Brace Your Eyeballs For the Gunnar Optiks MW3 Gaming Eyewear

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Brace Your Eyeballs For the Gunnar Optiks MW3 Gaming Eyewear

"Technology eyewear" manufacturer Gunnar Optiks and Activision have joined forces to create official, limited edition Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear.

I don't know exactly what "technology eyewear" is but I do know that with custom spring hinges, magnesium alloy frame, adjustable nose pads and "venting details inspired by the latest technology in military machinery," these bad boys from Gunnar Optiks-with-a-K are just the thing you need to take your game to the next level and impress the ladies, all at the same time.

"Not only will the limited edition eyewear provide a visual advantage to gamers through those long nights of intense action," said Gunnar Optiks President Rob Aarnes, "but they will be able to show their affinity for the new blockbuster and look badass while playing it."

Gunnar's Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear promises to reduce glare, improve focus, sharpen details and minimize eye fatigue with lenses coated with a specially-formulated amber tint that "shifts the color spectrum to provide superior contrast, detail and resolution." But all that non-prescription hipness doesn't come cheap: these MW3 specs carry a suggested retail sticker of $99, which includes a limited edition Modern Warfare 3-branded carrying case, a limited edition Modern Warfare 3-branded pouch and a standard edition cleaning cloth.

There's no word on when these awesome indoor sunglasses will hit the shelves but preorders will be available starting in late August from Best Buy, which will be the exclusive retailer of the Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear in North America. They'll also be available in Europe from "select retailers" that will be announced in the coming months.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
If you want to blow an extra $100 just for some glasses that reduce the eyestrain that comes from your body telling you to turn off the screen, go for it.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Amber tint? Isn't that to help with low light conditions?

I am under the assumption that most gamer's have lightbulbs.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"AND a standard edition cleaning cloth."

Wow, they really grabbed interest with that STANDARD edition cleaning cloth...
Can I please waste 20 more bucks to get the SUPER AWESOME MEGA HYPER edition cleaning cloth?
You know, the one with futuristic nanofibers that makes your glasses *so* clean you can barely tell a difference with the regular standard one.

Seriously, these guys don't know you are supposed to end marketing blurb with a bang and never ever to use a term that sounds like you are selling lame, ordinary stuff?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Ignore double post.
Escapist's acting up for me...

Related to that earthquake earlier today?

Kyle 2175

Jan 7, 2010
If I wanted to spend that much on glasses I'd go get a new pair of glasses for my myopia instead of these crappy things. Really, they're just amber tinted sunglasses. Amazing, right?

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Okay, now really, this is getting a bit ridiculous. But hey, if they know people will part with cash for these things (and they will) why not exploit that weakness for some more profit?

As has been pointed out earlier, I do wonder why they had to mention that the cloth was merely a standard edition. Perhaps the Prestige edition cloth has some added functionalities. While one side can be used to clean the glasses, the other side is better suited to cleaning up....stains.

Also:

"Not only will the limited edition eyewear provide a visual advantage to gamers through those long nights of intense action
"Long nights of intense action" is a turn of phrase that makes me think of something, but I don't think it's Call of Duty....

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
This is why Jack Thompson hates us.

I mean, they aren't even 3D glasses. I can understand buying those, but this? There is no a hundred bucks is the right price.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
How come these are never reasonably priced?
They are reasonably priced for a CoD fanboy, but then again didn't they give away some nightvision goggles with the CoD: MW2 Prestige edition [http://gear.ign.com/articles/104/1043319p1.html]? Atleast you got a game for the $150 selling price.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Because I am totally down with laying out a Benjamin for an overhyped, ugly facial decoration that duplicates the function of MY EYELIDS.

And after that, I'll play a few rounds of "Bobbing For Angry Weasels".

MartialArc

Aug 25, 2010
Sunglasses are a fashion item, go drop by your local sunglass hut and quickly cease being shocked over 100 dollar glasses. My prescription Ray-Bans were like $500 bucks......and IIRC 300ish of that was just the frames, so non prescription ones would be in the 300 dollar range. Eyewear is retard-expensive.

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunstore?promotion_id=100&cm_mmc=google-semsearch-_-brand-trademark-_-ray-ban-_-[ray%20ban]

Look at those prices!

Kefo

May 19, 2010
hey if you are stupid enough to drop 100 dollars on sunglasses then go right ahead. I would also like to sell you this rock. It looks like any other rock but placing it inside your mouth while you play CoD will improve your gaming skills 150%.....it also comes with some dirt.

Kefo

May 19, 2010
MartialArc said:
Sunglasses are a fashion item, go drop by your local sunglass hut and quickly cease being shocked over 100 dollar glasses. My prescription Ray-Bans were like $500 bucks......and IIRC 300ish of that was just the frames, so non prescription ones would be in the 300 dollar range. Eyewear is retard-expensive.

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunstore?promotion_id=100&cm_mmc=google-semsearch-_-brand-trademark-_-ray-ban-_-[ray%20ban]

Look at those prices!
You can get decent sunglasses for under 50 bucks if you have some patience and do a little research before hand(assuming they arent prescription of course). If you want brand name glasses then yes, be prepared to drop a stupid amount of money.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Oh, they already make those!

This is stupid. Nothing else needs be said. I'll continue anyways though. I don't know who is going to be gullible enough to believe this but wouldn't regular glasses do the same thing and provide the benefit of better vision? These are fancy reading glasses that supposedly make the image better (somehow). This is as silly as the happy pills that I saw advertised on TV (I'm seriously someone was selling mood pills for real).

Also, can you wear these glasses... at night?