Boy Gets Zapped by Electricity, Wakes up Magneto - Update

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Boy Gets Zapped by Electricity, Wakes up Magneto - Update

Twelve-year-old Nikolai Kryaglyachenko can now attract metal objects after receiving a severe electric shock.

Update: Sadly, after some further digging it looks as though this is most likely a hoax. In other words you can sto sticking forks in your electrical sockets as it's not going to do much else besides hurt. A lot. And maybe kill you.

Original Story: Perhaps the oldest, most cliché of all comic characters origins is the one where some random person gets hit with an abundant amount of some energy or force (usually radiation) and then finds themselves decked out with an arsenal of powers and abilities that they then use to defend/vandalize the world. It's the sort of idea that you don't see as often nowadays, mostly on account of the fact that it's pretty danged silly.

Then again, the real world can sometimes surprise you. Take, for instance, the recent case of Nikolai Kryaglyachenko. A 12-year-old resident of Russia, he was walking home one day when he stopped to lean against an innocuous looking lamppost. Unknown to Kryaglyachenko, the lamppost contained a faulty wire which promptly shocked him with enough electricity to send him flying across the street. And this is where things took a turn for the abnormal.

Nikolai survived his run-in with the lamppost but woke up to discover that his body now possessed a mild quality of magnetism. "When I came round, I felt groggy, but managed to get home and told my mum what had happened," he explained. "When I woke up the next day and got out of bed, I found some coins that had been lying on the mattress had stuck to my body. Then when I was having breakfast and dropped my spoon, it stuck to my chest." Being something of a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay>comic book fan, Kryaglyachenko immediately began experimenting with his new powers. Sadly for the budding <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2709-Magneto-Was-Right>Magneto, he soon discovered that he had little personal control over his magnetism, though he can apparently pass it on temporarily to people in his close proximity.

This, of course, isn't the first time that a human being has acquired this sort power over metal. Following the 1986 Cherobyl, <a href=http://www.theguardian.com/education/2004/apr/29/research.highereducation2>another Russian family exhibited similar magnetic properties. There was even a "human magnets" conference held in Bulgaria in 1990 where one attendee was apparently able to suspend 15 pound weights from the flat palms of her hands. It's worth noting, of course, that these claims of human magnetism come with a lot of skepticism from the scientific community. That said, here's hoping that our universe might, just this once, be even a fraction as awesome as Marvel's.

Source: <a href=http://nypost.com/2014/11/19/meet-magneto-boy-the-kid-who-attracts-metal-with-his-body/?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=facebook>The New York Post

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Interesting...

*Grabs sign*

MUTANT SCUM!!

Okay, that was mean but still cool but won't something like that affect him badly when he get's older? Like MRI checks or scans?

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I could swear I remember hearing about this some years ago ago and it being debunked as utter BS

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Yeah, this has nothing to do with magnetism. It's basically just greasy skin that objects stick to.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
chikusho said:
Yeah, this has nothing to do with magnetism. It's basically just greasy skin that objects stick to.
this, many people have claimed to have this power before, take a bath, see how long it lasts

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
A phenomenon like this had been reported by monks at one point and I believed it was actually debunked as actually a state of their skin after having not washed themselves for years. Basically the objects stuck to them due to their greasy and dirty skin. (If I end up taking time to hunt down references I'll amend this post with them.)

That said, this could obviously be something entirely different, but it's a possibility that may be worth looking into.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Your guys skepticism is fair and just to make sure I checked again to make sure nothing had emerged calling this a flat-out hoax. I haven't found anything conclusive but I did add a bit at the end of the story pointing out that this could be fake.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
If anything, its possible though highly unlikely that the kid has an abnormally high iron content in his blood which after the shock became magnetized enough to attract metal. And its more likely the general consensus of not washing properly since a high iron content like that would be borderline lethal, if not passing out of the body with the passage of time as it is replaced through waste cycles.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
But if he can't control it, he's less Magneto and more Ernest.

P.S. Thanks

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
If this is true, is it permanent? If would kind fo hard to handle silverware and money, among other things.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
James Randi debunked this magnetic man with a little talcum powder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTVWMY8EZCA

I agree that the boy is probably sticky.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
...honestly, I just came here to say that was one of the best article titles I've ever read.
The story itself seems kinda dodgy...

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Yeah, I call bullshit.

Russia has many of these types of stories, this is no surprise that they claim to have another person with 'powers'.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
see had he gotten powers from a sun flare while he was swimming in a lake next to a nuclear plant that was dumping its radioactive waste while he was eating some strange green ooze on a February 29 as he got struck by lightning then I would be like yeah this kid got powers now. But a lamp post gave him powers... yeah kid you live in Russia where I imagine metals can gt extremely cold and can easily attach to anything with a little saliva and given his body type it would be even easier

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
Spaceman Spiff said:
James Randi debunked this magnetic man with a little talcum powder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTVWMY8EZCA

I agree that the boy is probably sticky.
Was about to post that too :)

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Fake. Think about it - unless he's got a metal skeleton (which would be super cool), you can't magnetically align flesh and bone molecules and have them stay aligned when the field is removed. And there's no physical mechanism for humans to generate any more than a teeeeny bioelectromagnetic field. Certainly not enough to hold silverware.

It's just a common third world scam.