Borderlands movie trailer

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland

Ugh

That's all to say really. Looks like a bunch of cosplay. Characters are all wrong, the tone is just "we have Guardians of the Galaxy at home", casting's a bunch of big names and the jokes aren't funny. It feels like videogame adaptations are roughly at the point where superhero adaptations were 2-3 years before Iron Man: A few have gotten it right, but we still get plenty of absolute stinkers, which this looks for all the world to be. Though what should you expect when the biggest claim to fame the trailer has is "from the producers of Uncharted and Venom"?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
With the spiderverse movie showing that you absolutely have a big success with animation, why make this as live action? One of the most, if not the most, memorable thing about the borderland franchise is the artstyle, and they decide to adapt it without that element...

Reactions: BrawlMan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
IMO Lilith looks a bit too old. She was 27 in BL2, and then 34 in BL3. Here looks like Lilith is in her mid 40s. Tannis especially

Tiny Tina doesn't feel insane enough; Wouldn't she just laugh at the fact that she got some nasty stuff on her and proceed to blow shit up?

Jack Black voicing Claptrap is amazing, though.

The atmosphere seems on point

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Ugh

That's all to say really. Looks like a bunch of cosplay. Characters are all wrong, the tone is just "we have Guardians of the Galaxy at home", casting's a bunch of big names and the jokes aren't funny. It feels like videogame adaptations are roughly at the point where superhero adaptations were 2-3 years before Iron Man: A few have gotten it right, but we still get plenty of absolute stinkers, which this looks for all the world to be. Though what should you expect when the biggest claim to fame the trailer has is "from the producers of Uncharted and Venom"?
IMO Lilith looks a bit too old. She was 27 in BL2, and then 34 in BL3. Here looks like Lilith is in her mid 40s. Tannis especially

Tiny Tina doesn't feel insane enough; Wouldn't she just laugh at the fact that she got some nasty stuff on her and proceed to blow shit up?

Jack Black voicing Claptrap is amazing, though.

The atmosphere seems on point

Reactions: Piscian

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I think will fail, but not fantastically. Its got that suicide squad vibe where the trailer is noisy enough that this is something parents will let their kids go see to get them out of the house. My guess? 200mil total.

As an adult, when I peer into the trailer, theres just...issues. Like a lot of it looks like shit. Unfinished CGI, Non-jokes where it's like the punchline...is..missing. I see this a lot in trailers where it feels like they are hyping up something...not in the trailer.

Something about it...just doesn't land. A lot of the character customes look unfinished from scene to scene. It's like if somebody gave Uwe Boll like 100mil to make one of his shitty cashin adaptations.

My crystal ball says that they had a lot of ideas and got.."something" together, but it reeks of a production mess.

The Tiny Tina stuff really sticks out. Shes supposed to be the comic relief with that extreme AHD energy and its just not there.

TBH I was out when it was Kevin Hart. Fuck I am so over him. It was the commercials that got to me. Lol "Hart fatigue"..yes.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think will fail, but not fantastically. Its got that suicide squad vibe where the trailer is noisy enough that this is something parents will let their kids go see to get them out of the house. My guess? 200mil total.
The trailer felt like this weird combination of Suicide Squad (2016) and GotG. Especially the former. Everything was screaming and taking me back to 2015 when SS 2016's trailer was first revealed. None of this landing for me, so I am not touching this.

Can someone please get me any word on that live-action Streets of Rage movie already?

Reactions: Piscian

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
My vague memory is that the player characters in Borderlands are generally on the dull side. I got the impression the humour is more about a bunch of relatively serious people cast onto a barking mad planet. So you've got Mordecai and Brick deleted and replaced with Tiny Tina and Tannis, and Roland turned into... Kevin Hart.

The "straight man" often exists in comedy for a reason. The problem to me here is potentially it just overloads on wacky and ends up annoying.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm gonna give it a go, mainly because I wanna see what Blanchett is gonna do with this role. I mean I've never touched Borderlands games cos they didn't seem like my jam so I suspect flubs will be more forgivable assuming I notice them at all.

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

As an adult, when I peer into the trailer, theres just...issues. Like a lot of it looks like shit. Unfinished CGI, Non-jokes where it's like the punchline...is..missing. I see this a lot in trailers where it feels like they are hyping up something...not in the trailer.

Something about it...just doesn't land. A lot of the character customes look unfinished from scene to scene. It's like if somebody gave Uwe Boll like 100mil to make one of his shitty cashin adaptations.

My crystal ball says that they had a lot of ideas and got.."something" together, but it reeks of a production mess.

The Tiny Tina stuff really sticks out. Shes supposed to be the comic relief with that extreme AHD energy and its just not there.

TBH I was out when it was Kevin Hart. Fuck I am so over him. It was the commercials that got to me. Lol "Hart fatigue"..yes.
Black and Hart, not all that surprising. Blanchett and Curtis OTOH kinda are, although the latter has been in some even bigger stinkers before.