Boy Kills Brother After Videogame Argument

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Boy Kills Brother After Videogame Argument

An 11-year-old Mississippi boy accidentally killed his nine-year-old brother with their father's shotgun following an argument over a videogame.

Police say nine-year-old Darrious Finley had argued with his brother De-Andre over a videogame before threatening him with their father's 12-gauge shotgun. The brothers were struggling for the weapon went it went off, killing the younger boy. "The younger brother allegedly got mad because he got beat at some video games and got the gun," Marshall County Sheriff Kenny Dickerson said.

De-Andre initially said his brother had accidentally killed himself but later admitted the gun had gone off while they were fighting over it. "That version we can live with because it's consistent with the evidence," Dickerson said. He added that it was unlikely the older boy would be charged with any crime because "it appeared to be an accident."

Dickerson said the boy's father, who was outside at the time of the shooting, claimed he kept the shotgun unloaded in a closet, but added that the younger boy had fired it before with his father's supervision and apparently knew how to load the gun himself.

The videogame angle is difficult to pin down; Dickerson said he wasn't even sure what game the boys were playing prior to the fight. But it's interesting to note that despite the more obvious aggravating factors involved in the case, like the fact that an unsecured shotgun and ammunition were left lying around the house, it's videogames that get the attention in the headlines.

Source: Yahoo! News [http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090609/world/tab20090609_us_boy_killed], with thanks to The Shade for the tip.

(image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpc/386573428/])

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
I blame the father for having his gun in a place where the boy could get his hands on it.
Not only that, but he should also be blamed for teaching his 9 year old how to load and fire a shotgun, that is left where the boy can get it.

Arcade_Fire

Mar 7, 2009
Yeah, so the kid knows where to find and how to use a shotgun, but it's the video game's fault?

Whatever happened to journalistic integrity?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Warrior Irme said:
sirdanrhodes said:
I blame the father for having his gun in a place where the boy could get his hands on it.
Not only that, but he should also be blamed for teaching his 9 year old how to load and fire a shotgun, that is left where the boy can get it.
Agreed. Why even have one in the first place?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
You can't blame a little kid for being stupid and irrational.
The father's to blame, for the reasons sirdanrhodes and Warrior Irme already stated.

Kilowog17

Dec 25, 2008
Hmm... How about instead of laying blame we all say 'Okay, tragic yes. Let's move on.'
We've seen where the blame game leads... Either no more guns or no more videogames and to be honest. I like videogames and I like having a gun (to shoot AT in an attempt to SCARE bears away).

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
So, the younger kid loses at a video game, then goes and gets a shotgun and loads it as a bad joke (OH HI PARENTS). And the older brother takes it away from him, the gun going off in the process.

It sounds like an accidental suicide, due to their father's negligence in securing his firearms.

Oh, wait, I mean:

The brothers were playing a death simulator, and the older bother, fresh off the high of virtually disemboweling his younger brother, gloats maniacally. The younger brother, driven over the edge by the combination of the adrenaline from murder simulating and his recent e-defeat, remembers where his dad stored his shotgun. And every gamer knows shotguns are the best short range solution in a firefight.

He carefully loads the barrels, but his older brother recognizes the familiar sound of a shotgun loading near the area of the weapon spawn point. He charges in to melee range, prepared for the inevitable quicktime struggle. Then, the older sibling valiantly mashes his brother's face to disable the shotgun, but fails to stop short of the final button press that resulted in an instant kill. In the cutscene after the battle, he realizes that his enemy was actually his younger brother, and unlike their other battles, Aeris dies.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
This is what we call bad parenting. Video games didn't cause the problem at all here. Two young kids got angry, said hey where's daddys gun and POW.

1) Young children being taught how to load and fire a firearm is WRONG.
2) Letting those children know you even have one is just as bad.

Alot of children and teen shootings, heck with some school shootings the shooter was taught by the parent at a young age or informed that they had a gun in the house. Now I don't have concrete evidence to back that statement up of course other than heard from a friend who heard from a friend who heard from their friend, etc. Still though as I mentioned before this is nothing more than bad parenting.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Arcade_Fire said:
Yeah, so the kid knows where to find and how to use a shotgun, but it's the video game's fault?
I don't believe videogames result in violence. Ask Yahtzee.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Actually I disagree on the bit about teaching a 9 year old to load and fire guns. I feel it should be taught as early as five. But also along with this, should be taught a very strong respect for firearms, not just how to use them. I feel firearms education should be included in school all the way up until college as part of phys-ed and required for progression between grades and graduation.

But then again I'm very pro-gun and think pretty much everyone should walk around with a gun on their belt and know how to use it.

*That* said, the situation is messed up. It does make me wonder what else was going on in the household since even at that age it sounds like the video games might just have been a breaking point to other tensions.

Of course this is assuming that a 9 year old has the capacity to murder and try and cover it up. See, from the way this reads to me the authorities seem to be trying to force the case to fit the "evidence" as they see it.

I wasn't there so it's hard to say, but any way you look at it the situation is messed up.

As far as where the gun was, well all comments by liberals about firearms "safety" aside, during a home invasion the bad guys aren't going to wait to let you unlock your gun, unlock your ammo on the other side of the house, and then load your gun.

Truthfully a feel a few isolated incidents, even involving children (which aren't that common overall, they are just heavily reported by the media) are a small price to pay for the right to keep and bear arms.

>>>----Therumancer--->

sallene

Dec 11, 2008
Im all for the freedom of people being able to own guns, but unless they do it responsibly stuff like this happens.

Though with all the bashing on the father, just think how he must feel, I dont think there is any coming back from knowing your kid shot his brother because you were too stupid to lock up your gun.

Daniel Cygnus

Jan 19, 2009
What really bothers me is that there was no lock on the shotgun. If it were locked and the kid had no idea where the keys were, then this wouldn't have happened.

DigitalJedl

Apr 10, 2009
Kross said:
So, the younger kid loses at a video game, then goes and gets a shotgun and loads it as a bad joke (OH HI PARENTS). And the older brother takes it away from him, the gun going off in the process.

It sounds like an accidental suicide, due to their father's negligence in securing his firearms.

Oh, wait, I mean:

The brothers were playing a death simulator, and the older bother, fresh off the high of virtually disemboweling his younger brother, gloats maniacally. The younger brother, driven over the edge by the combination of the adrenaline from murder simulating and his recent e-defeat, remembers where his dad stored his shotgun. And every gamer knows shotguns are the best short range solution in a firefight.

He carefully loads the barrels, but his older brother recognizes the familiar sound of a shotgun loading near the area of the weapon spawn point. He charges in to melee range, prepared for the inevitable quicktime struggle. Then, the older sibling valiantly mashes his brother's face to disable the shotgun, but fails to stop short of the final button press that resulted in an instant kill. In the cutscene after the battle, he realizes that his enemy was actually his younger brother, and unlike their other battles, Aeris dies.
I've never laughed so hard in my life...

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Kross said:

Oh, wait, I mean:

Well played.

I dunno guys. Sad and all, but we just lost a child who thought the best solution to losing at a video game was to load a weapon and threaten his brother. While I feel for the family and the brother especially, I also have to say that I think the gene pool might have just been benefited by a 12 gauge and a copy of Street Fighter.