Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Unleashes The Lunar Fragtrap Fall 2014

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Unleashes The Lunar Fragtrap Fall 2014

The followup features jetpacks and oxygen tanks, but won't be developed by Gearbox.

[video=9032 autoplay=0]

So, Borderlands 2 was a pretty damn good game. It also was the biggest selling game in the history of its publisher, 2K Games, so you bet your pearlescent weapons there's going to be a followup. While Gearbox [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132254-Gearbox-We-Are-Not-Working-on-Borderlands-3]already confirmed[/a] that they're not working on a sequel, someone else is. Sort of. Everyone's favorite gun-collecting sim will continue in the form of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel courtesy of 2K Australia.

Set between the first two games, the The Pre-Sequel follows the story of how Handsome Jack became the murdering psychopath that he is. Instead of the anarchic wastes of Pandora, the game is instead set on Pandora's low-gravity moon. There will be four new characters, including Nisha the gun-slinging Lawbringer, Athena, the Gladiator (who showed up in General Knoxx), and Wihelm the Enforcer (who later becomes a boss in Borderlands 2). There's also Claptrap the Fragtrap because why not. And of course, they'll be an armory of new weapons, including new laser and cryo guns. This news basically confirms all the rumors that [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-now/9025-Is-a-Borderlands-2-Prequel-Coming]Andrea reported[/a] earlier.

Perhaps one of the more interesting additions comes from the lack of gravity and atmosphere on Pandora's moon. While players will have to do deal with limited air supplies, they can also use that air as a jetpack, propelling themselves long distances and crashing down into enemies. In the overview video, Gearbox's Randy Pichford and 2K Australia boss Tony Lawrence talk about how they made oxygen not just a resource, but a gameplay mechanic. It should be interesting to see how it plays out.

[gallery=2318]

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel will launch on the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 in fall 2014.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Their history was a bit difficult to get a hold on, but it looks like they worked on Bioshock, Bioshock 2 and The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. Please let this not be another Claptrap's Robot Revolution. I'm liking the look of the new guns and the locations so far. Still, pre-Alpha. I'll hope for the best.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
My only real concern is whether they can do the writing as well as it was done in BL2.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Fuck it. It's more Borderlands. I'm in. Which means I'll get it when they release the GOTY. There's just too much DLC for Borderlands games.

I want to play as that cowgirl. Double revolvers? Yes, please!

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Wow- four playables, and TWO are women! That has to count for something, I guess - that there are more playable women than men.

I mean, that's good for everyone else, I assume. So, cool.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed.

Borderlands is one of my favourite games, but I don't like playing female characters much, and the game does have a propensity for all of the murderable goons/common enemies being males, which kinda bothers me, but these are small potatoes.

As an aside, I'll enjoy trying out the claptrap, that'll be my fix for inhuman characters, for sure.

I'd love to be able to play a Skag, though!

It'd be like playing an alien from AVP, but you know, 3rd person, and, well, awesome.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
CAPTCHA: other worldly

Great...the Captcha's being a wisenheimer now.

Definitely looking forward to this. Especially because of the "You play as Claptrap...your argument is invalid" aspect.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It look like the year 2014 will be a good year for me gaming wise. I already preorder Child of Light and now I got another game to add to my list to get this year!

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
If the first picture is naything to go by: return of S&S? please yes.

Anyway, developed by GBX or not, fucking stoked.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
gigastar said:
My only real concern is whether they can do the writing as well as it was done in BL2.
I'm with you on this. The thing that really set BL2 apart from the first was its exceptional writing and the fact that it actually a plot, a world, lore, etc. I'll be worried if Anthony Burch isn't involved.

It's a nice surprise and a little bit of a disappointment at the same time. I'm happy to have more Borderlands and I'll certainly buy it and probably enjoy it, but it's disappointing that it isn't an all-new sequel.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
So how long is this game supposed to be compared to Borderlands or Borderlands 2? I don't know exactly why, but this seems to me like something that should be longer than a DLC pack but not quite as big as Borderlands 2.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I wish they'd made an actual trailer and not just two people talking about the game but regardless it looks quite interesting and I may pick it up.

electric method

Jul 20, 2010
Interesting. I've been wanting some new adventures in the Borderlands. Now, it looks like that's exactly what we are going to get. Heh. The only thing that has me a tad concerned is that it's not developed by Gearbox, but 2k Australia has done work on a few noteworthy games; So it should be a solid outing.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
As long as the air resource is just required to do special moves and such thats fine with me. If you start to die when it runs out then even it is only $20 I won't be getting this because I refuse to deal with superfluous nonsense like that tacked on to what was already a perfectly good wheel.

Aug 1, 2010
It'd be nice if they would just admit this is an expansion pack and sell it at a lowered price, but as augmented fellow with the gravely voice said, fuck it! It's more Borderlands!

At first I was feeling like having Claptrap be playable was a horrifically bad decision, but the massive bright side is that if he's a player character, it means he can't be an NPC and thus won't have hardly any dialog. I hope.

The only issue I see is the whole "Working for Jack" thing. Handsome Jack was a great villain specifically because he was such a hate-able piece of shit. I'll be interested to see how they're going to motivate the player to help him.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
the December King said:
Wow- four playables, and TWO are women! That has to count for something, I guess - that there are more playable women than men.

I mean, that's good for everyone else, I assume. So, cool.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed.

Borderlands is one of my favourite games, but I don't like playing female characters much, and the game does have a propensity for all of the murderable goons/common enemies being males, which kinda bothers me, but these are small potatoes.

As an aside, I'll enjoy trying out the claptrap, that'll be my fix for inhuman characters, for sure.

I'd love to be able to play a Skag, though!

It'd be like playing an alien from AVP, but you know, 3rd person, and, well, awesome.
Huh, ya know I never really took the Borderlands games seriously. More Just shoot stuff, explosions, loot, ect. So I find it kinda odd that anyone goes into this game with a role playing outlook. I mean, it's not like Skyrim where you character is a blank slate. The people you play as have there own personalities and back stories, not like there's much to imprint yourself on. And for that matter I would hate to deny myself a whole different class just because I didn't like the character model. but to each there own I guess.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Well, I guess we do get to go to the Hyperion Moonbase after all. I wasn't expecting it to be its own game though, but at least this means more Handsome Jack.

And I can't believe there's two female characters this time from the get-go! Finally! And they're not generic looking! It's kind of bizarre that Borderlands would be the herald of diverse female characters in shooters, but at least someone is trying.