Borderlands 2 *SPOILERS* *NO SERIOUSLY, SPOILERS*

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
EHKOS said:
They really made him a great villain. Although I heard somewhere you get to see his real face when you beat him, and when I uppercutted him as the final blow I forgot to check. That uppercut was soooo satisfying.
I double checked after the credits rolled and jacks face is the exact same under the mask except he has a large scar in the shape of the cult of the vault on his face

With that said I agree with the fact that Jack was a great character and can only hope the inevitable BL3 can deliver someone of that caliber. At first he almost seemed harmless and quirky until he kills Bloodwing right in front of you and then kills Roland after he begged and pleaded with you to not kill Angel. After that point it was no more ha-ha jokes and failed assassination attempts and it was just "I'm going to kill you for what you've done to me, no more jokes, no more bounty. I will be the one to kill you and everyone you've ever even passed by".

On that Bloodwing note, I love the little banter Roland and Lilith have when you return from the preserve. They talk about the glitch in BL1 where you would throw out Bloodwing and it'd just fly around in circles doing nothing instead of killing enemies. Freaking hilarious. Loved how they handled that.
They actually did that a few times if I recall like how Jack told Angel in BL1 to get the original Vault Hunters to step off the bus and she says "But Jack how can they get off when the bus is still moving?". Also even in the opening cinematic they mention that the first vault held only tentacles and disappointment for the original 4. I was really pleased how they didn't really retcon the original's flaws at all and built or expanded on it.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
toomuchnothing said:
EHKOS said:
They really made him a great villain. Although I heard somewhere you get to see his real face when you beat him, and when I uppercutted him as the final blow I forgot to check. That uppercut was soooo satisfying.
I double checked after the credits rolled and jacks face is the exact same under the mask except he has a large scar in the shape of the cult of the vault on his face
At first he almost seemed harmless and quirky until he kills Bloodwing right in front of you and then kills Roland after he begged and pleaded with you to not kill Angel. After that point it was no more ha-ha jokes and failed assassination attempts and it was just "I'm going to kill you for what you've done to me, no more jokes, no more bounty. I will be the one to kill you and everyone you've ever even passed by".
Ah, thanks, I'll get a good look next playthrough. Also that is exactly how I would have said it. I thought he was funny at first but then he gets really vicious.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Denamic said:
Elamdri said:
Denamic said:
Elamdri said:
aba1 said:
Wait so it isn't ok to kill him off because he is black.
No, it isn't ok to kill him off because he's my favorite character. The fact that they've killed off the only black guy in the game is even worse. Seriously.
So the fact that he's black matters?
Because it's a common trope that the token black guy is the one that get's killed. Roland is the only black guy in the borderlands universe and they killed him. It's like every bad horror movie ever written.
Oh, so he's a token character.
Here I was sad that a character I liked died, but it seems I should actually have been outraged because he's black.
I'm sorry, I was mistaken in not giving a shit about his skin colour.
You're mis-understanding me. I'm upset that:

A: They killed my favorite character

and

B: They doubled down on one of the worst story tropes ever.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Vanitas likes Bubbles said:
It wasn't as sad as for me but when Bloodwing got killed, I was sad. It's probably because I played Mordecai the most in the first game.

I'm also very hesitant in killing Jack (I haven't finished the game but I suppose he dies anyway) because he seems to be this delusional villain that thinks he's protecting everyone. I thinks he's one of the best villains in video game history in fact.
Umm

No..

I'm sorry, no matter how much you like Borderlands for its nice parts it isn't taking home "best antagonist"

OT: Yes...characters die, sometimes loved ones, ESPECIALLY loved ones if you're Joss Whedon.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Elamdri said:
Seriously Gearbox? Not only do you kill my favorite character, but the only black guy in the game?
What's funny is that I laughed at my brother when he got sad that Bloodwing died as he played Mordecai, and he laughed when Roland died. We both had feels.

Also I accidently read the first post because I forgot you can read the first post by hovering your mouse over...

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
Umm

No..

I'm sorry, no matter how much you like Borderlands for its nice parts it isn't taking home "best antagonist"

I think he's one of the best villains in video game history in fact.
I think he's one of the best villains
So... because you don't think Handsome Jack is one of the best villains in gaming history means that he can't?

And who would you nominate? Would it shock and appall you to find out that there are those who disagree with you? Because that's kinda the thing about opinions...

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
PrimitiveJudge said:
Anyone try out the super boss fight after killing jack? I lived for a total of 3.7 seconds
It's impossible if you're fresh off the end of the first playthrough, the guy is level 52. It's crawmerax 2, basically. Well, sort of. Crawmerax probably was never killed in 7 seconds.

My gunzerker can't quite do it in 7 seconds, takes more like 15 or so. I'm using the Hyperion 3 barrel shotguns instead of a quad and single. It's pretty hard to find quad barrel shotguns with good damage and a magazine size of 10 or more to take full advantage of that talent that raises your last shot's damage by 400% at 5/5

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Tuesday Night Fever said:
Saviordd1 said:
Umm

No..

I think he's one of the best villains in video game history in fact.
I think he's one of the best villains
So... because you don't think Handsome Jack is one of the best villains in gaming history means that he can't?

And who would you nominate? Would it shock and appall you to find out that there are those who disagree with you? Because that's kinda the thing about opinions...
There's an opinion...
and then there's a poorly informed opinion.
Jack is pretty much a cookie cutter cliche antagonist, I fail to see how that nominates him for best antagonist.

If I say Master Chief was the most dynamic and interesting protagonist in gaming history does that make me right?

Fuck no, because Master Chief was a piece of white bread in green armor; having an opinion that's misinformed or just plain wrong is possible despite what today's society of feel good wants you to think.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
I don't care about his skin colour, just kind of sad it happened. Was glad to kill Jack after that as well.

Also, what does Jack look like without the mask?

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
There's an opinion...

having an opinion that's misinformed or just plain wrong is possible despite what today's society of feel good wants you to think.
Bullshit. If you honestly believe that, then you're just being a snob. Opinions are subjective, and just because you personally have different standards doesn't mean everyone else in the world should have to conform to you and your ego. Hell, you don't even know what the guy's played in the past to compare the game to.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
There's an opinion...

having an opinion that's misinformed or just plain wrong is possible despite what today's society of feel good wants you to think.
Bullshit. If you honestly believe that, then you're just being a snob. Opinions are subjective, and just because you personally have different standards doesn't mean everyone else in the world should have to conform to you and your ego. Hell, you don't even know what the guy's played in the past to compare the game to.
If someone bashes gays and says they all have AIDS and cancer we don't say "Oh, its just his opinion" We call him out on his utter misinformed bullshit.

But maybe your right, we should just let that kind of opinion continue.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
Saviordd1 said:
Saviordd1 said:
There's an opinion...

If someone bashes gays and says they all have AIDS and cancer we don't say "Oh, its just his opinion" We call him out on his utter misinformed bullshit.

But maybe your right, we should just let that kind of opinion continue.
That's an opinion on facts/statistics. An opinion about something that can be objectively measured.

An opinion about who is the coolest/best villain is totally subjective. There is no ultimate right answer because the criteria for what makes a cool villain changes from person to person.
Within reason yes, but the thing is Jack is a copy paste of a lot of other villains; from a purely objective standpoint he CAN'T be as good because he IS the older villains.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
thepope24 said:
I got pretty pissed myself. Not in a "screw you Gearbox" way, but a "I'M GONNA KILL THE SHIT OUT OF JACK" way.
Than it worked. Cause Im gonna rip that fucker's heart out when I get my hands on him.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Does anyone else feel like the original Vault Hunter's suddenly becoming kinda sissy in this one is an obnoxious retcon? I'm sorry, but my Roland and my Lilith would have curb stomped Handsome Jack in his handsome face all across Pandora.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Elamdri said:
Denamic said:
Elamdri said:
Denamic said:
Elamdri said:
aba1 said:
Wait so it isn't ok to kill him off because he is black.
No, it isn't ok to kill him off because he's my favorite character. The fact that they've killed off the only black guy in the game is even worse. Seriously.
So the fact that he's black matters?
Because it's a common trope that the token black guy is the one that get's killed. Roland is the only black guy in the borderlands universe and they killed him. It's like every bad horror movie ever written.
Oh, so he's a token character.
Here I was sad that a character I liked died, but it seems I should actually have been outraged because he's black.
I'm sorry, I was mistaken in not giving a shit about his skin colour.
You're mis-understanding me. I'm upset that:

A: They killed my favorite character

and

B: They doubled down on one of the worst story tropes ever.
No, the trope that black guys die first is because of racism, as I'm sure you know. Black people were considered more expendable just because they're black, etc.. Roland was one of the most important friendly characters in the game, being the leader of the crimson raiders, the sole opposition to Jack.
You're being the racist one here, insisting that his skin colour matters.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
My first words after he spoke to me were, "I'm gonna fuck your face right off with this revolver."

I still have a level 3 revolver lying in storage for the fight. I demand satisfaction.

DaKiller

Jan 15, 2011
I could just tell in that scene by the way that they angle the point of view that something was going to kill Roland from behind, but I was not expecting it to be jack and then to completely turn the tables and undo pretty much everything that we just accomplished. At first I thought jack was just a cowardly man who hides behind big words, but after that I saw that he was not someone to be fucked with.