 2 for the price of $4.99 (or free as part of the Season Pass), and the Psycho Pack will unleash Krieg the Psycho sometime in May for $9.99. The final story DLC (also included with the Season Pass) is scheduled to release in June, and will likely follow the trend of previous DLC campaigns at the $9.99 price point.

Source & Image: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/24/4141930/borderlands-2s-new-vault-hunter-is-krieg-the-psycho]

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
The only thing I worry about is that they'll run out of ideas for characters for Borderlands 3, or otherwise end up rehashing things.

Sep 14, 2009
while most of this DLC isn't bad, i just can't justify spending the amount for a whole new game for all the DLC they have to offer, which is why i don't even play BL2 anymore, finding upgrade after upgrade for a character that i didn't have was really getting old.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
So his ability is just melee? I would really like to see a bullet time thing like in Red Dead Redemption where you would mark the enemy and then the character would just unload the equivelent to the clicks you made or untill the magazine is empty to the spots that you marked. For the co-op you would have it be like in Max Payne where all the other players in his view range would also get the slow motion effect applied to them.

I dunno, I just would like to see something that the series still dont have.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
JokerboyJordan said:
The only thing I worry about is that they'll run out of ideas for characters for Borderlands 3, or otherwise end up rehashing things.
i actually think the mechanics and how easy they are to expand (if they just come up with one cool idea for a new element they have another class they can base around that) i don't think they are gonna run out of ideas anytime soon.

i have yet to buy any DLC simply because i find it frustrating to always put some hours into the game every few month with a whole bunch of new ideas, i will just wait for the goty edition and play through everything when i don't have anything new to play.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Please tell me that the level upgrading pack will have other stuff in it instead of just being a level increase. The season pass has seemed like a waste of money to me so far...

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Huh, he must be tough as balls then because going up to melee usually results in death in about one second in that game (vs people with guns, against creatures it's more feasible).

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Not interested in any new character, really. I've played through Borderlands 2 too many times to want to see any of those campaign missions again. However, I definitely would have considered Krieg as a main character had he been released with the original game. Very cool class.

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
frobalt said:
Please tell me that the level upgrading pack will have other stuff in it instead of just being a level increase. The season pass has seemed like a waste of money to me so far...
So far it seems like it's just 11 levels and the pearlescents for $5. Utter bullshit if you ask me.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
frobalt said:
Well I hope you learn to never buy season passes then. It is a pre-order for DLC with is just stupid to buy on faith no matter how good the company.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
My favourite part about BL2 was how it's a loot driven game where easily above 99% of the loot is unusable trash that's no fun to use. We also love doing 80 BUNK3R runs in 10 hours to maybe get a blue weapon. This way we all have to follow their twitter and news feeds for shift codes so we can actually get a weapon that isn't awful. Solid game design. Fun times.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
JokerboyJordan said:
They just took an NPC already present since the first game and turned him playable, they aren't exactly digging deep on creativity.

I'm just confused as to why anyone would want this, these characters actually add nothing to the overall game and their playstyle varies in very small percentages.
And I won't even go into the whole "$5 to unlock level cap" bullshit.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Mr.K. said:
And I won't even go into the whole "$5 to unlock level cap" bullshit.
Freakin seriously. What happened to the days where the devs would just patch the game when they had small updates like that? Now we have to pay for what is ultimately just a bugfix? BS.

Silly Hats

Dec 26, 2012
Haven't been able to look at Borderlands 2 since my cloud save failed when my SSD died on me. Lost my 150h save with my Gaige pimped out with Orange Weapons. Initially I was against those pay for a new characters DLCs, but considering how much love my Gaige got they can be well worth it.

I'd love to get back into the game, but noone that I know actually want to play it again.

Unorthodoxx

Jan 28, 2009
I lost interest in this game roughly about halfway through it...I played the hell out of the first one, but for some reason I just can't put up with this one.

I liked the first character they added to the game, but no one I know will pick this game up again so I'm kinda at a cross roads on whether Or not I should invest any more time into it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TK421 said:
Freakin seriously. What happened to the days where the devs would just patch the game when they had small updates like that? Now we have to pay for what is ultimately just a bugfix? BS.
Gearbox has not exactly been the most ethical group of late.

Though I'm still more amused by the fact that it wasn't possible a couple months ago, and now it's specifically a paid feature.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Captain Scarlett was a piece of ass....
sorry but thats how i read it as (immature i know) :D

i'm looking forward to it i've enjoyed the season pass so far, though i'm not sure if i can be bothered leveling up Krieg (i've yet to do any other then Maya).