Borderlands 3 Confirmed at PAX East

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Borderlands 3 Confirmed at PAX East

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1315/1315698.jpgDuring their PAX East panel over the weekend, Gearbox Software confirmed that they are indeed working on the next Borderlands game.

At PAX East this past weekend, Gearbox Software confirmed what pretty much everyone already knew: they're working on another Borderlands game. The company's CEO, Randy Pitchford, was straightforward about it, stating, "It's no secret, obviously there's going to be another Borderlands."

Scott Kester, who was the art director for Battleborn, will fill the same role on the new title. Mikey Neumann, whose title with the company is Chief Creative Champion (and who also voiced Scooter, one of the most recognizable characters), will take on the writing duties once again.

Pitchford also mentioned that Battleborn already contains a number of Borderlands easter eggs, and even teased a few additions from the new game, saying, "So what if we put easter eggs for future stuff in the DLC?"

Obviously, there's no word on when the game might come out, what platforms it might be on (though you can probably assume that with Microsoft ceasing production on the Xbox 360 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167222-Microsoft-Ceasing-Production-of-Xbox-360-Servers-Stay-Online], last gen consoles will be left out), or what the story might be. That said, if the previous Borderlands titles are any indication, it'll definitely be worth the wait.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I get the feeling that I'll have the same problem with Borderlands 3 that I had with Borderlands 2: that being that they're just....more Borderlands.

Don't get me wrong, I played the crap out of the first game with my friends and loved every second of it. But then I was done with it. Then Borderlands 2 comes along and it is, indeed, just Moar Borderlands. Same gameplay, different story. I'm not saying Borderlands 2 should have just been another expansion or something, just saying that by the time it came out I was done with the core gameplay loop of BL. As such, I lost interest in BL2 very quickly. Like, before any of the DLC even came out.

I get the feeling that it'll be the exact same issue with a new Borderlands game. So this time I don't think I'm even going to bother.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
RJ 17 said:
I get the feeling that I'll have the same problem with Borderlands 3 that I had with Borderlands 2: that being that they're just....more Borderlands.

Don't get me wrong, I played the crap out of the first game with my friends and loved every second of it. But then I was done with it. Then Borderlands 2 comes along and it is, indeed, just Moar Borderlands. Same gameplay, different story. I'm not saying Borderlands should have just been another expansion or something, just saying that by the time it came out I was done with the core gameplay loop of BL. As such, I lost interest in BL2 very quickly. Like, before any of the DLC even came out.

I get the feeling that it'll be the exact same issue with a new Borderlands game. So this time I don't think I'm even going to bother.
Personally,I feel Borderlands 2 was the perfect sequel for Borderlands 1. More mechanics,more refined gameplay,a MUCH better plot... I personally can't see how Gearbox will improve upon Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel,but,I guess we'll wait and see.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Riddle78 said:
RJ 17 said:

Don't get me wrong, I played the crap out of the first game with my friends and loved every second of it. But then I was done with it. Then Borderlands 2 comes along and it is, indeed, just Moar Borderlands. Same gameplay, different story. I'm not saying Borderlands should have just been another expansion or something, just saying that by the time it came out I was done with the core gameplay loop of BL. As such, I lost interest in BL2 very quickly. Like, before any of the DLC even came out.

Personally,I feel Borderlands 2 was the perfect sequel for Borderlands 1. More mechanics,more refined gameplay,a MUCH better plot... I personally can't see how Gearbox will improve upon Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel,but,I guess we'll wait and see.
Correction: you'll wait and see...I'll be playing something else entirely. :p

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
In the early levels of Borderlands 2 (never played the first), I adored the game.

Then when I got 75% done, I just got tired of it. The shitty guns and gunplay, constantly being under attack, the fetchiest fetch quests, etc.

The characters were indeed done really well, and the voice acting was great. But at the end of the day it is a video game, and the gameplay just didn't do it for me.

So if they fix up the gameplay a bit, maybe focus on having better guns than moar guns, then I might consider getting the game.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
RJ 17 said:

I had a similar feeling toward Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel. I felt the differences between 1 and 2 were enough to justify a sequel (if you don't believe me, try playing 1 again. Ohh, that inventory). The UI was better, the settings variety was better, the story was better, the side character were more developed... even the DLC was mostly better. Then "the presequel" came along and it was too similar to 2 to make it feel like nothing but "moar borderlands".

I will wait to see if it gets different in interesting directions, otherwise I will just wait for it to be included in a sale. Like it or not, there is nothing quite like Borderlands for multiplayer experiences.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'm curious if they're going to bring in the additions from the Pre-Sequel, specifically Lasers, Oz kits (and by association the Ground Pound) and Cryo weapons. Further, maybe we can get some new gun manufacturers like the return of S&S Munitions and Atlas and a few new guys with unique gimmicks.

I know some are going to be like "it's just more Borderlands," but I'm quite okay with it. Borderlands, to me, is one of those games where you can just turn off your brain and relax.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
hermes said:
RJ 17 said:

I had a similar feeling toward Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel. I felt the differences between 1 and 2 were enough to justify a sequel (if you don't believe me, try playing 1 again. Ohh, that inventory). The UI was better, the settings variety was better, the story was better, the side character were more developed... even the DLC was mostly better. Then "the presequel" came along and it was too similar to 2 to make it feel like nothing but "moar borderlands".

I will wait to see if it gets different in interesting directions, otherwise I will just wait for it to be included in a sale. Like it or not, there is nothing quite like Borderlands for multiplayer experiences.
There were definitely improvements to the game between 1 and 2, however the core gameplay loop remained almost entirely the same. That's what I was finished with back in BL1, and officially bored with half-way through BL2.

So yeah, I'm sitting this one out.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
More Borderlands, you say?

Well, shit son, I'm down. :D

I loved the second one, and the Pre-Sequel was pretty okay. I had some issues with it, but it was still a pretty fun romp in space. Given the ending to the Pre-Sequel I'm curious to know where they will go with it and if Rhys and Fiona will be in it since they are vault hunters now.... somewhere.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Well, I'm game for more Borderlands.

But didn't they say they didn't want to make more? I hope they can summon up some emotional investment in this and make it something a bit more than a simple money grab.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
AccursedTheory said:
Well, I'm game for more Borderlands.

But didn't they say they didn't want to make more? I hope they can summon up some emotional investment in this and make it something a bit more than a simple money grab.
Yeah...Borderlands 2, while fun and full of character, still had a lot of gameplay wrinkles to iron out. Like making it easier to play solo, and making weapon drops less obscenely rare.

The Pre-Sequel! was a simple money grab. Hopefully they'll decide to take the game in an interesting direction, and if not, hopefully Tiny Tina and Mr. Torgue are still entertaining.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Loved the first one (which I played for the first time quite recently), still looking forward to getting stuck into the Handsome Jack collection (plus Telltale's series), but other games just keep getting in the way.

I'm pleased to see there'll be more, though, as if the design, charm, and gameplay immediacy is as good as ever, Borderlands feels like a series that'll always entertain (2's DLC's look awesome).

The series seems to still be in desperate need for more inventive, esoteric weaponry, though, which is an issue that seems to plague almost all shooters.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
My body is ready.

I play Borderlands for the cathartic shooty goodness, the comedy, and the excellent characters. The Pre-Sequel was a huge disappointment for me since it only had the first of those three, and it was hardly a surprise to find out it was a B-Team effort. Meanwhile, the OG team was providing a lot of input on Telltale's TftB, which captures the humor and characters, and now we have Battleborn, which hits all three chords perfectly, but still just isn't Borderlands.

My only concern is whether they'll be able to get a story as solid as 2 had, which was ENTIRELY driven by Handsome Jack. Either they'll need to strike oil twice with a new major villain as well-written and funny as Jack without just being a carbon-copy of him, or they'll have to strike out in a new direction.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
The biggest things I'd like to see is:
-more abilities. I really enjoyed the whole "Borderlands is an FPS Diablo with guns", but I would have liked characters to have multiple activated skills that they could learn, instead of just 1 per character.
-Give the guns more 'oomph'. I loved the randomly generated weapons, but so many of them felt really cartoony and weak. I'd love to see them have a much more visceral feel to them.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Top three things I would like to see from this:
1. Don't be a shameless "more of the same but slightly worse" cash grab like The Pre-Sequel
2. More active abilities. Both Borderlands and Destiny gave you disappointingly little in terms of usable abilities, with most of your build consisting of passives so now I would like to see one of these shooter-looters try a full Diablo-lite skill bar/wheel.
3. Lower reload times. So many of the guns in BL2 that actually did respectable damage suffered from minuscule mags and glacial reload speeds more akin to what a 100 round LMG would take in other shooters and it made the gunplay feel clunky at times.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Ihateregistering1 said:
-more abilities. I really enjoyed the whole "Borderlands is an FPS Diablo with guns", but I would have liked characters to have multiple activated skills that they could learn, instead of just 1 per character.
-Give the guns more 'oomph'. I loved the randomly generated weapons, but so many of them felt really cartoony and weak. I'd love to see them have a much more visceral feel to them.
I kind of feel like BL would have been better if it was made back in the days of doom back when the rocket launcher was a dull weapon.

The Great JT said:
I'm curious if they're going to bring in the additions from the Pre-Sequel, specifically Lasers, Oz kits (and by association the Ground Pound) and Cryo weapons. Further, maybe we can get some new gun manufacturers like the return of S&S Munitions and Atlas and a few new guys with unique gimmicks.

I know some are going to be like "it's just more Borderlands," but I'm quite okay with it. Borderlands, to me, is one of those games where you can just turn off your brain and relax.
I am one of the small number who like TPS more the BL2. The combat was a lot more fun with jetpacks. (Also the different OZ kit buffs were cool.) Though I kind of think they could have done better with them. 9 times out of 10 you can't double jump to a place that looks like you should be able to. They give you the ability to jump high and then they make all the buildings taller. :S

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Ihateregistering1 said:
I kind of feel like BL would have been better if it was made back in the days of doom back when the rocket launcher was a dull weapon.

The Great JT said:

I am one of the small number who like TPS more the BL2. The combat was a lot more fun with jetpacks. (Also the different OZ kit buffs were cool.) Though I kind of think they could have done better with them. 9 times out of 10 you can't double jump to a place that looks like you should be able to. They give you the ability to jump high and then they make all the buildings taller. :S