Bosses/enemies you feel sorry about killing

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
The_Waspman said:
Dark Souls has that kind of effect on me overall though. For example:

After I killed Queelag and went downstairs to meet her sister, I joined her covenant. Stopped playing for a few months then came back to it. Went to see her and because I was still rusty on the controls, accidentally threw a firebomb at her. When you wound her she holds herself and starts shivering in pain. I felt absolutely terrible. Fortunately, she gets better.
If you really want to feel bad, try talking to her with the Old Witch's Ring equipped. It's the most depressing thing.

On the topic of Dark Souls, I felt awful for killing Sif. Guy was only attacking me because I was raiding his friend's grave. Then he starts limping when he gets to low health and can barely even fight back. And that was before I played the DLC, which makes that fight far worse.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
Andrew Ryan, obviously. van der LInde's army of indians in Red Dead Redemption. They were right, I wanted to say let my shrew of a wife die, I'm fighting on the right side. It's selfish to choose the genocide of a people over the death of your family.

And retrospectively, almost every enemy in Spec Ops.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
Sniper Wolf and Psycho Mantis on Metal Gear Solid, I really feel sorry for them :( actually Hideo Kojima does a good job trying to put you on your enemies shoes while hearing/reading their backgrounds and understanding the "why" of their actions in the MGS series

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Rabid Toilet said:
The_Waspman said:
Dark Souls has that kind of effect on me overall though. For example:

After I killed Queelag and went downstairs to meet her sister, I joined her covenant. Stopped playing for a few months then came back to it. Went to see her and because I was still rusty on the controls, accidentally threw a firebomb at her. When you wound her she holds herself and starts shivering in pain. I felt absolutely terrible. Fortunately, she gets better.
If you really want to feel bad, try talking to her with the Old Witch's Ring equipped. It's the most depressing thing.

On the topic of Dark Souls, I felt awful for killing Sif. Guy was only attacking me because I was raiding his friend's grave. Then he starts limping when he gets to low health and can barely even fight back. And that was before I played the DLC, which makes that fight far worse.
Unfortunately I am unable to talk to her because
I killed that Worm guy who guards her. What the hell else was I supposed to do? He looked like all the other enemies in the area who tried to lay eggs in my face, and he was crawling towards me!

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I kind of feel bad about killing security guards. Especially guards of non-nefarious facilities. Dude was just trying to feed his kids, ya know?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
The Boss from MGS 3 by far. The whole scene is fantastic, the black and white sneaking suits, the field of flowers, her speech both before and after the fight and the pivotal gun shot. When ever I do it now, I always make sure it's an almost entirely CQC fight and only use my pistol for dramatic effect. It just feels so wrong sitting on the other side of the field sniping her, at least let the damn woman go out in style!

I also seriously hate the fact that in the HD re release it fires automatically after about 2 minutes.

Plus there the horse scene in Peace Walker which ties Snake in with the player nicely, given it's sparking memories for both you and Snake.

Sniper Wolf was also pretty sad as well, especially since Otacon was so hopelessly infatuated with her.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
The_Waspman said:
Unfortunately I am unable to talk to her because
I killed that Worm guy who guards her. What the hell else was I supposed to do? He looked like all the other enemies in the area who tried to lay eggs in my face, and he was crawling towards me!
I'm pretty sure you can still talk to her. I killed Eingyi on one of my characters, and I was still able to interact with her. Didn't try it with the ring on that playthrough, but I still got the "..." and had the option to join the covenant.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
I hated killing the gnomes in Risen. They're sort of pesky little thieves, but that's all, and my character just wiped them out. I love having one as a companion in Risen 2, but what you learn about their society makes killing them in the first game that much worse.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Jimmy T. Malice said:
The Wykydtron said:
So any particular enemies tug your heartstrings when you're plunging a knife into their hearts?

Rare Dark Souls example, Crossbreed Priscilla. Apparently i'm one of those rare people who waved her goodbye and jumped off the cliff to safety. I honestly can't see a reason why you would even consider killing her since she's questionably the only truly innocent person in the entire game, from what little i've pieced together from the story elements.

Oh and if you killed her for the phat lootz get out of my sight you terrible, terrible person. You have no place in this world!
Crossbreed Priscilla is far from truly innocent. She claims that the Painted World is a peaceful place with kind inhabitants when it's full of bloated suicide-mutants, spear-wielding blobs and other monstrosities. She's also probably the daughter of Seath the Scaleless, and presumably she was banished to the Painted World for some reason.

Another example in Dark Souls would probably be Great Grey Wolf Sif, since he starts limping around when you are close to killing him. I still don't feel sorry for him, since he was trying to kill me up till that point, but many players say they do.
Crossbreed is also there protecting the gods from the dangerous contents of the painted world. I dislike all of the gods and any of their allies in Dark Souls. Imo they're bastards.

Saying that I felt bed for killing sif after completing the DLC with him in before fighting him, he doesn't want to kill you in the altered cutscene, but he still wants to stop other people traveling to the abyss (maybe to protect you?)

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Zhukov said:
Bioshock, the Big Daddies.

There they are, minding their own business, just protecting talkative little girls, when some drugged-up jerk runs along and starts launching grenades and spraying them with electric gel.

They will happily leave you alone if you don't provoke them. Heck, they even give you a warning to back off if you get too close.
The only positive of killing them is that you're freeing the Little Sisters >.>.
It was really heart-breaking if you let a little sister die near the end of the game. You're trying your best to protect them and then a Splicer just kills her. To think you did that to a dozen Big Daddies is just terrible.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
I'm surprised no one has put any of the Kingdom Hearts games yet.

'Cause when you have to kill Xion, that punched me right in the stomach. Felt bad about killing Axel as well.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
Yellow 13 and 2 in Ace Combat 4. That scene was just really, really sad. Sort of, "Yes! I beat them! Awwwww..."
The way the game's story is told, the missions focus on the player and a parallel story told through some really pretty watercolor cutscenes tells about a boy orphaned by the war who befriends some pilots, a man and a woman, of the enemy air force-- it is eventually revealed that they are Yellow 13 and 2, respectively. In one of the missions where you fight the Yellow Squadron, a recurring boss team, you are only able to shoot down a damaged one of the enemy planes. Right after the "mission complete" screen, it cuts to the boy and Yellow 13 crying, since you killed Yellow 2. After the 2nd to last level you shoot down Yellow 13, and then are treated to a cutscene of the boy-- you just killed his father-figure and only real friend. It's actually also implied that the player accidentally kills the boy's parents in the first mission (a crashing plane lands on his house).

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Jimmy T. Malice said:
The Wykydtron said:
So any particular enemies tug your heartstrings when you're plunging a knife into their hearts?

Rare Dark Souls example, Crossbreed Priscilla. Apparently i'm one of those rare people who waved her goodbye and jumped off the cliff to safety. I honestly can't see a reason why you would even consider killing her since she's questionably the only truly innocent person in the entire game, from what little i've pieced together from the story elements.

Oh and if you killed her for the phat lootz get out of my sight you terrible, terrible person. You have no place in this world!
Crossbreed Priscilla is far from truly innocent. She claims that the Painted World is a peaceful place with kind inhabitants when it's full of bloated suicide-mutants, spear-wielding blobs and other monstrosities. She's also probably the daughter of Seath the Scaleless, and presumably she was banished to the Painted World for some reason.

Another example in Dark Souls would probably be Great Grey Wolf Sif, since he starts limping around when you are close to killing him. I still don't feel sorry for him, since he was trying to kill me up till that point, but many players say they do.
he limps? i didnt notice, because i had 2 helpers for that fight and we just blew him the hell away.

seriously, took less time than pinwheel with paladin leroy helping. took almost as little time as ceaseless discharge (if you use the one technique which i shant mention here)

for me, if the enemies are given dialogue, it tends to make me feel bad for killing them.

for example, 99% of deus ex Human Revolution. there were exactly 2 times i killed anyone. upper hengsha (the one part where you are put in a situation you really cant sneak out of, and the tranq rifle doesnt work fast enough to make knocking out everyone an option)

and in canada. i dont remember what city it was. waiting for the elevator. i put a turret at each entrance and just waited, because it seemed like a good idea at the time.

also, whenever im playing 40k, space marine, i feel terrible for killing those orks. all they do is cry out in emotional distress, and run at you with open arms, hoping for a hug no doubt, but the game wont let me comfort them, so i have no choice but to end their misery.

sleep well my little greenskins, cry no more, for your pain is over.

its because they always cry out WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH, which on paper could be interpreted as the other kind of cry

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Jimmy T. Malice said:
The Wykydtron said:

Well considering all other bosses are jumping on my face the moment I come in the door having a nice dragon lady talk to me and offer a way out kinda throws her into my good books a little. Plus DS' story is so overly subtle and often not even there makes the fact that she is one of the only friendly faces out in the world take complete precedence.

I suppose next you'll tell me Gywnevere was actually plotting to kill me and seize some o' dat power right?

I like the "story" of Dark Souls don't get me wrong but there's being subtle, there's having fuck all happen and then there's Dark Souls sitting in some bizarre middle ground. There must be something wrong with a story when reading the wiki is a requirement to understanding the majority of it.

It needs a baseline is what i'm saying. You can't read into subtle things properly when you don't have a handle on the basic plot.
Actually, No she wouldn't because she's not even around anymore, she left to marry the "King of the Sun" who's name a cannot remember and who we've never even seen, that big ole lady? Hit her with your sword, see what happens.

Thing with Dark soul's is that its very "i wont tell you the story, you must read the story". all the Lore you can take from the item drops stories are immense. Its how you piece it all together with what you know or with whats been said. An example of that would be say "The Bed Of Chaos". On my second playthrough Kaathe mentions on the Sly that it is actually the Witch of Izalith. Another would be Tarkus, They don't tell you about him, you hear about him from NPC's and then sadly find his corpse (outside Priscilla's realm no less, some badass). Then there's Ceaseless Discharge story, and then there's the question of who the son of Gwin is. There is so much story to this game, its just really subtle, hidden, or up for interpretation. But i'll stop here because i'm ranting, I really think someone should make a Dark Soul's Lore thread!.

By the way, i wouldn't recommend listening to the Wikia for any lore past understanding the basics of a character or area. It doesn't really take into account a lot of things and i swear they change it every five minutes editing in or out things that someone else doesn't agree with. Eh, i rant.

I did kill Priscilla though, being the whole anti-thesis of life didn't hold her much endearment to me. I also felt i was putting her out of her misery, Falorn thing that she was, born from suspected rape and experimentation, gotta mess you up. Always wondered about that Doll though.

To be honest a lot of the Dark soul's bosses were sad, Sif for obvious reasons if you played the DLC. Artorias is a very tragic tale, Ornstein (But not Smough, the basterd). Queen Witch Queelag is sad, all she was doing was providing and protecting her sister. Ceaseless discharge is sad, the Bed of Chaos is sad. Hell even Gwin is kinda sad and tragic. The only one's i never cared for were Nito, Seathe and Pinwheel.

Midgeamoo said:
Jimmy T. Malice said:
The Wykydtron said:

Crossbreed is also there protecting the gods from the dangerous contents of the painted world. I dislike all of the gods and any of their allies in Dark Souls. Imo they're bastards.

Saying that I felt bed for killing sif after completing the DLC with him in before fighting him, he doesn't want to kill you in the altered cutscene, but he still wants to stop other people traveling to the abyss (maybe to protect you?)
Ooooo where'd you get that little note about Priscilla? :3

Sif is an interesting one to be sure. I always chalked it up to a profound sense of duty, he was the guardian of Artorias and the guardian of Artorias he shall always be regardless. Also to protect you as well i should think. Strange thought process going on for that wolf.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
CrazyBlaze said:
Infamous 2

Zeke. I mean the first time I did it I had to pause between each button press. I mean sure Zeke betrayed in the first game but I feel like he was really trying to improve in the second and some of the bro momments in the game with him and Cole. I mean. Its Zeke. He ends up being pretty cool.
InFamous 2 tugged on my feels more than I ever expected.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
The Wykydtron said:

Priscilla, Sif, and not an enemy but Quelaag's Sister (yeah, I felt terrible after that one even though I rationalized it to myself that I wasn't going to use her covenant anyway).

Priscilla's fight is really cool, though. You have to watch the ground to find her footprints because she turns invisible. Freakin' awesome.

The Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3.

And while I didn't feel sorry about the boss in question, the final fight in Terra's storyline from Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep was just so incredibly depressing.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
In Hitman and few other stealth themed games:
Pretty much anyone I sneak up on and garrote, choke, stab, inject, neck snap...WHILE TAKING A PISS. I mean, come on, bastard was taking a piss! How cheap is that. Plus imagine his body being found, with his whanger still hanging out of his pants...the dignity. This actually bothered me more than I thought it would. Especially if it's just a security guard or someone like that who was having a joke with his buddies earlier on. Poor guy deserved to go better then that. And to save a teeny bit of face, wouldn't you like, help him stash away his package or something, somehow without touching it. Agent 47 wears gloves, right?

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
This isn't for me personally, but a girl I know was sad after killing Demyx in Kingdom Hearts II. She was so frustrated with the battle itself, then he died in the cutscene and she cried "BAWW I KILLED DEMYX!!!"