Borderlands 3 Abandons Last-Gen Consoles

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
The next Borderlands game will be "the big one" according to Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford.

Isn't it interesting how developers change their tone given the situation? At PAX South less than a week ago, Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford told us that work on the next Borderlands has not yet begun [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139630-Borderlands-3-Work-Hasnt-Started-Yet]. Now, Take-Two president Karl Slatoff has at the company's annual earnings call stated that the game is in development, and it won't be coming to the "last-gen" consoles of PS3 and Xbox 360.
Now, granted, they could have started development between now and when Randy made that statement. On the other hand... it's Gearbox. I just don't trust those guys any more. I'm sorry, I got burned by Duke Nukem, I got burned by Aliens, I'm not willing to trust these guys when they lied to me about the product they were making, twice.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I do like Borderlands, but the series is starting to get a wee bit stale. 3 needs something to juice it up. Hope they can deliver

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Baresark said:
My only concern is that they add something interesting to it. I loved BL1. I liked BL2, but it was so similar to the first game it lost a lot of it's luster, though the humor was better than ever. I honestly just avoided the pre-sequel because I didn't see any proof they did anything different besides the space jump, which didn't seem very interesting to me. I won't play the third one just because it's next gen only. I played them all on the PC, which is a superior experience every step of the way in my opinion.
I never played BL 1 so I can't comment on that, but I really enjoyed BL 2 and the DLC, especially Assault on Dragon Keep. The pre-sequel....it's....well it's more Borderlands, that's about all I can say about it. You're right in that there isn't anything fundamentally different between it and BL 2. I find it enjoyable, but it hasn't grabbed me like BL 2 did. And it honestly feels like it's going on too long. I keep thinking I'm at the final chapter, and I'm not. The game is kind of wearing out it's welcome at this point. It's a fun game, and I enjoy playing as Fragtrap, but it's still kind of "eh."

As for BL 3 not going to old gen consoles, meh, I play it on PC, so I don't have any issue with this at all.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
My only real problems with Borderlands are with the gunplay. There were a lot less slow-firing high-damage guns in 2, which was something I sorely missed because of the second problem, that recoil is way too hard to manage on consoles. Also, I dislike how RPGs always throw thousands of weapons at you like it's a good thing, when you're probably only going to use variations on about a dozen of them.
That said, I like the art style, I like Anthony Burch's humor, I like over-the-top, I like fighting enemies with specific weaknesses that incentivize you to change your playstyle, and I like the kinds of games designed to rope people in for thousands of hours, because I know I can get at least an hour per dollar out of them before I get bored.

So yeah, I'm interested in seeing what they do with next-gen abilities. They really don't need to update the graphics, so hopefully they can beef up the AI and the explosions.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
unlike just about everyone else I actually like Borderlands 1, 3, and Pre-Sequel. But I honestly can't think of what else the game can do. The game would greatly benefit by adding some Far Cry elements to it and that's the only thing I can think of :/
I just hope they don't kill anymore of the characters from the old cast, Maya and Lilith are too cool to die :(

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, at least it wasn't an MMO announcement. That would have been the kiss of death.
Still, as much as I've enjoyed some of the new additions to Borderlands: Midquel, it's been very underwhelming compared to BL2 (and that's excluding some of the more excellent DLC campaigns from BL2) so I'm...kinda hesitant.

BL3 is...I dunno. I have a feeling that it's going to be pretty damn underwhelming.
Or worse, one big DLC-cash grab with half the game gated off right from the start.

Assuming that doesn't happen...

-A FEW SUGGESTIONS FOR GEARBOX-
1) Fix shotguns PLEASE. Make it so that it's actually possible to do real damage with some of them past point-blank range again. I like boomsticks and sawed-off melee supplements just fine, but not an entire fucking category of them.
They don't need to be sniping weapons, but FFS, I should be able to maim someone more than 10 feet away from me.

2) Make revolvers feel like revolvers again.
2a) Seriously, why are the only true semi-auto handguns in the game the -revolvers- instead of regular pistols?
Make the repeaters semi-auto, and revolvers the awesome hand cannons they were in BL1.

3) PLEASE, un-nerf the damage on assault rifles. I never use them because Sniper Rifles get the job done more cleanly at range and SMGs do more damage at mid to close range with much better ammo-efficiency.

4) Provide the Dahl guns with a Select Fire option. Burst fire sniper rifles are fucking worthless with the current recoil physics, and that includes Dahl's superior recoil control. (I had to throw away a perfectly good Dahl railgun in Midquel because zoom-firing resulted in hilariously overpowered kick rendering the weapon incapable of hitting even a mid-range target more than once...and wasting about 20 ammo in the process.)

5) Torgue guns. The Gyro-Jet thing was amusing for a while, but I find myself selling every single Torgue gun I pick up because, ironically, the enemies move around too much for these weapons to be reliable. I like challenging skill-based weapons, but even then, the risk-reward of Gyro-Jet weaponry simply isn't worth the effort, 'EXPLOSIONS?!' or not.

6) Keep the laser weapons from Midquel. Those were actually pretty awesome.

7) STOP PUSHING HANDSOME JACK.
Killing him was satisfying because he was such an asshole. That was earned over the course of BL2.
But if you keep pushing Jack, you will wear out his welcome faster than you think.

Alexander Kirby said:
Shinkicker444 said:
I just hope it isn't so... grindy. I liked the characters and various story bits in BL2, but for the most part it was a bit of a loot/level grinding snorefest.
You know I've seen a number of people unhappy with the level of grinding in the Borderlands franchise, but I've never really understood what the problem is. Maybe my view is skewed by all the Dragon Quest I've played but I found that there was no mandatory grinding in Borderlands 2. Sure, you can grind if you want to and I follow people on Twitch and Youtube that'll quite happily do a single boss 100 times in a day, but I found that the first playthrough is easy enough you can quite easily get through the whole story and a bunch of the side quests without grinding or even back-tracking. Once you do the True and Ultimate Vault Hunter Modes grinding becomes a necessity because your build needs to be pitch-perfect, requiring some rare gear, but apart from that I always thought it was quite nicely set up to give you the choice but never the need.
The grind in any Borderlands game doesn't really begin until around late True-Vault-Hunter Mode.

After that, the difficulty of the game becomes entirely about the numbers, with very little having to do with player skill.
That's mainly because at that point, you have so many passive benefits from your skill trees that the game would be utterly trivial without it.

Really, the first playthrough is pretty well paced (especially BL2).
The main problem with "grind" only occurs if you're looking for Legendary gear, which sadly, is rather appealing because the most interesting stuff/effects in the game are attached almost exclusively to Legendaries and Uniques.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I hope this time they make the combat and overall shooting actually worth it
for an FPS that puts so much of its mechanics around the guns themselves, the combat felt more like a chore than actual combat, and every time I got into fights I just wanted to get them over with

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
So there is a third game afterall? I thought the announcement from PAX was Homeworld remastered or this is something said on the fly?

Either way, it sound like I need to upgrade my pc in order to played the third game.
You're probably thinking of The Handsome Collection, which is Borderlands 2, The Pre-Sequel, and all their DLCs packaged together for the XBone and PS4 (and PCs too maybe, I dunno).

But yeah, nothing about this really strikes me as news. Of course there would have been some work being done for a Borderlands 3, the series makes far too much money for Gearbox, hell work for it probably started when the second came out. And naturally they'd abandon the 360/PS3, we're about a year or so into the latest cycle. By the time BL3 would likely come out, the cycle would be two or three years in, and by that point no one would be making anything for the 360/PS3.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
Is anyone actually surprised by this? Do we need that kind of announcement for every game now?

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
It's time to move on and stop supporting last gen consoles for next gen and PC games. They are what hold back development with the need to constrain to those systems' limitations.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Coming soon to PS4/XBone Borderlands: Destiny edition.

::imagines Peter Dinklage doing a deadpan Claptrap:: They could do worse.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I wonder who they suckered out of money this time.

For where there's a Borderlands release there is a shit tacular game right behind it.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I hope they make melee less shitty for melee based chars (maybe add specific melee weapons instead of awkwardly let some guns add bonus damage?) so that games version of zero won't drift into irrelevancy the further the game progresses and make the active skills more gun related so like instead of just plopping down a standard turret/drone that is always the same, that turret uses the gun you got equipped so you can have pistol/shotgun/rocketlauncher turrets.

Also less goddamn time limited kill skills that activate something that would have greatly helped me kill something right after I managed to kill it and only stay up against stuff I don't need it against.
The only useful one is increased reload speed after killing something!
It's the only one that makes sense since you emptied a clip into an enemy to kill it.
More diverse procs like "when hitting an enemy" instead of "after killing an enemy" please.
Especially for the multiplayer with its bullet spongy enemies and kill stealing teammates!

Oh also please no more bullshit damage reduction because that enemy is 2 levels above you on top of a high weapon damage raise per level and how dare you attempt to shorten the grind anyway???
I want a high risk high reward quick way to level up instead of having the game sit me down and make me do 2 more sidequests.
The only way to speedrun borderlands 2 is through heavy glitch abuse and fuck that.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
Barbas said:
Good, good. Time to move on and put the inferior technology out to pasture. Earth belongs to the young.
...But they're still putting it out on the PS4 and XBOne.

That's still the "inferior technology."