Breaking: Miyamoto Confirms Super Mario Bros. 3DS

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Breaking: Miyamoto Confirms Super Mario Bros. 3DS

Believe it or not, there will be a new side-scrolling Mario game on the Nintendo 3DS.

After hinting at it since the announcement of the Nintendo 3DS, Shigeru Miyamoto has confirmed that he's currently working on a new version of Super Mario Bros. for the 3D handheld. Try to act surprised.

Miyamoto spoke of the game briefly in the latest installment of Iwata Asks, an ongoing roundtable interview series. While discussing Mario's future, he said that it was important for new Mario games to use the latest technology, but still hearken back to the fun of the original game.

"So, in the interests of adopting new technology for the Super Mario Bros. tradition, I am now making a new Super Mario Bros. game for the Nintendo 3DS system," Miyamoto revealed. "I want to show everyone as soon as possible what the new Super Mario Bros. will be like on the Nintendo 3DS."

With the DS came New Super Mario Bros. Wii [http://www.amazon.com/New-Super-Mario-Bros-Nintendo-DS/dp/B000ERVMI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296606305&sr=8-1]. Miyamoto always seems to have a trick up his sleeve for the Mario games, so I think we may want to expect something big considering the power and capabilities of the 3DS.

The game could end up being Super New Super Mario Bros. 3D, which would be fine, but Miyamoto could also be creating an epic on the level of Super Mario World [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-World-Advance-Game-Boy/dp/B00005UK88], which I don't think I'm crazy in saying is one of the best, if not the best Super Mario Bros. title ever. Miyamoto's hints about the upcoming game have mostly been talking about moving objects from the background into the foreground as Mario has to dodge them and the like. If anyone can figure out how combine a 3D visual effect with a 2D side-scroller in interesting ways, it's Miyamoto.

Source: Iwata Asks [http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/mario25th/vol5_page7.jsp]

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
saw this one coming a mile away. but it doesn't exactly mean i won't get it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
hm...well, this is surprising. I really hope the sun rises tomorrow so I can enjoy this information completely...

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Hope it's not just another "New Super Mario Bros" game. I'd like an actual proper sequel to the original series of 2D games, with a fresh new art style and level design philosophy.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Can't wait, this was an obvious one but I am eager to play this game already.

inb4nintendomilksitsfranchises

Seriously, can we have one Mario news thread without these?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Let's not jump to conclusions. He could simply mean he's working on a new Mario platformer, not necessarily a 2D sidescroller.

P.S. Thanks

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
This was about as secret as...I'm not sure.
It wasn't really expected, but I didn't expect nintendo to put out the 3ds without a new mario.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Unsurprising news, but welcome none the less.

Also, that bit about moving from the backround to the forground sounds an AWFUL lot LittleBigPlanet.

Just saying.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
I'm not sure this really classifies as 'news' anymore...
Hell they don't actually have to TELL us anymore. We know what's coming.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Deal Breaker! Definately getting the 3DS now! I hope this new Mario game will be awesome! Personally, I want a game that feels like Mario 64. Castles, Paintings, stuff like that.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
What? Nintendo making a new Mario game for its new handheld? Fuck I did not see that coming at all.
/sarcasm

In all seriousness Nintendos policy for making games is as predictable as gravity. They might as well announce a new Zelda and Metroid game while theyre at it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NSMB was awesome. haven't played the Wii one, but this kind of excites me. It'll probably be a long time before I get a 3DS though. :(

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
NSMB3DS? Man, that's a complicated shorthand. Though, complicated initialization aside, this actually makes me a little more comfortable in shelling out the bills for a 3DS.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Great Scott! Stop the presses! Get someone over there to cover this story, NOW! Hee hee hee...Anyway, this should be fun. I'm still going to get a 3DS mainly for The Legend of Zelda OoT (always wanted to play that wherever I go), but I'll pick this up too.