#Boycottgenshin and #Boycottgenshinimpact start trending on twitter but not over lootboxes or monetisation

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

The complaints:
  • Claiming the game is racist because some enemies are loosely inspired by indigenous people in real life and the game has a lack of black playable characters
  • The game is pro paedophilia because a character claims to love Flora but the boycotters claim flora is a young child
  • Security complaints as 2FA isn't implemented into the game
  • Content being delayed which people claim is to try and maximise revenue before releasing the next expansion / update and not at all anything to do with the you know global plague happening at present.
The problems with the complaints?

The characters they're claiming are meant to be black are actually meant to be based on South-East Asians

Telling people specifically not to criticise the monetisation model which includes lootboxes and a mobile game esc energy system

The character being claimed to be expressing love for a child is actually after a different character and if the people boycotting actually were playing they'd have know there is Miss Flora and young Flora who are different characters.

As for the claims about indigenous people being used as the villains. They're apparently peace loving and nice but being manipulated and controlled by the villains in the game.

https://twitter.com/hhoelmes/status/1379343436914941952?s=20

Which you'd think people who were claiming to be such major fans would be aware of such bits of the lore right?

Oh and the boycotters aren't even saying to stop playing the game they're still planning to keep playing

https://twitter.com/chiIdekisser/status/1379280615082663940?s=20

Also none of the boycotters are bringing up how the game is censoring the terms Hong Kong and Taiwan globally in it's chat due to the CCP not wanting them talked about

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Seems dumb, but the femboy is still hot I guess.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Meh, it's just the twitter twattery du jour. Also, it's over a gacha game, so eh ...

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
When I saw the title and the poster, I knew this was gonna be some culture war silliness.

Do you work for miHoYo's marketing division? Because this post has done more to convince me to buy the game than any trailers or ads I've seen.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So do you have a link to said femboy or are we just supposed to imagine it?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So do you have a link to said femboy or are we just supposed to imagine it?
I mean checking the wiki there's like 3-5 it could be

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I thought you had me ignored so you cared enough to reveal to read all this lol
I saw Chimp's response in the thread update. I did not realize it was your thread until after the fact. I don't care, because I was not here for you.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Funny I am against the boycott, but I stopped myself from spending money on it so consequently, I may as well be part of it.

Also to those that saw my post about Fallout NV's Sierra Madre; It's letting go.

I wouldn't spend money on the Childe/Rosaria banner, Eula will be coming, and so will other hot characters in the future, you can't collect them all unless you whale for them. Oh, and it's not just sexy women, there are also small children, sexy men/husbandos, and femboys.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Funny I am against the boycott, but I stopped myself from spending money on it so consequently, I may as well be part of it.

Also to those that saw my post about Fallout NV's Sierra Madre; It's letting go.

I wouldn't spend money on the Childe/Rosaria banner, Eula will be coming, and so will other hot characters in the future, you can't collect them all unless you whale for them. Oh, and it's not just sexy women, there are also small children, sexy men/husbandos, and femboys.
I'm proud of you and glad you were able to make a wise and important decision. I recommend you start playing the smaller games. Something that's worth your money and time. What it is, I don't know. If you ever need help or advice, feel free to ask me anytime.

Nov 9, 2015
Well the reasons may be spurious, but has anything ever been cancelled for having lootboxes or being pro-China?

Personally, I think copy-pasting a game and raking in millions is scummy. I also think having no cultural impact of your own and needing to copy Japanese media is pathetic. That alone is enough for me to hate something, and it's a shame westerners aren't dismissing these awful clones like they did in the past.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I also think having no cultural impact of your own and needing to copy Japanese media is pathetic. That alone is enough for me to hate something, and it's a shame westerners aren't dismissing these awful clones like they did in the past.
Especially when you look down or hate certain cultures, races, or religion, but are more than happy copy them or exploit them, if you repackage it as something else. Shows you how hypocritical they are. This is something that is not exclusive China either, as plenty of racist whites have done this black and other cultures too. It's just China has done so many knock-off products/characters with rarely anything to actually call their own or original.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The whole "they are South East Asian not black people" becomes hilarious when you realize that racism is very prominent from Chinese, Korean and Japanese people against South East Asians. To the point that a running (kinda politically incorrect joke) joke is that South East Asians are Asia's black people and Mexicans.
The people complaining about this aren't Japanese/Chinese/Korean or Southeast Asian and are assuming the dark skinned characters are black skinned people of African decent. So I'm not sure how something that's irrelevant makes this hilarious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble