Boy in Chile Kills Brother for Turning On PlayStation

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

A 16-year-old Chilean boy has been accused of murdering his 18-year-old brother in a fight over a Sony PlayStation console.

According to police officials, the teenager and his brother had been arguing over the use of the PlayStation unit - no number is given, but we're assuming it was a PS3 - when the confrontation turned violent. After the elder brother turned on the PlayStation without his brother's permission, the younger sibling became enraged. He allegedly grabbed a knife from the kitchen, stabbing his brother in the chest and killing him.

The young man told police that the argument "got out of hand" - no, really? - and could face five years in prison under the charges if convicted.

While the report focuses the argument around the PlayStation console that does admittedly seem to have been the focal point, that can't be all that was at work here. According to the BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8650606.stm], the brothers had been abandoned by their mother and lived in care for 10 years before being taken in by a Belgian woman - who unfortunately was visiting her home country at the time of the murder.

Seeing as how this abandonment happened when they were, at the absolute eldest, 6 and 8 respectively, I don't think it's hard to imagine how that could have had an affect on their psyches growing up.

It's still a tragedy, but why blame the piece of black plastic in the living room?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Now I've gotten pissed with my sister messing with my stuff, but I've never attacked her with a knife. Obviously he has some serious mental issues, and severe history to overreact like that.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
wow first a murder over hacking in counterstrike in china and now another murder over turning on a stinking console? What is with people on other continents getting violent over games? Was it our fault?

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Psychopaths get let off lightly.

FIVE YEARS FOR THIS UNJUSTIFIABLE MURDER OF A SIBLING?

Hmmmm.

Stuntcrab

Apr 2, 2010
Reminds me of the Russian boy who killed his father because he took away his keyboard... then after killing him he plugged it in and played it until he fell asleep the really creeped me out

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
Remember those threads that said one-hit knife kills in games were unrealistic?

No, me neither. But if I did, this would be a good point!

Anyway, this is horrific and I disapprove.

i thought orphans were all nice and sold newspapers for shillings my innocence is gone

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
John Funk said:

It's still a tragedy, but why blame the piece of black plastic in the living room?

Because it's the easiest thing to blame. I can imagine how the heads of the Chilean media delt with this story: "These kids had to deal with abandonment and other psychological issues through out their lives, but that's just too damn complicated to report. What's that you say? They were fighting over a PS3? That's a hell of a lot easier to blame. That's the story we're going to run with. Now where's my coffee damnit?!"

hansari

May 31, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Jail. For at least 15 years.

5 years is nothing.
Forget that. Unless they can fix him mentally, theres no point but to at least give him life.

I mean, granted, abandonment and all that...but he just killed his brother over who got to play on it for the next few hours. His only blood relative. The only one who was there when he was without adult care.

Kids was only two years away from being an actual adult. Could you imagine, if he did this to his brother over this, what he'd do to you if he was behind you in a line and decided you were taking too long?

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
I don't know why he even bothered turning it on.

I mean, it's not like there were any games he could have played on it.

... don't hurt me.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Mantonio said:
I don't know why he even bothered turning it on.

I mean, it's not like there were any games he could have played on it.

... don't hurt me.
Well, there are plenty of games. But not MGS4.

MGS4 is more like a movie. When you press buttons for a few minutes to skip forward in the movie. And the movie sucks.

But they have this little series called Ratchet & Clank. It's awesome.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Psycho. Room. Lock. Incinerate key. Either that or mental institute for huuuuuge help.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
6 and 8 plus ten years...means thier ages are 16 and 18 years old...

Scarred or not unless his mother was a sword juggler/swallower (keep it clean) or something you should know knive put into flesh is bad for it if it's still breathing.

Life is cruel.