Borderlands Has Sold 3 Million Copies

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Borderlands Has Sold 3 Million Copies

Speaking at the D.I.C.E. Summit, Randy Pitchford of Gearbox said that Borderlands [http://www.amazon.com/Borderlands-Xbox-360/dp/B000WMEEB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278969488&sr=1-1] has sold over 3 million copies worldwide and discussed his hiring strategy: don't hire "dicks."

At the Design, Innovate, Communicate, Entertain (DICE) Summit in Las Vegas, Pitchford discussed the fact that Borderlands was the fastest-selling original IP of 2009. As President, CEO, and co-founder of Gearbox, he highlighted his company's aggressive DLC strategy and how he has assembled a successful design team. Pitchford also said that he keeps his employees happy with several reward systems.

Pitchford said that the key to Gearbox's continued excellence at producing AAA games has been rewarding employees with programs like profit sharing in a game's monetary success, giving bonuses when significant milestones are met as well as discretionary awards based on merit alone. This seems to echo the sentiment discussed by Amy Hennig at Naughty Dog [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98209-Uncharted-2-Creator-Dropped-Out-of-Film-School-To-Make-Games] that, at its heart, the videogame industry is a meritocracy.

How do you keep a team happy and drama-free in such a competitive atmosphere? It comes down to their hiring strategy, which according to Pitchford is, "No drama, no dicks, no douchebags."

Wise words.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/19/borderlands-sells-3-milion-units-pitchford-discusses-gearbox]

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Well, I suppose, if there's no dicks, the company will run smoother. Quite a good hiring strategy he's got there.

Though, how does he turn dicks/douchebags down?
"I'm sorry, but we can't give you the position of lead animator, douchebag."

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Yes yes we all love borderlands, now can you take the fucking DRM out of you DLC so I can play it?!

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
Snotnarok said:
Yes yes we all love borderlands, now can you take the fucking DRM out of you DLC so I can play it?!
Yeah. im stuck in jacobs cove at the moment because I am not re-installing securom :D.

One of the reasons I got interested in the game was because of the enthusiasm Pitchford had, so... nice strategy!

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Darktau said:
Snotnarok said:
Yeah. im stuck in jacobs cove at the moment because I am not re-installing securom :D.

One of the reasons I got interested in the game was because of the enthusiasm Pitchford had, so... nice strategy!
Hopeless Bastard said:
Snotnarok said:
A group of helpful individuals have done that.

Though, personally, I can't stand to play the game anymore... Too easy.
THe game is fantastic, but I can't stand the limited access DLC that also fucks with the game breaking it from the reports I've read. Yeah the game's a bit easy but with friends it's still fun

You know what they're wrong about the no dicks and doushebags, they're all a bunch of dicks for putting the DRM on the DLC

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Douchebag" is such a douchebag thing to say.

[small]And it makes me feel ill when people say it; just like those creepy ads for them do.[/small]

TyroSe7en

Sep 7, 2009
Pitchford is probably my fav game dev guy out there :p

OT: Mainstream it is... tho when I first saw this thread I thought it said BomerLands as in Bomerman and I was like WHHUUUUUT!?!?!?!?!?! Alas...

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
A true man amongst men.

Also, its because the game is awesome.

Still no where near the amount of guns that are in the game.

theownerer

Aug 9, 2009
I agree with everything that yahtzee said about the always shooting the same guys in the desert and it should be dreadfully boring so why cant I stop playing it?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Asehujiko said:
Greg Tito said:
which according to Pitchford is, "No drama, no dicks, no douchebags."
So Randy can't stand competition?
Its like Battle of the Planets or Captain Planet but with game devs

Dennis Dyack!
"with the power of Drama!"
Bobby Kottick
"the power of Dick!"
Randy Pitchford
"the power of douchebaggery"

by our powers combined, we are .... an endless source of gaming news articles!

edit, I got all carried away and hit POST because I was so excited at myself coming up with a crap pop culture reference that I didn't add anything to the OT
anyway, crap statement regarding OT coming right up!

Pitchford discussed the fact that Borderlands was the fastest-selling original IP of 2009.
Thanks Randy, you told us that Borderlands was the best fastest selling new IP of 2009 when it sold 2 million copies, selling a million more doesn't change the fact, but its nice that its still selling.

Its also nice that an original IP sold so well too!.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
MurderousToaster said:
Well, I suppose, if there's no dicks, the company will run smoother.
I think I need to go to bed. I totally got a vagina vibe out of the word "smoother."

No dicks, only vaginas.

Ok, it's seriously time for bed.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
If I liked Oblivion and Fallout 3, will I like Borderlands?
OT: Those are the wisest words I've ever heard come out of a Games Designers mouth. Yes, even wiser than Peter Molyneux. [/sarcasm]