Borderlands Creative Director Brings Anthony Saves the World to The Escapist

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Borderlands Creative Director Brings Anthony Saves the World to The Escapist

Gearbox Software Creative Director Mikey Neumann and "Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin'?" creator Anthony Burch are bringing their independent web series Anthony Saves The World right here to The Escapist.

The Escapist is proud to announce that we have signed the writers of Borderlands and "Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin'?" [http://www.gametrailers.com/game/hey-ash-whatcha-playin/11350] to bring one of the best indie internet video series around exclusively to you - our community and readers.

Anthony Saves the World [http://anthonysaves.com/] will be relaunching here on The Escapist in two weeks' time. Its creators describe it thusly:

[blockquote]Anthony Saves the World is a joint show between writers Mikey Neumann (Borderlands) and Anthony Burch (HAWP, attempting to steal Mikey's Borderlands thunder) about a couple of dorks saving the effin' world. Establishing a genre would be pigeon-holing a bird that just wants to fly (also, "comedy" works too.) While not about anything in particular, ASTW takes the best aspects of a lot of science fiction and effortlessly mutates them it into something that cannot be deemed "science" or "fiction." Or probably even good. Why are you here? Is it the time travel? I can tell you, people have done that better. Time Bandits was pretty good. Just go check that out on Netflix and pretend we never had this conversation.[/blockquote]

"Mikey is one of the most innovative creative voices in games right now," said The Escapist Editor-in-Chief Russ Pitts, "and Anthony has been a friend of The Escapist for a long time, writing for us for our feature magazine as far back as Issue 107, in 2007 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_107/1306-Blackmailers-Dont-Shoot]. For me, the only thing better than seeing the product of these two creative geniuses combined is being able to present that hilarity at The Escapist."

"We're super excited to be joining with The Escapist and their bevy of awesome shows," said Neumann. "We cannot wait to show you all the cool new episodes we have planned for this season!"

ASTW will relaunch here on The Escapist the week of February 1st, 2011, and will run every week for a ten-week-long first season.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Well, I look forward to seeing what they have to show to us.
Not much of a clue as to what it is, thanks to the confusing "description", but I'll happily sample it.
Maybe it will be the new There Will Be Brawl or Doomsday Arcade for this site <3

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
This sounds awesome. I've never heard of HAWP before but I'll probably check it out some time.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I saw this and was like WHOA! Thats my name.

But I like the idea and concept, so it will be cool to see.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
I love borderlands in every way and that includes it's writing (ok I don't like how after you get pretty much the best gear you don't have anything to do by that time) so I am looking forward to this.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
greenflash said:
Kind of looks like doomsday arcade.
That it reminds me of as well but I'm gonna give it a shot and hopefully I'll finally have something to watch on tuesday's now. :D

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
greenflash said:
Kind of looks like doomsday arcade.
I'd say that would be a good thing. I'd really love to have a series with a real story again.
Looking forward to next month!

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
thefreeman0001 said:
intresting idea. given the addition of some new videos this would be a welcome change...having a series of videos with a story line to watch rather then reviews, lists, things falling in slow motion etc
i miss doraleous and assosciates :(
And LoadingReadyRun's "commodoreHustle" mini-series isn't a story line? Huh, sure fooled me! :D

Anyway, I've heard a little bit about this series.. And I didn't mind the writing in Borderlands, so hell, this might be pretty neat!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
This sounds awesome! Any new stuff is always welcome, also I've watched some HAWP and borderlands has some great humour, so this has great potential. It'd be fun to have something with a somewhat coherent story, it's been a while since Doraleous left.
Looking forward to it!

The Random One

May 29, 2008
This is great news. Anthony is too good for Gametrailers. Oh and I guess that one game guy is cool too.

Too bad this prolly means curtains for HAWP, so I don't get to see Ashley's shenanigans any more. Then, again, I know too well Anthony's the mastermind behind that particular series.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
HankMan said:
Dam it! I can't watch the video cuz I don't have Facebook. HAWP looked alright though.
Actually, the previous episodes should have been taken down and should be re-hosted here from the 1st Feburary, if I understand the deal correctly.

This should be the 4th new series lined up for this year, assuming the other two Film Festival winners make it to release.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Great! I saw the first episode and loved it. I'm so glad The Escapist is committed to bringing in great talent rather than just focusing exclusively on game news and reviews.

If The Escapist and TGWTG.com somehow joined forces I would have no need for the address bar on my browser. Nabbing Lisa from the Angry Joe Show was a good first step.

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
The Random One said:
This is great news. Anthony is too good for Gametrailers. Oh and I guess that one game guy is cool too.

Too bad this prolly means curtains for HAWP, so I don't get to see Ashley's shenanigans any more. Then, again, I know too well Anthony's the mastermind behind that particular series.
They mentioned in a recent interview [http://elder-geek.com/2011/01/magfest-9-interview-with-hey-ash-whatcha-playin-and-once-upon-a-pixel/] that they were planning to film more HAWP during the summer.

I enjoyed the pilot episode of ASTW, I'm excited to see it come to the Escapist.