Bosses/enemies you feel sorry about killing

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
In the Binding of Isaac there is a deformed crying enemy who coughs up flies that attack you, the enemy itself always tries to run and hide behind things to escape you. You can't progress to the next area until you kill everything in the room.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
From Deus Ex:
I felt kind of bad about killing Gunther Hermann. I killed his partner, who was in truth his only friend. He had every right to hate my augmented ass.
I knew his killphrase (Laputan Machine), I could've just killed him by saying those two words, but I didn't use it. I genuinely wanted to give him a fair fight.

Also, the many ways in which Walker must dispose of his fellow Americans throughout Spec Ops: The Line becomes increasingly distressing throughout. Especially
That guy you talk to after the White Phosphorus strike, the black guy whose face had been charred off. The countless innocents you condemned to agonizing firey death was bad enough, but actually talking to one of the victims is so much worse.
What made me feel even more sick was Walker's professional "You brought this on yourself" attempt at justification, as compared to Lugo and Adams' clearly expressed shock and horror at what they had done.

EDIT:
Bioshock Spoilers:
I would mention Andrew Ryan, but frankly, I don't think of that in the same light. Whereas the previous two mentions you killed on your own accord, Ryan actually wanted you to kill him. Sure, you're holding the bloodied golf club at the end of the scene, but I can't help but feel like Ryan was the true winner of that battle.

Sep 24, 2008
Seriously?

Seriously?

I'm the only one who felt bad for knocking down the Turrets in the Portal Series?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKVuPUY9D-A#t=0m43s

That 'whhyyy...?' breaks my heart every time. I want to explain that it was because it was shooting me a lot, but really there's no logic that can combat that sound of pure pity.

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
Oblivion: Shivering Isles.

I hated killing Jyggalag because it meant that Sheogorath, the funniest npc of any game I've ever played, was gone forever. If I'd just let the Greymarch happen then Sheogorath could have had another glorious era of chaotic rule, but I had to be a big damn hero and save the day, ridding the Elder Scrolls of the greatest npc it will ever know.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
Most early enemies in Xenoblade Chronicles, possibly later as well. Most of the time, the enemies are passive, so YOU initiate the slaughterfest. Some NPCs are adamant of making some animals go extinct. The worst are ones named "Daughter ____" because you can clearly see they are smaller and following their parents. Most quests task you with killing the parent, so you end up leaving a trail of orphans as you progress. Poor horseys.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
ObsidianJones said:
Seriously?

Seriously?

I'm the only one who felt bad for knocking down the Turrets in the Portal Series?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKVuPUY9D-A#t=0m43s

That 'whhyyy...?' breaks my heart every time. I want to explain that it was because it was shooting me a lot, but really there's no logic that can combat that sound of pure pity.
I shoved them into the emancipation grid, I found the screams to be highly entertaining.

The events after the white phosperous mortar for practially everone (except the knife nuts and the CIA operative, I let that bastard burn)

General Knoxx, what Roland could have become if he hadn't left the Crimson Lance.

The animals and gassfellas in Bastion, especially when I had to get a shard from a bastion they were trying to build.

Zulf, I can't imagine not bringing him back after hearing his story.

Captcha: which one is food? SOCKS!

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
There are a couple of bosses that I really wish I didn't want to kill but had to or wanted to.

Dragon Age: Origins spoilers
I didn't like killing Loghain in DA:O. Yeah he betrayed his son in law and the Grey Wardens and usurped power. He did it because he wanted to help his country.

I think the worse ones were in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 3 though.
I really hated killing Saren. He is kinda like Loghain. He just wants to help protect galactic life. He just went about it the wrong way. I also hated it when I killed Wrex and Mordin. I felt dirty when I killed Mordin.

Those are some of the bosses that I hated killing. Some of them pry don't qualify as bosses though but I still hated killing them.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
In Hitman and few other stealth themed games:
Pretty much anyone I sneak up on and garrote, choke, stab, inject, neck snap...WHILE TAKING A PISS. I mean, come on, bastard was taking a piss! How cheap is that. Plus imagine his body being found, with his whanger still hanging out of his pants...the dignity. This actually bothered me more than I thought it would. Especially if it's just a security guard or someone like that who was having a joke with his buddies earlier on. Poor guy deserved to go better then that. And to save a teeny bit of face, wouldn't you like, help him stash away his package or something, somehow without touching it. Agent 47 wears gloves, right?
Then why don't you wait until just the moment they've put their dicks back in their pants before taking them out? Or in the case of Hitman, go for the Silent Assassin rating where no one but the target(s) die(s)?
Haha that is what I do actually, whenever possible. Or just avoid that way altogether if it is. I think one of the early games had that as a prerequisite, like part of the tutorial(?)

And yes I'm one of those Hitman completionists that blast my way through a mission first up, then after learning the layout, slowly pick my way through for Silent Assassin. For every mission, every game (sometimes in multiple ways).

Hypno-Sheep

Jan 25, 2012
The final battle in portal 1 with Glados, when the little ball falls off her, you pick it up and it centres its eye on you and keeps asking questions. i felt so evil when i dropped it into the furnace.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
SmarterThanYou said:
This isn't for me personally, but a girl I know was sad after killing Demyx in Kingdom Hearts II. She was so frustrated with the battle itself, then he died in the cutscene and she cried "BAWW I KILLED DEMYX!!!"
Demyx? Wow.

I'm guessing she never played 358/2 Days.

Xion.

The entire game is spent making you like Xion. It seemed like it wasn't working all that well. I liked her, but she wasn't my favorite character. Certainly a part of the group though.

But it wasn't until she was gone that I realized how much I liked her, and you had to kill her yourself. Tears were to be had.

I actually thought the Demyx thing was kind of funny.

NO WAYYYY!!!!

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
The Sangheili in most Halo games.

'Rest in peace, noble adversaries. I wish my marine allies were as cool as you.'

Azkar Almsivi

Sep 3, 2012
I felt so guilty killing Quelaag that I joined the Chaos Servants and never left. The story of the Fair Lady's sacrifice and her suffering makes it the only covenant I can be in. I can't bear the thought of quitting.

Gwyn is extremely sad. The entire fight is horribly depressing and haunting. People who don't think it's sad mustn't be very good at reading. I know some of his actions were just to keep Giants above Humans, but still.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
So any particular enemies tug your heartstrings when you're plunging a knife into their hearts?

Rare Dark Souls example, Crossbreed Priscilla. Apparently i'm one of those rare people who waved her goodbye and jumped off the cliff to safety. I honestly can't see a reason why you would even consider killing her since she's questionably the only truly innocent person in the entire game, from what little i've pieced together from the story elements.

Oh and if you killed her for the phat lootz get out of my sight you terrible, terrible person. You have no place in this world!
I killed her and feel horrible about it, but in the black and black morality of Dark Souls, my horrible act doesn't particularly stand out, and the souls and unique weapon went a long way to helping me reach the game's conclusion.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Th Witcher spoilers:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The Grandmaster in The Witcher. That guy was just absolutely convinced he was doing the right thing and saving humanity from what he believed was an inevitable apocalypse. In the end, he had to be killed because he was simply too dangerous to be kept alive, but damnit, it didn't feel very nice.

I liked how in the second game, you were given choices on the fates of the antagonists/villains. That was a nice improvement I think.

RabbidKuriboh

Sep 19, 2010
Xion from KH Days, just god damn that ending was a straight shot to the gut

Also add in Sif for the umpteen reasons that are listed above me and the Moonlight Butterfly, in a game that is all death and desolation seeing that shining creature made me so happy when i entered the darkroot forest, but when i reached the end.....

May 29, 2011
The king in skyrim. Seriously I almost couldn't do it, I had to look away from the screen while pressing the spell button.

Arkham city, with most of the inmates. I mean they could easily be nice guys who robbed a small store, got an 8 year sentence and then got shipped off to a nightmarish hellhole where the absolute only way to survive was to join a violent gang where they get abused and constantly pitted against a 7 foot tall god of violence who dresses funny. It ain't fair.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
In guild wars 2, I can't stand having to fight/kill Skritt.

These adorable little ratmen/women who have the most ridiculously cute voices. I hate it when they're set to agro. Its like beating on hamsters. Just makes me feel bad when they say something like 'm.. maybe help will come..?' or something as they realize they're losing.

fuzz

Aug 27, 2012
I always feel bad when in kill The End in MGS3 by putting the internal clock forward, killing him of old age. Snake denied him his last battle.