Borderlands Accidentally Censored in Australia

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Maze1125 said:
If Australia isn't meant to get the low violence version, then who was the low violence version made for?
Germany, perhaps? If memory serves, they have restrictions on gore that makes Australia look almost reasonable.

I guess game makers have become so used to Australian censorship, that they're doing it out of habit. That happened faster than I thought.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Therumancer said:
Hmmm, well honestly I kind of think that they probably censored it pro-actively to avoid criticism in hopes of getting a "free hand" with other games. They were probably assuming that nobody would notice the censored version unless they somehow compared them (and imports would be at an all time low for it, since the aussie version would be viewed as uncensored).
Well, I doubt this is true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Somehow we've managed to accrue this "stupid country" reputation (I wonder how? Hmmm...), and I wouldn't put it by others to see just how much they can get away with.

However, I really do think this was just an accident; I'm so forgiving in that way! :)

Just get it fixed quick-smart, chop-chop boys, and we'll never speak of it again.

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
"Arbitrary, often random"?

I don't mean to be the middle school teacher, but both words basically are synonymous.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
zombie711 said:
fisrt madworld was band then LFD2 was band, the LFD2 was super censored, and now borderlands is cencored. it's the anti Zero punctuation conspiracy case. A Conspiracy damn it A Conspiracy!!!
Purin?
(Reference cookie anyone?)

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Slightly off topic but... Australia is a great example of why I fervently oppose powerful, centralized government. Governments simply should not be ABLE to ramrod things like a classification board down their citizens throats-- and what are the aussies left to do? They can't even vote the classification board guys out of office.

And what are the odds of a party with an anti-classification-board platform gaining enough legislative clout to torpedo a government agency?

Not high.

What was that old saying about good intentions?

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Jinx_Dragon said:
Maze1125 said:
If Australia isn't meant to get the low violence version, then who was the low violence version made for?
my bet... foresight. They knew screwed up countries like... well Australia... might very well ban a game now because it dares to display a single drop of red on the screen when someone is shot. So in order to release world wide at the same time, as opposed to forcing a whole market to wait six months to a year like is usual for us down here, they planned ahead. This alone should be a dire warning for Australia. Part of me feels it only just made it in with a 15+ rating too, so it was pretty good foresight.
What the fuck are you on? How is Australia a screwed up country?

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
You Aussies need to seriously do some shit. I can't believe you guys aren't doing anything like rioting. I heard they basically fuck you guys over on everything.
Get your facts straight, they banned a few very violent video games, which is, they did nothing of any significance at all.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Nothing accidental about it.

JimmyBassatti said:
traceur_ said:
JimmyBassatti said:
You Aussies need to seriously do some shit. I can't believe you guys aren't doing anything like rioting. I heard they basically fuck you guys over on everything.
Get your facts straight, they banned a few very violent video games, which is, they did nothing of any significance at all.
I thought they also censored a ton of other shit. No need to get your panties in a bunch?
You don't know anything about us or our panties. Yeah, we're pissed off about some of the rulings, but since they guy who could change the way things work, won't do anything because he thinks he's taking the moral high ground, we can't do anything. Riot, or no.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
zombie711 said:
fisrt madworld was band then LFD2 was band, the LFD2 was super censored, and now borderlands is cencored. it's the anti Zero punctuation conspiracy case. A Conspiracy damn it A Conspiracy!!!
Since when was MadWorld banned here? I see plenty of copies in EB Games.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
JimmyBassatti said:
Radelaide said:

JimmyBassatti said:
traceur_ said:
JimmyBassatti said:
I thought they also censored a ton of other shit. No need to get your panties in a bunch?
You don't know anything about us or our panties. Yeah, we're pissed off about some of the rulings, but since they guy who could change the way things work, won't do anything because he thinks he's taking the moral high ground, we can't do anything. Riot, or no.
Hmmm...
I have no idea what your talking about... so here is a bunny with a waffle on it's head.
Bah! I meant to direct that to the other guy. But thanks for the wafflebunny!

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
JimmyBassatti said:
Radelaide said:

JimmyBassatti said:
traceur_ said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Hmmm...
I have no idea what your talking about... so here is a bunny with a waffle on it's head.
I love you.

Yea, this is pretty ironic. I feel for you Aussies, it has to suck being censored to no end.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I always find it somewhat ironic that despite Australia being Britain?s largest penal colony it has some of the strictest censorship on violence. It?s like they're trying too hard to show the world that they aren't anything like their ancestors anymore.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Graustein said:
zombie711 said:
Since when was MadWorld banned here? I see plenty of copies in EB Games.
my bad, i just lokke it up and it was not banned it was given a barley 15 rating. I must have read that in an old copy of onm