Boy Brings Gun To School, Father Blames Minecraft

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Another parent convinced that the sun shines naturally out of their child's rectum and that it's everyone else's fault for any trouble they get into. Now the kid is going to be a pariah at school and won't even have any way to blow off steam when he gets home. Congratulations on your shitty parenting.

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
thethird0611 said:
Shouldnt the boy of brought a bow and arrow and been able to hit a target square in the bullseye from 100 yards?

But yeah, this whole thing is just a dad trying to pass the blame off to video games instead of taking responsibility. I agree with a few of the people in this thread, where did he put the gun that allowed the child to be able to easily get it? To add to that, where did he have it that he needed to keep the firing pin out of it?
It might have been a show-piece that he never intended to fire, in which case it was probably openly displayed somewhere in the house. Although that then makes the presence of the bullets more puzzling.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
I think the article forgot to mention the dad specifically said "In this game, they use hammers to dig". I am incredibly saddened this is how low the "anti game" crowd was swooped.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
aegix drakan said:
Actually, SCRATCH THAT. My concern is who was bullying this supposedly caring kid until he decided bringing a gun, knife and sledgehammer to school was a good idea.
Probably that green kid in the sixth grade who hisses a lot. He's such a creep.
yeah, or maybe it was that tall bl... on second thought, never mind.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Heh, Minecraft.

Why just the other day I decided to build a floating dirt house outside, ride a minecart to work at the redstone factory, and then take a trip to the nether for some glowstone and quartz.

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
To be fair, a good chunk of the people I know who play Minecraft have at some point constructed giant death cannons.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
CardinalPiggles said:
Heh, Minecraft.

Why just the other day I decided to build a floating dirt house outside, ride a minecart to work at the redstone factory, and then take a trip to the nether for some glowstone and quartz.
How fucking dare you use minecarts, AND dirt. It makes us hard workers of stone and wood useless! Putting us outa jobs as you use metals your metals for tracks, AND dirt for buildings. I heard dirt is used for digging graves. Do you bury people alive? You monster.
And THIS. THIS just proves that minecraft is too realistic. I told them that when it started mimicing my job, with their 'high def animation of tree punching' I told them, that it was the start to a dark era. An era of guns, and bad parenting.
Does his father really not watch his kid at all to realize minecraft isn't about anything he just said, beyond zombies?

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Wait a minute. Are they sure the weapons were intended for fellow students, or was this merely a commentary on the terrible quality of the school dinners he was being served?

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
Maybe the gun WAS locked up safely. Maybe the kid found the key and unlocked it. It's entirely possible this isn't the fault of the father.

Anyway what baffles me more than anything else is "Mini sledgehammer."

What exactly is that? A hammer? Because if it's actually a smell sledge hammer I'm impressed a 9 year old managed to carry it all the way to school in his backpack along with a gun and a knife.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
And now an angry child shoots his father in the leg because of his tyrannical parenting. The games were gone and the gun was back on the coffee table. How can the world be so twisted?! BAN THE FILTH!!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I already said pretty much everything I needed to in the other thread about this so I'm just going to quote myself
canadamus_prime said:
Ok first of all, while I've never played Minecraft, I'm pretty sure they use pickaxes and shovels to dig not hammers. And second of all this has to be the biggest leap in logic in the crusade against video games I've seen yet. I don't think even a faceplam is enough to cover this. Perhaps a nuclear facepalm.
EDIT:
Just to illustrate:
[http://s410.photobucket.com/user/canadiansaiyan/media/Nuclear-Facepalm_zps973df7c1.jpg.html]
Seriously, MINECRAFT??? WTF? That's like blaming My Little Pony. Although...
It does beg to question how the kid got the gun in the first place, but no one wants to think about that. Nope let's just blame video games.

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
miketehmage said:
Maybe the gun WAS locked up safely. Maybe the kid found the key and unlocked it. It's entirely possible this isn't the fault of the father.

Anyway what baffles me more than anything else is "Mini sledgehammer."

What exactly is that? A hammer? Because if it's actually a smell sledge hammer I'm impressed a 9 year old managed to carry it all the way to school in his backpack along with a gun and a knife.
That's the thing, ya never know unless you saw everything right there. If the kid went through the trouble to get the gun from a safe..The kid probably thought it was a toy, or got dared by his buddys playing CoD to get it..Which in either case the Father should have taught the kid that a gun isn't a toy, it's a tool.

If there was undoubtful proof that the father had a safe, kept the guns securley locked up, and the key out of reach while teaching that the gun is a tool, that it can kill a living thing and not a toy to play bang bang with, then yea can blame the kid.

Also seen some pretty decent small ones that come apart and attach..so it's a possibity.

Von Dean

Feb 10, 2010
"Escapist commentator blames (very possibly) bad parenting and poor gun safety"

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
aegix drakan said:
Actually, SCRATCH THAT. My concern is who was bullying this supposedly caring kid until he decided bringing a gun, knife and sledgehammer to school was a good idea.
Who said he was bullied? He could have just brought them to school because he thought they were cool.

I know I probably would have when I was younger. Hell, in middle/high school, my friends and I semi-regularly brought home "weapons" or "weapon paraphernalia" that I found in the trails near my house, including knives, mining pics, spent/unspent shotgun shells, random pieces of metal, etc.

Kid probably didn't understand how paranoid our society is over a few trinkets that could hypothetically be used for harm but were likely kept because, frankly, weapons are kinda freaking sweet.

I know my friend was suspended for ten days because a piece of metal broke off of the lunch table and he put it in his backpack because, eh, it was cool. The school suspended him for having a "weapon."

Edit: Of course, that doesn't excuse blame from the parents not teaching his child proper gun safety, and keeping said guns locked until the child understands said safety.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
You know what? I am too steamed at this to even type now, so I'll just copy the comment I made elsewhere:

So, ignoring this "father's" startling lack of knowledge about the game his son plays (there certainly are zombies, but the game isn't /about/ them), I just have one question for him: Who left the gun in an unlocked container that's in reach of a 9-year-old child? Or maybe you did lock-up the gun, but Minecraft gave him the key? Please explain this chain of logic you used to come upon the conclusion that some piece of software on a computer is responsible for your child having unattended access to a gun; never mind what he did after gaining said access.

Also, I think it's completely absurd that the BOY is getting in trouble for this. He is NINE FREAKING YEARS OLD! He doesn't know what he did! He probably just thought the gun was cool and wanted to show it off to his buddies. He's a kid, that's how they think (which is to say, not completely thoroughly). He probably wasn't even planning to use the damn thing!

Why, in any news post I can find on this, has no one pointed the finger at the "man" who was supposed to be in charge in this house? Why is no one asking him "Why did you leave a gun unattended with a child in the house?" Why isn't anyone charging HIM for his child bringing a gun into school? Meanwhile he's just tap-dancing all over the lasted buzz craze (if this happened 50 years ago, you know he'd be blaming comics or rock music) and apparently getting-off scott free.

I think that's the thing that REALLY has me pissed about this. I'm used to video games getting scapegoated. It's ignorant, and completely baseless (and I honestly laughed at how much the dad sounds like Hank Hill, because that's just so fitting), but I'm used to it. No no, what pisses me off is that the KID is facing THREE criminal charges over this! He is in risk of having so much shit in his life fucked-up because his DAD couldn't be responsible. Meanwhile, what is the dad getting slapped with? His gun got taken away. And that's it, that I can find.
Seriously, if I knew this guy in person, like if he was a friend or a relative or something, I would have to flat-out stop seeing him. If he asked me why I refuse to see or speak with him, I'd just tell him; If I met-up with him, I would be way too tempted to beat the shit out of him for what he did to his son, so I'd just rather not deal with it.

I swear, nothing steams me up worse than parents like this guy.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
...And we read this as News.
Some Nutjob does something stupid and we're like "omg this is so stupid and bad and blabla!".

This is for the Gamers who can be all indignant about all the hate for videogames.

I remember times when some old people could be convinced that Counter strike was there to train the youth to be murderers.

That was all over "News" that catered to People over 40.

Here he have this case where nothing really happened, normally this wouldn't be much to fuss over for the general news.

But some of the videogame hatred is still lingering and gamers are still in defensive posture, so everything where someone does something stupid and videogames are somehow involved it'll get you some views.

I'm just waiting on the day where strong feelings about videogames alone wont make the general news anymore.
Will we then have people like the father of the minecraft playing kid exclusively in videogame news for us to get indignant about?

On that day, i might proclaim that we are now the old People! We are the ones that consume news and get riled up about them without knowing or caring what actually happened.
Go back and read old forum posts where you got annoyed and angry about people believing fox news' bullshit.
You are that.

And when the next thing comes along that we don't understand but young people seem to enjoy, we will be watching Fox news, telling us how evil it is.
We will run to the booths and vote for any politician that can lure us easily with the promise of banning this new thing.

We will ignore any argument and continue to spew propaganda filled hatred against this new thing without understanding.

We will be sitting glued to screens of whatever nature, staring at reports of young people, claimed by this new thing that has been running over the world like the plague that it is and we will staring in silence, judging...

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Clearly a quick translation from Floridian to English is required here.

"I'm a goddamn retard and I'm looking for a scape goat! My son doesn't have any actual violent video games so I just pulled the first thing I thought of out of my ass."

Seriously, can we just instigate some kind of standardized testing for parenting? You know, short multiple choice thing, things like "You own a gun. Do you (a) leave it loaded on the floor, (b) keep it somewhere high up or (c) keep it in a gun safe?"

Failing the test results in being spayed.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
Oh, come on, really? This is getting gosh darn ridiculous. This is probably the worst "videogames are EVIL" stories I've read. No wonder that kid is weird and brings weapons to school, he apparently has to suffer under an absolutely dimwitted father.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
It would have been great if some random gamer that was in the courtroom that day stood up and said

"If it would please the court, your honor, I would like to make an unusual request."

Then proceed to open up his laptop, load up Minecraft, and let the judge play the game for 10 minutes in Creative Mode.

"As you can see, your honor, this game is in no way based around violence. Guns do not even exist within it. All you do is move blocks of stuff around so that you can build other stuff."

With the hopeful intent that the father would then receive the blame he deserves for bad parenting. I dunno what the charge would be...Neglect? Child Endangerment for leaving a gun and ammo in such an easily accessible location? Perjury for lying to the judge about a game so that he could shift the blame away from himself? Like I said, I don't know, but it's clear who's really at fault here.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
JokerboyJordan said:
He said his son brought the weapons to school to emulate "the zombie-slaying game" Minecraft, which he played "every day, for about an hour..."
Seriously? The kid only plays the game for a fucking HOUR a day and THAT'S the cause for this?! That barely even amounts to a hobby.

But no worries, keep on blaming those evil videogames, surely it can't be poor gun safety or anything like that right?
Probably lying about the 1 hour part. Chances are he uses Minecraft as a free babysitter throughout the day so he doesn't have to do any actual parenting. You know like keeping guns/bullets out of his kid's hands.