#Boycottgenshin and #Boycottgenshinimpact start trending on twitter but not over lootboxes or monetisation

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Well, i won't disagree with that. If nothing new comes, i will probably stop for good soon. Grinding alone won't keep me, even if the grind is more tolerable than in many other free games. Still will have been a fun ride.

As for the complaints of the hashtag, those are stupid. I kinda get the one about primitive humanid monster races but GI is not a particularly bad offender here with Hillichurls being clearly nonhuman and also getting content about peaceful contact. But Kaeya and Xinyan are certainly not portayed in some racist way.

If we do want to talk about problematic portrayals however, i have much more to complain about the new character Rosaria. The "Sexy Assassin Nun"-trope ? Really ?

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Did....did people just now realize that the tribal enemies were tribal? Did nobody mad about this actually play the game? It's such an obvious thing that they look like some sort of savage tribe stereotype that I don't think there's anything to be said about it.

Ah well, my Klee makes things go boom so I'll keep having fun, you folks can boycott XD.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble
Nov 9, 2015
A lot of western weebs using this argument as a defense for...lots of stuff donkt tend to actually pay attention when Japanese/Chinese/Korean/SE Asian people make these complaints because said western weebs don't, you know, speak the language or follow the relevant news.

Y'all are in a bubble
I went to 5ch to see if they even know about this, and uh... they're kind of making fun of you guys.

I also went to yahoo news, and the top comments were pretty much in line with what OP said. The first 2 points are nonsensical, and the last 2 they agree with.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I went to 5ch to see if they even know about this, and uh... they're kind of making fun of you guys.

I also went to yahoo news, and the top comments were pretty much in line with what OP said. The first 2 points are nonsensical, and the last 2 they agree with.
Never said it was the opinion of literally everybody who isn't speaking in English, said that weebs tend to live in a bubble. If you think those bubbles don't also exist on 5ch or Reddit or Tumblr or whatever, I've got an NFT of a digital bridge to sell you.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Did....did people just now realize that the tribal enemies were tribal? Did nobody mad about this actually play the game? It's such an obvious thing that they look like some sort of savage tribe stereotype that I don't think there's anything to be said about it.

Ah well, my Klee makes things go boom so I'll keep having fun, you folks can boycott XD.
This is kinda what I mean about bubbles: I've been lowkey hearing complaints about this since the game came out 6 months ago. The theory was that maybe, in the future, said enemies would be fleshed out and developed and at some point *not* be that...and then the longer that doesn't happen, the louder the complaints get.

As a similar example that I've got more specific experience in: the Reunion Movement in Arknights. An enemy faction of actual oppressed minorities that basically starts out as Generic Violent Anarchists That Commit Massive Crimes.

Which rustled my jimmies for obvious reasons.

The difference between Genshin and Arknights seems to be, well, Reunion *got* developed. The hellworld and story they exist in end up justifying all but their worst atrocities, with the worst of the worst literally being the result of outside interference on the level of a CIA plant fucking things up to stop a successful and needed revolution. Damn near every major Reunion character is sympathetic and the overt fighting is portrayed as an unavoidable tragedy. It could have easily gone Ubisoft Presents Tom Clancy's Elite Squad on it and, well, I wouldn't be playing Arknights, regardless of how cool their character designs are

The longer Genshin takes to have their fully sapient, intelligent, primitive cannon fodder be developed into...not that, the more people with get tired of it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
It's a mobile gacha weeb game from China, that should be enough reason for it to be blasted off into space and never to be seen again.
This is strong knowledge cause I just learned that this game was Chinese and not Japanese. Are you telling me one of those Chinese "we don't give a fuck about copyright" games got this popular.

Nov 9, 2015
Never said it was the opinion of literally everybody who isn't speaking in English, said that weebs tend to live in a bubble. If you think those bubbles don't also exist on 5ch or Reddit or Tumblr or whatever, I've got an NFT of a digital bridge to sell you.
I know I know, it's just that otaku aren't exactly the kindest or most progressive people on the internet.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
what if the reason you see a bubble when you look up is because you are in it?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
This is strong knowledge cause I just learned that this game was Chinese and not Japanese. Are you telling me one of those Chinese "we don't give a fuck about copyright" games got this popular.
The landscape's been changing around Chinese games for a bit. Stuff like Girl's Frontline, Azur Lane, Arknights, and Genshin Impact have been managing to escape into the (relatively) less restrictive arms of Japanese and western platforms. I mean, sure, Genshin Impact is to Breath to the Wild as Dauntless is to Monster Hunter, but if it were absolute trash it would've cratered already, twinks and waifus or no.

The recently lifted console ban in China led to a lot of development in mobile games. Eventually, some of them got good. That said, being developed in a bubble (that will arrest you for not toeing some specific lines) led to some...idiosyncrasies that clash outside of that bubble.
See also, Hololive CN eventually being disbanded because a couple of Japanese hololive streamers shared some streaming statistics that just happened to include youtube's Taiwanese numbers and the Chinese nationalists losing their shit, harassing one of them to this day 5 months later.
A relatively competently programmed, horny anime waifu/twink gatcha game that's free might be relatively common on mobile, but give it vaguely open world gameplay and put it on console and PC and it's like introducing a virus to an island population. The Hardcore Gamers who never played mobile trash had no innate resistance to it.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Genshin is surprisingly not that. They are actually not stealing any copyrights, which is why it has been able to be sold everywhere without legal issues and made over a billion bucks already. About the only thing you can say bad about genshin is that it's aping popular game mechanics and is kinda unoriginal. Outside of that it's fun and you can play it totally for free. People freaking out over gacha must have terrible luck because the units everyone gets for free are more than enough to beat the game with and even if your luck sucks you will eventually get some SSR units with the free pulling resources which make things even easier.

Also it uses Japanese voice actors for the chars and I'm sure they had Japanese advisors working with them (I believe Mihoyo is in hong kong which is the capitalist bit inside communist china which explains all this) so this is why you see a difference between them and other chinese games which are just skin swaps of already-existing games.

This is kinda what I mean about bubbles: I've been lowkey hearing complaints about this since the game came out 6 months ago. The theory was that maybe, in the future, said enemies would be fleshed out and developed and at some point *not* be that...and then the longer that doesn't happen, the louder the complaints get.

As a similar example that I've got more specific experience in: the Reunion Movement in Arknights. An enemy faction of actual oppressed minorities that basically starts out as Generic Violent Anarchists That Commit Massive Crimes.

Which rustled my jimmies for obvious reasons.

The difference between Genshin and Arknights seems to be, well, Reunion *got* developed. The hellworld and story they exist in end up justifying all but their worst atrocities, with the worst of the worst literally being the result of outside interference on the level of a CIA plant fucking things up to stop a successful and needed revolution. Damn near every major Reunion character is sympathetic and the overt fighting is portrayed as an unavoidable tragedy. It could have easily gone Ubisoft Presents Tom Clancy's Elite Squad on it and, well, I wouldn't be playing Arknights, regardless of how cool their character designs are

The longer Genshin takes to have their fully sapient, intelligent, primitive cannon fodder be developed into...not that, the more people with get tired of it.
Honestly to me they just felt like random zelda enemy lookalikes, not something they put a lot of thought in. If you have to say one bad thing about them it'd have to be that they're too generic, not that they're offensive to indigenous people lmao. It's so silly to be upset about this if you play this game because you don't really devote any thought to those enemies as you play on. So yeah I guess the bubble of one who has not ever played the game and merely looks for things to be offended about online despite not knowing anything about them must be the origin of this nonsense lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Satinavian

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bury the light surprisingly goes well with this game. That's about the only credit I can give it. Just goes to show you how awesome Devil May Cry 5 is.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Honestly to me they just felt like random zelda enemy lookalikes, not something they put a lot of thought in. If you have to say one bad thing about them it'd have to be that they're too generic, not that they're offensive to indigenous people lmao. It's so silly to be upset about this if you play this game because you don't really devote any thought to those enemies as you play on. So yeah I guess the bubble of one who has not ever played the game and merely looks for things to be offended about online despite not knowing anything about them must be the origin of this nonsense lol.
Some people like to think about things.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Surely it's possible to think too much about it though? Or to think about it and come to different conclusions?

I can't comment on this particular case too much, but I can cite an example on this very forum that I and another user got into, namely the goblins from Harry Potter. Basically, the arguments came down to this:

-User: The goblins in Harry Potter are based on anti-semitic tropes, of hook-nosed bankers running an economy behind the scenes, and being generally untrustworthy.

-Me: The goblins in Harry Potter are based on goblin folklore and goblin tropes, namely hook-nosed and gold-loving. The goblins in HP is simply a case of applying this fantasy trope to a bank.

I won't go into too much detail, since this isn't the point, but it's the kind of argument that I've taken part in lots of times across lots of medias, with Person A seeing X, and Person B seeing Y. That's basically true of all media in general. So unless the work's creator descends from on high to explicitly state the intended meaning, this kind of stuff remains open to interpretation, and even then, there's grey areas (e.g. back to HP, it never would have occurred to me that lycanthropy was meant to represent AIDS, and I'm frankly skepticalt that Rowling intended it as such, but apparently whole swathes of people did see it as a metaphor, whereas I saw it as taking a pre-existing fictional illness and applying a new spin on it, namely, how would an organized society actually deal with lycanthropy culturally?), not to mention the idea of death of the author.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Of course, my point is that it's odd you aren't thinking about RELEVANT things, things having to do with what you're engaged in. It is totally irrelevant to the goals of playing the game to worry about random tribal people's woes, that's not the time and place for it, and you're doing the game a disservice by not focusing on the mechanics and story and fun it can provide and instead being distracted with all this nonsense.

If later on you come across some kind of analysis topic about the cultural inspirations of various game elements that's cool to broach in that situation but it being your go to thing when you're engaged in playing a game is not normal lol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Genshin Impact has definitely been stealing from DMC. They should boycott for that heinous crime alone! Forget the gacha, "surprise mechanics!". This is real heavy sin, GI has committed!

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Of course, my point is that it's odd you aren't thinking about RELEVANT things, things having to do with what you're engaged in. It is totally irrelevant to the goals of playing the game to worry about random tribal people's woes, that's not the time and place for it, and you're doing the game a disservice by not focusing on the mechanics and story and fun it can provide and instead being distracted with all this nonsense.

If later on you come across some kind of analysis topic about the cultural inspirations of various game elements that's cool to broach in that situation but it being your go to thing when you're engaged in playing a game is not normal lol.
...so, the only reason people picked up on those parallels was *by* focusing on the mechanics and story of...yet another group of primitive tribals you slaughter indiscriminately for story reasons.
Like, do you interact with games solely through healthbars, progression meters, and DPS statistics? Do you have to wait for somebody else to think about a thing before you start thinking?
Do you think it's weird that the sort of person who watches analysis videos about video games might just...do that themselves too?

Like, don't get me wrong, I know a guy who'll play a game from beginning to end and then turn to me and ask me what the story was, but I'm 90% sure he's an outlier

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
...so, the only reason people picked up on those parallels was *by* focusing on the mechanics and story of...yet another group of primitive tribals you slaughter indiscriminately for story reasons.
Like, do you interact with games solely through healthbars, progression meters, and DPS statistics? Do you have to wait for somebody else to think about a thing before you start thinking?
Do you think it's weird that the sort of person who watches analysis videos about video games might just...do that themselves too?

Like, don't get me wrong, I know a guy who'll play a game from beginning to end and then turn to me and ask me what the story was, but I'm 90% sure he's an outlier
No you obviously focus on the story, you just don't bring into it outsider issues that are not part of the game world and its canon. You take it in for what it is and see whether it works or not as a whole and then you judge whether you liked it or not. Focusing on random real world ramifications both is irrelevant and detracts from the experience so if anything you're more likely to miss out on plot bits if you overly focus on this bit. If you write off these as just another tribal enemy then you're less likely to notice extra traits that may become apparent later because you've already condemned them by that point.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Surely it's possible to think too much about it though? Or to think about it and come to different conclusions?

I can't comment on this particular case too much, but I can cite an example on this very forum that I and another user got into, namely the goblins from Harry Potter. Basically, the arguments came down to this:

-User: The goblins in Harry Potter are based on anti-semitic tropes, of hook-nosed bankers running an economy behind the scenes, and being generally untrustworthy.

-Me: The goblins in Harry Potter are based on goblin folklore and goblin tropes, namely hook-nosed and gold-loving. The goblins in HP is simply a case of applying this fantasy trope to a bank.

I won't go into too much detail, since this isn't the point, but it's the kind of argument that I've taken part in lots of times across lots of medias, with Person A seeing X, and Person B seeing Y. That's basically true of all media in general. So unless the work's creator descends from on high to explicitly state the intended meaning, this kind of stuff remains open to interpretation, and even then, there's grey areas (e.g. back to HP, it never would have occurred to me that lycanthropy was meant to represent AIDS, and I'm frankly skepticalt that Rowling intended it as such, but apparently whole swathes of people did see it as a metaphor, whereas I saw it as taking a pre-existing fictional illness and applying a new spin on it, namely, how would an organized society actually deal with lycanthropy culturally?), not to mention the idea of death of the author.
Great.

Notice the argument wasn't:
-Response: Why are you thinking about that? Just turn your brain off

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So unless the work's creator descends from on high to explicitly state the intended meaning, this kind of stuff remains open to interpretation, and even then, there's grey areas (e.g. back to HP, it never would have occurred to me that lycanthropy was meant to represent AIDS, and I'm frankly skepticalt that Rowling intended it as such, but apparently whole swathes of people did see it as a metaphor, whereas I saw it as taking a pre-existing fictional illness and applying a new spin on it, namely, how would an organized society actually deal with lycanthropy culturally?), not to mention the idea of death of the author.
Even then without death of the author you sometimes get "Those Tropes you used were based on or created based on these things so you using them not knowing context is ignorant and your work marred by the same problematic stuff as the things original inception regardless of intention".

Doesn't matter if D&D orcs are meant to be black people as at some point some-one may have used them that way so D&D is back because of using that same race.

Great.

Notice the argument wasn't:
-Response: Why are you thinking about that? Just turn your brain off
The responses to the accusations mostly against Genshin Impact originally weren't that either it was people pointing out why those claims are wrong.......

Reactions: Hawki