BREAKING: Sam Wilson, Formerly "The Falcon," is Marvel's New Captain America

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
They also joked about Stephen becoming the new Falcon, which would be nothing short of amazing.

For justice, ************!

MannyDon

May 4, 2009
Marvel lost me when they had Daken kill the Punisher and brought him back as some lame Frankenstein's monster type thing. These changes seem kinda tame in comparison

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Hmmm, I'll be honest, not a massive reader of the comics, but when I opened this I thought it was going to be regarding the films, considering Chris Evans only has one or two films left as the character. Then I was thinking "but surely they were teasing it for
Bucky Barnes
to become the new Cap!". Then I realised it was the comics.

Ah well, can't say I'm 100% on board with some of the changes being made, but at the same time I applaud Marvel's attempt to be more diverse and realistic with the make-up of its character roster. As long as they don't delve into stereotypes or try and parade the fact that they're "different and oh so progressive!", I'm fine with this.

Besides, Falcon is pretty awesome anyway as a strong and independent superhero of an ethnic minority - not sure why they needed to make him Captain America to give him a bigger focus, but kudos for the effort anyway...

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
Oooooh...I wonder if this is going to carry over into the movies once Chris' contract expires and he's done. That would be a good way to keep the franchise going I think.
Nah, they're probably building up to him being replaced by

The Winter Soldier

Especially because the actor playing him has signed on for three more films than Chris Evans.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Awkward publicity stunt by Marvel, desperately trying to claw in on some new readers through false diversification.

We already have Patriot as the black Captain America, I'd much rather see him get a promotion.

Still, this will only stick for a few months/years and its back to ordinary.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
In the early 90's I read Captain America when he quit the job because the "gubbermint" tried to make him work directly for them: Rogers had had years of run ins with the very men and women he'd be answering to and knew how lawless and corrupt they could be behind the scenes. Among other things he feared being used as a killing machine to do their dirty work.

So Steve Rogers quit and became U.S. Agent while the government put what's-his-name who'd been Super Patriot into the suit. It didn't turn out well (the guy went nuts) but the story line ran for at least 2 to 3 years.

As such I can see Marvel sticking to the Falcon/Captain America and the female Thor for at least 2 years.

Annnnnddddd.....they probably need to inject fresh blood into these titles: You see, the original Thor and Captain America have been running around in Marvel since the 60's. Both comics are DAMNED hard to write for after 50 years. Putting new people into the "suits" gives writers fresh material to work with.

Gods know I'd hate to have to sit down on Thor or Captain America and come up with new stories; they've had those characters do darned well everything at one point or another so true originality is painfully difficult to come up with.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Now see... THIS makes a hell of alot more sense than some of the other recent "changes" to existing characters. To go and take a staple character and "reboot" them to be some minority is just ridiculous and pandering, in most cases, because it has no actual reason rooted in the known comic book world that fans have been following for a very, VERY long time. However, in this case, it doesnt come across that way at all, and honestly, makes sense. I can remember Sam for as long as I can remember Captain America, and this latest situation only makes perfect sense to me. Out of all of Caps friends, and people he could rely on and trust, Sam was at the top of the list in my opinion.

I am not even going to touch the whole stripping cap of the super serum and ending Captain America as we know it plot. Sorry, but thats silly, and we all know he wont be gone but for so long... but jeez, it really doesnt feel like its been THAT long since you frakking KILLED him, does it???

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Okay, this change makes sense. Could be good. Falcon has been a hero for as long as Captain America and could wear the uniform well.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
I can't help but feel like this is the beginning of a gimmick for theaters. But along with Thor, this allows them to reboot the movies even sooner, so Hollywood is due for making a ton more money when they recast a new gender/race for pretty much the exact same movie. In light of this, I demand we get a new Wonder Woman. She should be a middle-aged, pudgy, Middle Eastern man. In a burka.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
This makes a lot more sense than the Thor announcement because Falcon is an existing character and (based on the movie version) the sort of person qualified to pick up the shield and mantle of Captain America.

I will say though: If he doesn't get to keep the wings, he got the short end of the stick. Seriously, flying > shield. If I had a badass wingsuit and somebody asked me to trade it for a concave bit of metal I would tell them to go shove it.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Falterfire said:
This makes a lot more sense than the Thor announcement because Falcon is an existing character and (based on the movie version) the sort of person qualified to pick up the shield and mantle of Captain America.

I will say though: If he doesn't get to keep the wings, he got the short end of the stick. Seriously, flying > shield. If I had a badass wingsuit and somebody asked me to trade it for a concave bit of metal I would tell them to go shove it.
You can breath easy: I read in one of the news articles about this that he is definitely keeping the wings.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
Might be good to write plainly if this concerns the MCU, or "just" the comics.. 'Cause from the mention of the MCU in the intro, this seems to concern the MCU, which would have some major implications.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Copper Zen said:
Both comics are DAMNED hard to write for after 50 years. Putting new people into the "suits" gives writers fresh material to work with.
Isn't that basically the reason they gave when they "killed" Steve off in 2007?

softclocks said:
Awkward publicity stunt by Marvel, desperately trying to claw in on some new readers through false diversification.
This reminds me of when people complained that Ms. Marvel was now Captain Marvel and complained CM was a girl, forgetting that we'd already had a female (and black) Captain Marvel in the 80s.

In all probability, this is just Marvel being Marvel, not some demographics ploy.

We already have Patriot as the black Captain America, I'd much rather see him get a promotion.
I'd rather see Sam get a promotion. He's one of Steve's oldest friends, dates back decades, and wore the suit in the 60s.

Still, this will only stick for a few months/years and its back to ordinary.
If it lasts a "few years," it will be a success. This is comics we're talking about.

I'm also curious as to what "normal" is for Captain America right now. Steve Rogers is head of SHIELD, I believe. He hasn't been Captain America since the end of Civil War.

RatGouf said:
I like Captain America as a White Male because he represents an era that is pretty much gone.
Except when he's not. For example, when John Walker is Cap, or that guy from SHIELD, or....

I mean, those guys were white, but they don't represent the same thing. Nor has Steve Rogers always done so. Peoples' approach to Captain America borders on Fanon Diconstinuity

I like Thor as a White Male because he (barely) represents the actual mythology.
As you say, "barely." The disparity between the current character and the future character's respect to the fictional character of Thor is a drop in the bucket. Especially since the capacity for another person to wield Thor's powers and even "be" Thor is established in the character's own book.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
I like what they did with thor but Im not crazy about this. It feels weird taking the guy who flies around and grounding him ya know? Also they just brought steve rodgers back for a pretty forgettable(in my opinion) run of captain america and now there bringing him down again. That tells me that theyve run out of things to do with cap.

Still maybe itl add some freshness to it though I would have prefered they replace him with the leader of young avengers turned adult instead. That would have been sweet!

edit patriots his name patriot.

Also the lady with all the hair is queen medusa of the inhumans and is the protag of the inhuman run of comics. Its badass I highly reccomend it and she is also probably the reason I will check this out.

While were at it can we get daenerys targaryen(sp?)'s actor to play queen medusa in the next avengers?

Another edit:

He has wings AND a sheild OK this should be badass!

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I have no big stake in this news, so I can't really comment. All I can say is my friend who does read Captain America comics is pleased to find out the mantle will not be taken over by Armin Zola's alternate universe daughter, which he'd suspected would be the case.

Well, that and I can say that Andrew Dickman just Tweeted, "Marvel's new campaign is: Let's reveal all the assholes on the internet," which I think is pretty damned funny.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
What's next? Tony Stark come out of the closet? So far he's the only one out of the big three who haven't been changed just yet.
Either way, it doesn't bother me (there has been two black people who became similar to Cap) and I'm fine for Sam to take on the mantle.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
So The Falcon is becoming a Captain?

Please tell me I'm not the only one to think of this:

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This team gets the full 21st century token diversity award! Why worry about making sure the writing is good when you can just give everyone a new race and gender. What would comics do without Joe Quesada who seems to suffer from some sort of white mans guilt and feels the need to fuck with existing characters rather than create new ones and just make the central pieces in a story to get them out there.

Edit: Though, in all fairness, if you are going to fuck with characters like that idiot is, the right way to do it is simply pass the mantle or title on to someone new. Not like Thor... where so far they are calling a woman Thor, rather than call her what her name is. Which is essentially like just swapping the sex at this point, which is the worlds worst way to do that.