Boy Brings Gun To School, Father Blames Minecraft

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Boy Brings Gun To School, Father Blames Minecraft

The father of a nine-year-old boy who brought a gun and bullets to school says the videogames are going in the garbage.

A nine-year-old Florida boy has been sentenced to "home confinement" after being caught with a handgun, a magazine with six rounds, a steak knife and a small sledgehammer. School officials say they discovered the weapons after the boy showed them to three other students, who immediately reported it.

Speaking to WFTV News [http://www.wftv.com/videos/news/father-boy-who-brought-weapons-to-school-was/vCDXPx/], the boy's father described him as a "good" and "caring" child, and pointed the finger of blame in the usual direction - but not at the usual games. He said his son brought the weapons to school to emulate "the zombie-slaying game" Minecraft, which he played "every day, for about an hour," and that as a result of the incident, "all those games are going in the garbage."

The good news for all involved is that even if the boy had wanted to go on a shooting spree, he couldn't have done so because, according to the father, the firing pin had been removed from the weapon. Even so, the gun is also "out," although the report isn't clear about whether that means it will be removed from the home or just not left lying around in quite so accessible a location. Either way, it's fortunate that nobody was hurt, and sadly predictable that videogames - and not, you know, wildly irresponsible parenting - would be given the bulk of the blame.

Source: WFTV.com [http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/student-found-weapons-orange-co-elementary-school/nZ8DK/?ecmp=wftv_social_201312470064]

Nov 28, 2007
...Minecraft is a zombie-slaying game? That's like saying Call of Duty is about learning the differences between guns. Sure, it is a possible aspect of the game, but a very minor detail nonetheless.

Edit: I have been made aware that the game is available in box form, so that part was wrong. Please stop correcting me on it.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I like how the father demonized him playing minecraft for an hour every day yet no mention of how his 9 year old "caring" son got a hold of a gun and ammo.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
So how did the boy get the gun and the bullets? Shouldn't they be locked up safely, preferably in separate locked containers?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I crafted a wood gun, knife, and hammer in Minecraft to kill zombies with because I didn't have the time before sunset to get enough cobblestone to make a rock gun.

GAunderrated said:
I like how the father demonized him playing minecraft for an hour every day yet no mention of how his 9 year old "caring" son got a hold of a gun and ammo.
They're all good kids until games make them kill. Hell, even Pat Pulling was fond of that one: She claimed her kid was perfectly fine until Dungeons and Dragons made him commit suicide, but then in later speeches said he was running around the backyard barking [http://www.rpgstudies.net/stackpole/pulling_report.html] and three weeks before he died all the family pets were mysteriously torn apart or disemboweled.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
He said his son brought the weapons to school to emulate "the zombie-slaying game" Minecraft, which he played "every day, for about an hour..."
Seriously? The kid only plays the game for a fucking HOUR a day and THAT'S the cause for this?! That barely even amounts to a hobby.

But no worries, keep on blaming those evil videogames, surely it can't be poor gun safety or anything like that right?

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
thebobmaster said:
...Minecraft is a zombie-slaying game? That's like saying Call of Duty is about learning the differences between guns. Sure, it is a possible aspect of the game, but a very minor detail nonetheless.

Also, good luck throwing away a game that is only available digitally.
It's no longer PC/XBLA only. You've been able to buy an XBox hardcopy since June 4th (http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Xbox_360_Edition).

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Even if he was carrying around the weapons because of Minecraft, I'm sure he would have known only to use them when there was no other option. You don't want to be stuck in the middle of school with a broken knife, let me tell you.

i64ever

Aug 26, 2008
One day one of these parents is actually going to take responsibility for their own child and a roar of astonishment will be heard across the internet. Even if Minecraft were to blame (which it absolutely isn't) it would still be the fault of the parent for allowing their child to come into contact with such a "negative influence". Come on folks, do some damn parenting!

Jan 27, 2011
You're shitting me, right?

MINE? CRAFT?! THAT'S what he's blaming? REALLY?

There aren't even GUNS in the game! *facepalm*

My concern is how he was able to get all that equipment and bring it to school

Actually, SCRATCH THAT. My concern is who was bullying this supposedly caring kid until he decided bringing a gun, knife and sledgehammer to school was a good idea.

Daaaah Whoosh said:
Even if he was carrying around the weapons because of Minecraft, I'm sure he would have known only to use them when there was no other option. You don't want to be stuck in the middle of school with a broken knife, let me tell you.
Not without a Golden Apple anyway.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
If he bought a pickaxe to school in an attempt to make an elaborate pit trap that empties into a lava pool, then, and only then, can you blame minecraft.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Wow that's a pretty neat house: nice details and charm, yet only basic materials and sensibly sized. Quite different from my usual blobs of wood planks.

Hm? What? Something about a gun?

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Wait.... Minecraft? So not mentioned in the news "report" was the bow and arrow, and 99 cobblestone blocks in his bag too.....

So what the father of the year has just pointed out is that he has NO CLUE what his son is really doing or he would have blamed a game that had some relation to guns. There are no guns in the game he blamed and nobody seems to have noticed this. So what was the kid really playing and for how many hours a day?

*edit*
Wait I saw his age so I know it was COD on Xbox 360 and he called me a mother#$@^er F@##^*! N*&&#$ the other day.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.829664-Minecraft-Video-Game-Violences-Latest-Victim Sorry Andy, someone else beat you to it.

Also if the kid was trying to live out Minecraft in real life why didn't he start by chopping down a tree?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Parents have got to be seen to be doing something I guess... accepting responsibility for their OWN poor decisions is clearly not one of them. But Minecraft, seriously? I mean if it had been COD, then sure, I can see how a 9 year old might be persuaded into thinking guns were fun toys.

But Minecraft?

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Bwahahaha, Minecraft!

If I didn't know how anal some people can be about video games I'd say that this concerned dad was trolling.

Gun control? Nah, blame video games.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
aegix drakan said:
Actually, SCRATCH THAT. My concern is who was bullying this supposedly caring kid until he decided bringing a gun, knife and sledgehammer to school was a good idea.
Probably that green kid in the sixth grade who hisses a lot. He's such a creep.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
aegix drakan said:
I'm still trying to figure out how he got out of the house and into the school with a sledgehammer. A knife you can conceal. A gun you can conceal. But a sledgehammer? At nine years old the thing is about as big as he is and half as heavy.

Xan Krieger said:
Also if the kid was trying to live out Minecraft in real life why didn't he start by chopping down a tree?
WITH HIS FISTS.