Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Review - Taking The Elpis

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Review - Taking The Elpis

More of the same, but on the Moooooooon!

Read Full Article

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Cant say that verdict is a surprise.

Also Presequel was developed by 2K Marin, though that said im not sure how involved Gearbox was.

EPICGunner

Mar 26, 2011
gigastar said:
Also Presequel was developed by 2K Marin, though that said im not sure how involved Gearbox was.
The Pre-Sequel was developed by 2K Australia in collaboration with Gearbox.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
As one might expect, the story is packed with humor, with Jack once again providing the majority of the laughs, even with his more sympathetic characterization.
That's all I need to hear. I'm gonna try to pick this up day 1. At the very least, this will tide me over till Bayonetta 2. But since I love Borderlands, more of the same is fine with me!

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Oh, and some sensitive nice guys are going to hate the "friendzone" joke, but I laughed.
Did not see dat feel coming. >tfw no gf

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
This looks to be about as good as expected (or could have been expected) I feel like handsome jack is one if those things that's good for a bit but reeeaaaally easy to abuse

I am somewhat interested but.....this gives me flashbacks to assasins creed

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So Jim, is there any reason I should get the Pre-Sequel and not just mod in new characters to Borderlands 2? From the sounds to it, Pre-Sequel is not just more of the same, its a fresh coat of paint over a pre-existing paint job, and then sold a full price as something completely new.
I know Borderlands can be fun, but is this NEW fun? Or is it the same fun I can have by just starting a new character on a game I already own?

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
So I watched that gameplay preview that was going around a few weeks back an I must say, the humour didn't really grip me like it did with the second one. BL2 had me with the whole first comlink call by Handsome Jack and the whole Claptrap/Captain Flint thing. In this one, something about a cockney orphan, some chick helping you taking down her abusive boyfriend... the only moment that I found actually funny was when the door killed the supposed mid boss.

Gameplay itself seems to be an improvement, but I honestly don't play BL for the gameplay.. xD

Well, I'll want and see I guess. Maybe I'll buy it when it's on sale someday.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That's good to know since I had preordered it since I did enjoyed the sequel alot.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
As much as a loved Borderlands 2 (leveled all but 1 character to OP8) I kind of don't want to drop $60 on another Borderlands that hasn't had a giant revamp. At $40 I'd definitely consider it, but $60 no way. More of the same can definitely be good, but not for that price, and especially with added costs of future content. I'll probably only buy it when it comes out in a game of the year addition in the summer.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I almost preordered this. Then I remembered I still haven't completely finished Borderlands 2. Can't say that bodes well.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Rednog said:
As much as a loved Borderlands 2 (leveled all but 1 character to OP8) I kind of don't want to drop $60 on another Borderlands that hasn't had a giant revamp. At $40 I'd definitely consider it, but $60 no way. More of the same can definitely be good, but not for that price, and especially with added costs of future content. I'll probably only buy it when it comes out in a game of the year addition in the summer.
About my feelings on this game, I actually got back into BL2 about a month ago and am trying to get my first char through uvhm (Which is a nightmare since my internet connection sucks and forces me to go solo or deal with 400-1000 ping) and while I still love the game I just don't see the point on what looks like Borderlands ODST. Borderlands 2 was such a huge improvement over the first that nothing here really seems like it's worth picking up instead of playing the very full game I already have.

P.S. If anyone on PC has a spare legendary soldier mod at LV 61 I'd really appreciate if I could have it, UVHM is killing my axton waay too often. IGN is General Sherman

Sep 24, 2008
If one thought Handsome Jack was a giant ass and couldn't wait to bring the fight to him, is there any real draw to this game other than more of his stupid diatribes that gave so many people who thought Dr. House was a God boners?

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Got it pre-ordered (sorry Jim :) ), and I can't wait. The game looks like a lot of fun, and hey - if it's an FPS that takes things more seriously that folks are looking for, only a couple more weeks and Far Cry 4'll be out. :)

- THM

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Thank you for the review, I kinda expected more of the same. Maybe there will be a small surprise or two?

I would have liked BL3 vs the previous story stuff. I am going on the assumption they are working on a newer engine/platform to release the next game on so they get more bang for the buck running on the current game engine a bit longer.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm so stupidly excited for this to come out tomorrow it's not even remotely funny.

Will be fun to have a romp around the moon, and hopefully I can find a few people play with in order to create some shenanigans. :D

Good review Jim.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ah, so we know that Athena survives the main game then. That's what is really the driving factor for me in this game. We know what happens to everyone else, but she is a complete mystery. Looking forward to this tomorrow.