Borderlands 3 Confirmed at PAX East

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
IMO B2 was one of the greatest games ever made but pre-sequel was just terrible and I have no idea how they did that.

One complaint is the decap/dismember/elemental death animations were nerfed in B2 from how great they were in B1, supposedly so the same version could be released in heavy censor markets like Germany and Australia (which means the most heavy-handed censors are determining content for the whole western world).

Also the vanilla b2 characters other than the Gunzerker were mechanically boring but the DLC characters were super good so that made up for it.

I hope in B3 they go balls out and bring in the characters from all 3 games + dlc. Whoever wrote/directed Dragon Keep should be in charge of the whole thing because that adventure was so good it made me mad that the rest of the game wasn't up to that standard. And I hope they keep whoever worked on pre-sequel, pirate, and big game DLC the fuck away from the project.

And maybe it will even work with a steam controller....

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I'd love to be able to play a Skag!

That is something that should happen, I think. It'd be like playing as an alien from the Alien vs Predator franchise. I know that gun-toting is impossible for a side-mouthed dog, but maybe some alternate means of item aquirement, or ability absorption through eating...

I know, I know. I'll never get what I want.

Sigh.

hiddendragonv5

Apr 18, 2009
I would like to see how battleborn does before I even consider Borderlands 3, also where can the story go? Yeah the ending of 2 showed that there are more vaults out there, but with telltale's tales of borderlands (I haven't played but heard that they're good) could cause problems for future narrative of 3.

Sep 24, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm down to clown for more Borderlands, let's just please get over Handsome Jack.
I can't tell you how happy I am to see someone else in this forum have this sentiment.

Yes, ever present villain needs to drive you. I got it. And more over, said villain killed my favorite character in the series. So him and I are not friends.

So I have to keep seeing the same note character played out over and over again in no less than three titles? No. someone new. something new. Add more powers. Hell, go through a Mortal Kombat X things and add equippable play styles that you can switch through via game play. Grinding through points to level all those styles up will make for some great grinding.

But let Jack Rot.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
See, one of my friends was so burned on Colonial Marines, so incensed by the way Gearbox handled his favourite licence, it took him years to cave in and buy the Handsome Collection for PS4. Even then, it's still just sitting on his hard drive, waiting for some weird stroke of fancy to be started.

Pitchford et al. proved they're not great at working under someone else's mandate, and that their own ideas interest them far more than churning out the cash cow Sega originally hoped for. With their past mistakes being, well, in the past, I'm not especially troubled by the notion of supporting Borderlands 3, as it's a franchise I love.

I just tend to get a little peeved when someone tries to go Conscientious Objector on me and more or less asks me how I feel about patronizing embezzlers and liars. My answer usually is that I'm giving my patronage to the Borderlands dev team, to individual artists, programmers and animators that need the money to live - and not to the people who probably genuinely thought the company's port expertise might allow it to hit a twofer out of the park with Borderlands 2 *and* A:CM in simultaneous development.

They were wrong, they shit the bed in trying to hide their incompetence in the matter, and then did their best to try and refocus on what they *do* actually do best. I'd call that a lesson learned.

ObsidianJones said:
But let Jack Rot.
My sentiments exactly. If Hyperion's supposed to be a meat grinder for career psychopaths and sociopaths-in-waiting, then someone else is bound to have picked up Jack's position.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Second game was a great evolution on the original concept. But the spin-off was like Arkham Origins. It was also made by a different team. But that's not the point. The point is that next Borderlands can't be like Borderlands 2 even though I love Borderlands 2. I don't want to play the same game again.

Borderlands 3 will have to be very different from the second one without sacrificing what Borderlands is about and what it feels like. So the key is in creative ambition. They should go nuts instead of worrying about what sells.

That might be hard to accomplish, but it's not impossible. CDPR did it, Rockstar did it, Kojima did it etc.

Level design is what needs to evolve the most IMO. And I don't mean aesthetically. Aesthetics are good, but the overall structure of the landscape is boring. They shouldn't be afraid to make smaller, more unique and diverse looking locales instead of enormous but boring to traverse open areas.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Character creation! Let me make my own whacky character!

Also get whacky with the guns. One of the selling points is random gun generation but add in some weird effects...play some Ratchet and Clank for ideas.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm down to clown for more Borderlands, let's just please get over Handsome Jack.
Oh so very much this. What a piece of crap villain, basically ruined 2 games.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Saelune said:

Also get whacky with the guns. One of the selling points is random gun generation but add in some weird effects...play some Ratchet and Clank for ideas.
Character creator isn't very important in an fps unless they make a proper third person view. I'm more for gun creation. Creating new guns from parts could be fun if it's properly implemented or a chore if it isn't.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
major_chaos said:
Top three things I would like to see from this:
1. Don't be a shameless "more of the same but slightly worse" cash grab like The Pre-Sequel
2. More active abilities. Both Borderlands and Destiny gave you disappointingly little in terms of usable abilities, with most of your build consisting of passives so now I would like to see one of these shooter-looters try a full Diablo-lite skill bar/wheel.
3. Lower reload times. So many of the guns in BL2 that actually did respectable damage suffered from minuscule mags and glacial reload speeds more akin to what a 100 round LMG would take in other shooters and it made the gunplay feel clunky at times.
Not sure why you thought TPS was more of the same but slightly worse when it quite literally improved on nearly every little thing from BL2.

Guns of the day were actually useful and could roll legendaries.

Loot drops were actually rewarding more often and you didn't need to spend hours farming for a single shitty legendary.

Every single talent was actually useful and there were (almost) 0 boring ass stat boosts. You picked a talent and you'd notice a drastic change in how you played.

Your abilities were super duper impactful instead of, again, boring stat boosts. "Oh I have a turret that has almost 0 interaction with myself, yay..."

You could play as Claptrap (worth the price of admission right there)

Elemental weapons weren't friggin awful (except fire since it only worked less than half the time). By extension, True Vault Hunter mode was balanced to a point you weren't forced to carry Slag weapons because you could actually outdamage enemy health regeneration without it.

The only things that BL2 did better than TPS was the dlc (TPS dlc was really weak, other than Claptraps brain), and having Gaige because I missed Gaige.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Saelune said:

Character creator isn't very important in an fps unless they make a proper third person view. I'm more for gun creation. Creating new guns from parts could be fun if it's properly implemented or a chore if it isn't.
But co-op is a big part of the game, and 4 Liliths is lame.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Do people really want to pay another sixty dollars just to shoot hockey-mask-wearing junkies in an abandoned lot for the fourth time?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I don't know why every videogaming news outlet ever is reporting on this, but Im pretty sure that Borderlands 3 was announced back in January 2015, when Gearbox/Randy Pitchford very publicly announced that they were hiring for the damn thing.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
JCAll said:
Saelune said:
But co-op is a big part of the game, and 4 Liliths is lame.
Four Liliths? Ha! As if you need more than one.
My point is I hate multiples of the same specific character. Its why I hate this character roster obsession in games like Battelborn and Overwatch. Even CoD is getting in on this trope and I'm not into it.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
So who will the new Vault Hunters be? Or are we going to get to choose from all the existing ones? And will one of them be Tiny Tina? I just want more Tiny Tina.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
I had a ton of fun with BL2, but i'm still a bit dissapointed that I never got to fully experience all of the DLC (which I own.)
I never even entered the Captain Scarlet DLC, and I never experienced the level 72+ content because I couldn't get friends to stick around all the way through UVHM.

Pre-sequel was a boring, unbalanced mess. Because of that i'll be keeping an eye on BL3 to make sure the game turns out to be something worth a buy. It also needs to be unique enough to warrant a second playthrough. I'm not going to buy another Borderlands 2, I've already had my fill of it.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
shintakie10 said:
o2 kits were a badly implemented nusince, the vertical level design was tedious, lasers were OP as sin, non-Athena supers were lackluster, story and writing were far worse, Claptrap needs to die slowly in a fire, shops offering great items defeats the point of a loot driven game, ect.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Nuuu said:
I had a ton of fun with BL2, but i'm still a bit dissapointed that I never got to fully experience all of the DLC (which I own.)
I never even entered the Captain Scarlet DLC, and I never experienced the level 72+ content because I couldn't get friends to stick around all the way through UVHM.
I know the pain well brutha.

OT

Sign me up bro. Loved all 3 so far bring on the fun times.