Breaking: ModernWarfare4.com Kidnappers Speak Out

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Breaking: ModernWarfare4.com Kidnappers Speak Out

In an interview with The Escapist, the group behind the modernwarfare4.com [http://modernwarfare4.com] hostage taking details its nefarious plan to extort millions, destroy Infinity Ward and bring a gaming empire to its knees.

It was Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93516-Modern-Warfare-4-Held-Hostage] isn't being released until November, after all - gamers around the world nonetheless held their breath as they awaited Infinity Ward's response to this callous and chilling act.

Okay, so maybe it's not quite that dramatic. In fact, according to the ZiiP Community member known as Jester, the domain was actually purchased months ago and then forgotten until now. "Infinity Ward released COD4:MW [http://www.activision.com/index.html#gamepage|en_US|gameId:CallofDuty&brandId:CoD] - I guess it was very late in the night by this point and something jokingly inside my head made me think that maybe IW were superstitious about the number 3 and that they'd miss it again with the Modern Warfare sequels," he said. "So I checked for the '4' domain - and was surprised to see it was available."

"There was nothing malicious or any serious intent to make money out of owning the domain," he continued. "When I placed the message on the site asking for a copy of a game for all of my members I did so because I didn't want to make any actual cash from the domain. I just figured that IW would have promo copies of the game lying around the place and I was trying to do something nice for my little community that has stuck together for the past 4 or 5 years and paid hundreds and hundreds of pounds out to software developers."

He was also apparently naive about what would happen when word of the "hostage taking" got out. "I woke up to what I thought would be a bog standard Wednesday, and it has turned out to be one of the funniest of my gaming history," he said. "I don't think I could have put the ZiiP name around more globally if I had tried! All for a £6 domain name!"

Ultimately, Jester and the team at ZiiP are only in this for a little bit of fun and he said that if Infinity Ward wants the domain back, he'll give it up. "This is all very tongue-in-cheek. We are not holding IW to ransom. If they really want the domain, they can have it - hopefully without snotty letters from lawyers," he said. "We hope they see the funny side... One of my members said to me today that we should organize a match/scrim with the IW developers, and whoever wins gets the domain! A good idea... although knowing ZiiP, we'd probably teamkill each other and get thrashed."

Infinity Ward still has not commented and its silence becomes more ominous with each passing hour. Will they give in to the ransom demand? Or will they send in the QA department to clean house? Stay tuned!

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Am i the only one that would love Infinity Ward to turn this into the idea for a level?

Mission 4353 RESCUE THAT DAMM CLOWN!

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Ranooth said:
Am i the only one that would love Infinity Ward to turn this into the idea for a level?

Either that or they could hide a clown in every level, either a random civilian or some graffiti etc.

Zamn

Apr 18, 2009
I can see IW sitting there now thinking "maybe we shouldn't have got our lawyers to write that snotty letter"

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Hahahah I really like these guys. It all seems in good fun.

I hope infinity ward plays their little game. Might be some good PR.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I think this is a funny situation. You really hope IW wont be jackasses and do something cool. But at the same time we all love a little drama! Gonna be funny to see what happens.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Ranooth said:

I wish more developers would put those kinds of easter eggs in their games, like inFamous having "mule transportation" (A suggestion from X-Play), that'd be hilarious wouldn't it?

ZiiPJester

Jul 30, 2009
We shall have to wait and see.. :)

I've just fed the clown again today. He's looking tired. He wishes to thank you all for your continued support - although I did tell him there was none, but he didn't believe me.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Hah!

If I was IW I would at least give them a little souvenir of sorts to the community just for brightening up my day.

Maybe an in-game gun of choice with a colorful clown texture, or an in-game costume with a red afro.

I Stomp on Kittens

Don't let go!
Nov 3, 2008
Ranooth said:

Ya! but it has to be a hidden or bonus level other wise that would be pretty weird

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
ZiiPJester said:

I've just fed the clown again today. He's looking tired. He wishes to thank you all for your continued support - although I did tell him there was none, but he didn't believe me.
If you do wind up killing him I have some advice for you, do not eat clown meat, for it is usually the wrong colour and tastes funny.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
This would have ben so much more entertaining to do to Valve, but hopefully IW gets in on the fun instead of releasing the lawyers.

I still want IW to heed my previous suggestion, though.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
ZiiPJester said:

Welcome to the Escapist!

I still think you should try and make Activision as angry as possible for the entire gaming community to laugh at.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
somekindarobot said:
Anyone else considering that Infinity Ward could simply get the domain modernwarfarefour.com?
I am issueing you a cease and desist on you. You are currently ruining the fun. However, since you are new here I shall leave you with a warning and the words 'Welcome to the Escapist'!