Braid Creator Responds To PC Pricing Questions - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Braid Creator Responds To PC Pricing Questions - UPDATED

Braid [http://braid-game.com/] creator Jonathan Blow has responded to questions about the higher price of the PC version of the game, noting that several factors were involved in the decision, not least of which is the fact that 20 bucks is pretty cheap for a good PC game.

A PC version of the hit took criticism [http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/catalog.aspx?d=6] for being more expensive than the usual XBLA cost of 800 MS Points ($10). When asked about the increase, Blow touched on a few points that affected the decision and noted that "standard" pricing doesn't necessarily translate across platforms.

"I just looked at what comparable games are selling at on the PC," he said. "Aquaria [http://www.crayonphysics.com/] is $20. Should I be selling Braid for less than those games?"

"As for the price disparity - that's what happens when you have standard price points on different platforms," he continued. "As one example, Wii [http://www.bit-blot.com/aquaria/], but it is the same game as on the PC, where it costs $20. World of Goo is a really nice game, and I think $20 is a fine price for it, but Wii games are generally a lot cheaper, so I understand why it's being sold there at that price."

It's a valid point, and one familiar to PC gamers: 20 bucks doesn't get you very far out of the bargain bin. It's a trade-off, perhaps; PC owners have grown accustomed over the years to things like free online play and a wealth of user-generated content, but ready access to cheap games that don't suck over services like XBLA has remained elusive. That may not satisfy thrifty cross-platform gamers who grumble about forking over five bucks for Stranglehold [http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410813/].

"There are other factors - support costs are a lot higher on the PC, and there's always the piracy question and what that does to sales. But about piracy, nobody really knows, it's just a big question mark," Blow said. "So the main reason for the $20 PC price point is that that's just what games like this often cost on the PC."

UPDATE: Blow is apparently sick of answering questions about the price of Braid for the PC because he's since decided to drop the price to $14.95, the same as the Xbox Live Arcade version. "Ultimately, I don't care that much about the PC release price," he wrote on his blog [http://braid-game.com/news/?p=519]. "The XBLA version was nicely profitable, and my goal with the PC release is mainly to get the game out to a wider audience."

"It would be nice to earn the optimal amount of money from that release - I have interesting ideas for games that I want to make in the future, and making games is very expensive, and I will probably have to hire people to help!" he continued. "But ultimately, I would rather have people talking about the game itself, what they like and dislike about it, than about how many American Fiat Currency Dollars it costs."

Pre-orders for the game haven't been charged yet, he said, so anyone who's already in line for the release on Impulse will also get it for $14.95. He also noted that along with Impulse, the game will be available on "one or two" other digital distribution networks when it's released.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Blow was quoted saying
"All the cool kids games cost $20 on the PC. And damn, am I cool."

I won't be buying the game for $20, just like I didn't pay $15 on the 360.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
If there was a level editor, I'd pay 50 bucks.

sunami88 said:
Blow was quoted saying
"All the cool kids games cost $20 on the PC. And damn, am I cool."

I won't be buying the game for $20, just like I didn't pay $15 on the 360.
So you wouldn't be buying the game either way. Your point?

Vim-Hogar

Sep 2, 2008
The last several PC games I bought were $5 because they were on sale on Steam. Oh, except Doom, that was $1.

I guess I figure I haven't had time to play through the games I already have, so there's not much point in buying new ones unless they're ones I plan to play some day in any case and they're as cheap as I ever expect them to be.

Edit: Hey, lookit, he changed his mind already: Braid for the PC is now $15. [http://braid-game.com/news/?p=519]

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Vim-Hogar said:
Edit: Hey, lookit, he changed his mind already: Braid for the PC is now $15. [http://braid-game.com/news/?p=519]
Frankly, $15 is priced to move on the PC. For an indy to give their game a $20 price tag, they are stating in unequivocal terms that they put at least a third of the time, effort, and money that a major developer put into a $60 game. That their game is equivalent to say, at best, a third of Half-Life 2. We know that HL2: Ep1,2,&3 are one-third of HL2, so we're not opposed to paying $20. But when you establish your game on the XBox Live Arcade as worth $15, then you can't really expect a cheery attitude when you jack the price for PC. Now that I can use a keyboard and mouse, the game is worth $5 more? When I bought Call of Duty 4 for PC, I didn't pay $5 more than my roommate did for buying it for his XBox. What he should've done was price the thing at $20 to start with.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
For $15, if it works on my laptop, I might consider it.

SirSchmoopy said:
So you wouldn't be buying the game either way. Your point?
I didn't buy the 360 version because I didn't want to have to deal with the left over Microsoft fun bucks, plus if my 360 were to die (or become obsolete, then die), I might not get it back. For PC however (barring some crazy DRM), I can play it on my laptop and/or desktop, reinstall it whenever I want (5, 10 years?), etc. Also, at the time I didn't want to support the new "Every game will be $15" conspiracy theory.

To me the PC is a different beast, having multiple computers and all. Whereas I didn't want to spend $20 and have an awkward 200 points left over, if I can just spend $15 and play it anywhere, thats fine by me.

I guess it's just a problem I have at large with XBLA. If I'm spending the money on it, I like having the data where I am in control of it.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Khell_Sennet said:
Either you want the game, and will pay the $15 or $20 for it, or you don't truly want it. For a price difference so damned low, any bitching and moaning about paying more for PC hits my ears like the warbling of a retard in heat. mew mew mew, don't wanna pay $20, that's too much. mew mew mew, not fair XBox is cheaper. mew mew mew
I'm borrowing your cat sounds joke, that got a laugh out of me.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Awesome, it's being ported to the pc!
That's pretty much all i thought, if anyone truly wants to get this then 5 bucks aren't gonna stop them. Braid was the only game i really wanted to check out for the 360

harhol said:
I'm one of those people who waits months for a game to drop in price...

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

(But seriously, Blow still appears to be competing for the '#1 Industry Asshole' award.)
Totally, after the shit he dropped regarding games and their story obstacle he proudly holds this spot in my heart, just barely after the GOW 2 incident regarding the lancer

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
It's not about extra $5 being or not being a lot of money. The issue is, why the fuck should I be paying extra for an almost year old game.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I actually didn't detect a large amount of annoying "I'm-an-indie-game-dev!" vibes from Blow in this story.

And the price has been dropped, so it's really no argument anymore.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
I usually pick up games after they drop a bit in price, however, they're still at least 30-40 bucks by then. I didn't really see the problem with the 20 buck price tag to be honest.

Maverynthia

Sep 23, 2007
I think the problem here is that we see $10 bargain bin games that have far more work into them (and that might have been top notch games 2 years ago) yet here is a game that wants to be $20 for really no other reason than greed.
As for "Well don't buy the game then" yeah I don't plan too... but I'm still going to play it >:p

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Cousin_IT said:
how loud some will cry to save $5
No kidding. Hell, I've often blown as much as $20 over the lowest-found price, simply to avoid a specific store, save travel time, or other such things.
Then you have too much money for your own good. Give it to me instead.