Brazil Debates "Offensive" Games Ban

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Brazil Debates "Offensive" Games Ban

A bill has been set in front of Brazilian legislators that would make the importing, distribution, or production of "offensive" games illegal and punishable by a prison sentence.

Brazil has banned games before - here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/80757-Brazil-Bans-Counter-Strike-EverQuest]) has been approved by the Senate's Education Commission, and will now be forwarded to the Committee on Constitution and Justice for a vote.

The bill seeks to "curb the manufacture, distribution, importation, distribution, trading and custody, storage, the video games that affect the customs, traditions of the people, their worship, creeds, religions and symbols," with particular attention given to how games treat Christianity - or at least, that's how this slightly-garbled translation reads:

"About Christianity, it is seen in some games someone beat angels while listening to a choir Catholic. It is a common supergroup flapping by hell before the final battle, or even beat Jesus and his twelve apostles,
although they have funny names."

Clearly, Raupp has been playing entirely too much Xenosaga. His bill would make any such "discrimination" a crime, and would carry a penalty of a prison sentence of one to three years. We'll cross our fingers for our Brazilian readers, because this world has enough iron-fisted censorship schemes - we don't need any more.

(Via GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2009/12/03/brazil-discussing-violent-game-ban])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It's tough to classify "offensive", since everyone is offended by something.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I've heard from some sources that this bill effectively means they can ban any game they bloody well want... I hope that isn't the case =\

This whole free-loading bashing by governments on videogaming is really getting on my nerve now. Its an age old point and I'll point it out again: film, music, books, they all get away with far worse - so why can't games?

Andrecova

Sep 24, 2009
There's more than enough censorship and people unable to play certain games as it is.

Here's hope this doesn't go through.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
It's tough to classify "offensive", since everyone is offended by something.
Not if you are an elitist government that think your opinions are right and anyone else is wrong. Then it's pretty easy to classify "offensive" things.

Let's see if Brazil has a stupid government. (Something that may very well already have been proven in this thread)

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Wow, so basically if the game has any thought-provoking content, its banned? That is total bullshit. And this is what this bill would do. Technically, it would prevent games from taking on almost any political, religious, or philosophical issues out there because they might "impact the way a gamer thinks." Yes, how dare people be exposed to the opinions of others! I have a friend who lives in Brazil, and I don't think she's too much of a gamer, but this is still incredibly annoying. Granted, some things may have been lost in translation, but I think the general gist of the message comes through loud and clear. And I don't like it.

Also, I'm pretty sure more games exist whose villains have demonic imagery than the other way around. Sure, said games where one must fight what he or she would typically consider holy do exist, but they are the minority, and neither are they outright bad, or even anti-religious.

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
Yet another country that has lost any potential tourism dollars from my wallet. Which sucks because I had wanted to go there one day. Oh well, that's politics for ya.

Seasons of Bailey

Nov 27, 2009
... Sad really. They aren't even banning games over violence or sex, but because they don't agree with the content. When the government can ban anything it doesn't like, something has obviously gone wrong.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I do hope that this guy is just a loudmouth minority. Frankly I am offended at him singling out christianity in his wording. So basically games can come out that bash islam, buddhism, hinduism, and probably even judaism without fear of persecution.
Disaster Button said:
Isn't banning video games for blindly dubbing them "offensive" discrimination in itself?
Yes, yes it is. But you won't hear this guy admit to that. He would call it 'protection.'
Masterstuffing said:
lol totally thought of cod modern warfare 2, in general as long as it protects the children from fake violence its ok with me
This bill doesn't target violence alone, and doesn't even have children alone in it's concept. This is for 'everyone's' sake. So it's basically playing big brother, singling out videogames, and yet not any other media. This is not a good thing, for anybody.

lodo_bear

Nov 15, 2009
SuperMse said:
Wow, so basically if the game has any thought-provoking content, its banned? That is total bullshit. And this is what this bill would do. Technically, it would prevent games from taking on almost any political, religious, or philosophical issues out there because they might "impact the way a gamer thinks." Yes, how dare people be exposed to the opinions of others!
Seasons of Bailey said:
... Sad really. They aren't even banning games over violence or sex, but because they don't agree with the content. When the government can ban anything it doesn't like, something has obviously gone wrong.
Dear governments everywhere,

You don't actually know what's good for us. You hardly know what's good for yourselves. You'll spare yourself a lot of expense and indignity if you ease off the censorship.

Sincerely,
Tice with a J

brunoraymundo

Dec 4, 2009
This bill is a disgrace. Freedom of speech without the freedom to offend isn't freedom of speech. And let's not even try to define what is offensive. Personally, I think politicians are offensive. They should ban themselves.

(I'm a Brazilian game development student, by the way).

Green Ninja

Aug 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
We'll cross our fingers for our Brazilian readers, because this world has enough iron-fisted censorship schemes - we don't need any more.
I think the more appropriate term would be "ham-fisted" if my English doesn't fail me here. ^^

lodo_bear

Nov 15, 2009
brunoraymundo said:
This bill is a disgrace. Freedom of speech without the freedom to offend isn't freedom of speech. And let's not even try to define what is offensive. Personally, I think politicians are offensive. They should ban themselves.

Bem-vindo ao Escapista. (Thank you, Google Translate)

OT: You're exactly right. A free society can't exist if people can get silenced so easily. Everything's offensive to someone (I'm a former full-time missionary, and some people sure do find us offensive), so blocking anything offensive is giving a blank check to people who are excessively zealous regarding their own opinions.

"There used to be a joke about the Former Soviet Union that they had freedom of speech, too - they just didn't have freedom after speech." (link [https://stpeter.im/index.php/2004/05/23/freedom-after-speech/])
See also:
http://foundation.tharwa.ws/tharwa-usa-videos/554-freedom-qafterq-speech
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_versus_blasphemy

Commander Breetai said:
I'd care, but Brazil is basically just a very large armpit in the form of a country, so...
Unfortunately, it's an armpit with nearly 200 million people living in it. That's a lot of people who stand to get screwed over by a more oppressive government, so I think some antiperspirant is in order.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
brunoraymundo said:

OK, in that case, I have to ask you... Is it a poor translation, or does it mean that if this becomes law, you can't even make "offensive" games in Brazil? If that's the case, I hope even harder that this doesn't go through, because that's ridiculous...

(This coming from a Brit games development student whose current project has "WARNING - contains drug references, drug use, sexual themes, violence, sexual violence, swearing and other things that all humans over the age of eight know all about anyway" on the front of it :p)

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Yes. Let's ban "offensive" games. Then we can ban "offensive" movies, and "offensive" books. Then we should ban "offensive" newspapers, and "offensive" news channels. And then we can send people who are being "offensive" to specialized camps.

All for the children, of course.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
o_O ...What the hell?

This is another show of utterly bullshit! Pathetic attempt from a silly senator that have absolutely nothing better to do.
And what the heck he means with "video games that affect the customs, traditions of the people, their worship, creeds, religions and symbols." ? So anything that have a potential look of "offensive", being a characterization, joke or whatsoever, is possible of ban?

Well, guess what? Even if that lol project comes to reality, it will barely affect us. Mostly becouse the majority of games that people grab here are downloaded illegal/black market. How about solving the illegal market issue first before blocking games from arriving?

Gosh... Once again politicians show why they deserve little to no respect. -.-