Borderlands: Hey, cut it some slack.

obex

Gone Gonzo ..... no ..... wait..
Jun 18, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
RAKtheUndead said:
That number of guns is absurd;
As absurd as being able to karate kick a helicopter to death?

The internet is the only place this is a valid counter argument.

tsolless

Jul 15, 2009
The art style is kind of perfect for the game considering that it is going for a dark comedic angle.

If you look at the early concept art you can see that this is what they were going for all along.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The art direction helps it stand out, it looked like a dreary piece of crap and I payed no notice what so ever to it.

The game has been stated to be un-serious. And on the guns, there's like 500,000 randomly generated combinations. Yes that is true - read a preview on it recently. Not sure if the number is right, but it's definately in the thousands at the very least, trumping the "10-20" not a zaar mentioned.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
Wikipedia(If it's to be believed) said that the # of guns is 3,166,880, according to this [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/07/28/borderlands-has-3166880-different-weapons]

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
I really like the cartoon-y art stlye. To the point that I think anyone who says otherwise is stupid.

I have to say most of what I know about it is that it's like a Sci-Fi FPS Diablo like thingy and that people have made jokes about you getting that baffiling numbers of guns from the stone head in Zardoz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbGVIdA3dx0

tsolless

Jul 15, 2009
Woodsey said:
The art direction helps it stand out, it looked like a dreary piece of crap and I payed no notice what so ever to it.

The game has been stated to be un-serious. And on the guns, there's like 500,000 randomly generated combinations. Yes that is true - read a preview on it recently. Not sure if the number is right, but it's definately in the thousands at the very least, trumping the "10-20" not a zaar mentioned.
Much more. A leaked debugging screenshot showed the number to be over 3 million and the developers are claiming that the number has increased a fair amount since then.

DJude

Jul 1, 2009
this game looks like it was rushed, HORRIBLY rushed, just because it has that many weapons doesnt mean it'll be fun, and theres NOTHING at all about it that is original

like i said, rushed...

oh yeah,
Horticulture said:
It looks great, I just hope it doesn't end up as disappointing as Hellgate.
dont worry, it will be

Pm0n3y

An emaciated shadow
Jul 29, 2009
Ganado_Headshot said:
So naturally I was very dissapointed when they made the change to the more cartoon-esque style of graphics.
Crackdown did the same thing, and Crackdown is one of the better games in my 10 game Library.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Ganado_Headshot said:
I recently saw the new trailer for Borderlands, and to be quite honest, I was apalled. I had seen earlier videos, and I thought it looked like the best game I'd ever laid eyes on. So naturally I was very dissapointed when they made the change to the more cartoon-esque style of graphics. I couldn't believe it. I had given up on the game. I was prepared to let the release date slip by unnoticed. I saw the trailer a few more time, and each time I watched it, I noticed a new interesting tid-bit about it. I watched it more and more, and I reallized hey, this game could actually be pretty sweet. I'm now looking forward to it with anxiety, I really can't wait. I can forgive the art style they are going for, because hey, 187 bazillion guns is just awesome.

Any thoughts on the subject? Did anyone have the same reaction? Who thinks it'll be good, and who thinks it'll be bad. I wanna hear your thoughts. Go nuts!
I like games with strange art styles it makes them more interesting. I hope that bazillion weapons thing doesn't backfire (i.e. "Oh look, a shotgun with a sniper rifle scope!") otherwise I'm psyched for this game.

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Lord Thodin said:
Excuse me sir, being able to karate kick a helicopter is the only reason that I dont believe in gravity any more.
I never said it wasn't awesome.
It's just absurdly awesome.
Touche' sir. I concur. [sub]Blows bubbles from pipe[/sub]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
VENN724 said:
this game looks like it was rushed, HORRIBLY rushed, just because it has that many weapons doesnt mean it'll be fun, and theres NOTHING at all about it that is original

like i said, rushed...

oh yeah,
Horticulture said:
It looks great, I just hope it doesn't end up as disappointing as Hellgate.
dont worry, it will be
Rushed? In what way?

They were developing it and then they overhauled the entire game to change the art direction because it wasn't working. More developers should be prepared to do things like this if a game isn't going as planned, not just blunder on.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Woodsey said:

They've got a little bit more than 500,000 combinations now. More like 17,000,000. Approximately.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
That number of guns is absurd; who the hell would be able to make parts for that many firearms? There's a reason why armies tend to standardise as much as possible.
The weapons are RPG-style: a limited number of parts, a vast number of combination of those parts. Of course everyone has already told you that, but I just like to jump on the bandwagon here.

Anyway, I'm more excited about Rage than about Borderlands. Not because of the graphics, o no I lóve Borderland's graphical style. But Borderlands contains too many monsters for my taste, I'd like a bit more realistic post-apocalyptic setting. More Mad Max, less Monster Hunter.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Rusty Bucket said:
Woodsey said:

They've got a little bit more than 500,000 combinations now. More like 17,000,000. Approximately.
Oh well, I was close... what's another 16.5 million here or there anyway?