BREAKING: Sam Wilson, Formerly "The Falcon," is Marvel's New Captain America

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Now all we need if Falcon-Cap, Captain Canada, Captain Britain, Captain Russia and Captain Germany to team up and my fan boy tag team will be complete.

That said, what now for Steve (I assume he isn't dead or dying)? Back to Nomad?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
God those goggles are awful, please take them away.

Also, Iron Man is getting a new book called The Superior Iron Man, along with a new costume, so lord only knows exactly what's going on with that.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Is this a ploy to sell more comics?

Well, duh, of course it is. They're a comic book publisher, much like any other business any decision they make is likely designed with the end goal of increasing sales.

Is it a ploy to diversify their core cast in an attempt to appeal to a wider audience?

Yeah probably, but at least they appear to be tackling it in a more subtle manner than the 90's era diversity checklist (See also: Extreme Ghostbusters.)

Marvel's in an enviable position where they can experiment with this stuff and still have a rollback plan in place if it turns out to be ineffective. At the end of the day we all know that Steve Rogers and He-Thor are going to get their powers back and assume their roles, but if the new Thor and Captain America prove popular enough they can easily be added to the extended Avengers Roster or into their own series as newly branded heroes.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
not a terrible idea. i'm not against it per say. cap is a character that's more about the costume than the guy under it so changing him aint so bad.

but here's the thing that gets me, I LOVE chris evans as captain America, I think he's the best casting marvel has done so far he's even better than rdj as stark and I know nobody thinks anyone else could play stark but come on, how hard do you think it would be to find a Hollywood actor willing to play a rich narcissist with substance abuse problems? Evans playing cap as honest and straightforward as possible makes the character and I think you'd have very little chance of someone else being able to pull it off. don't get me wrong I like Anthony Mackie as falcon I have no problems with him being in more of the movies but that wing suit is cool, his character is cool, why mess with it? I know evans contract comes up soon so marvel has to cover their bases but my hope is that they'll find a way to convince him to keep doing it so we get some more cap movies out of him which have honestly been the best part of the mcu so far for me.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Everyone remember 3-4 years ago when Bucky was Cap?

Seriously, this has GOT to stop making the news and marvel really needs to work out what they're doing because this is not coming across as well planned. Don't get me wrong, it could be, but it just sounds like "LOOK! We made Thor a woman even though that makes pretty much no sense and we did this with Tanarus a few years ago! We made Falcon into Captain America, but hopefully he won't be called Steve Rogers since that would be about as retarded as what we're doing with the Thor thing and is completely ignoring his existing skills and powers in lieu of him inexplicably mastering the shield.

Y'know what's news-worthy? How GOOD the Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel/She-Hulk books ARE! They're genuinely good reads! As was Thor, Captain America and Iron-man in their own vein. I'd be pretty pissed if they made Carol into Mar-Vell as an attempt to pander to the retro crowd and I'm kinda pissed that Sam Wilson doesn't get to keep being Falcon because he's COOL.

If you want greater diversity in comics do it by writing original GOOD characters! How about instead of Falcon Cap and Woman Thor you give Luke Cage and Jessica Jones their own books each! Because they're interesting! They have personalities and character and don't need to be Cagetain America or... Jhor... to be seen as interesting! I mean f*ck, Fearless Defenders was pretty good for a while too! Why didn't that make the news it's got Valkyrie in it who's ALREADY a female Thor!

Just... do it if you have a story for it, don't do it because it makes national news several months before it even happens for f*ck's sake, then it IS pandering.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Maybe one day they're gonna make all their heroes black, women and gay just to make a political statement. Maybe that's why I stop reading comics, I've realized the stories and plots it's more about the costume than the person.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
I would get excited about this kind of thing if I didn't know it was a mere matter of time before the status quo is resolved, and this becomes nothing more than a piece of trivia akin to "remember that time when Captain America wasn't Captain America?"

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'm okay with this. I really am. I'm guessing he should still have his ability to communicate with birds (once described by Nick Fury as having a larger spy network than SHIELD) and wing suit, so wow is that going to be awesome.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Ooookay.
So it seems like Joe Quesada stepping down as Marvel's EIC was a terrible plan.
Marvel has gone straight into "rehashing old publicity stunts" mode.

I don't really have a problem with Falcon taking over as Captain America for a while. On its own, it makes enough sense, seeing as Cap and Falcon have been partners for ages....but the thing is that they JUST did this with Cap "dying" and Bucky taking over as Captain America a couple years ago....and people more or less JUST warmed up to the idea of Bucky being a worthy successor to Cap's name.
Now that Rogers turned out to be alive he had taken back over as being Cap, so Bucky went back to being the Winter Soldier.
And Bucky is STILL just hangin' around doing his Winter Soldier thing.....soooo why would he NOT be the one to pick up where he left off as Cap's successor?

Mind you, I say Marvel's "rehashing old publicity stunts" not just because Bucky JUST replaced Cap and this is now the SIXTH female "Thor", but because Falcon HIMSELF has already been Captain America before, briefly. We're knee-deep in rehash mode.

And, just as yesterday's female "Thor" announcement is a complete failure to bring Valkyrie into the spotlight or capitalize on Sif's recent surge in popularity due to her movie/TV appearances, this is a failure to bring Falcon, as Falcon, into the spotlight and capitalize on HIS surge in popularity from 'The Winter Soldier'. Why NOT let Falcon stand as his own thing and support the growth of his popularity?
Bucky has always been just inextricably a part of the Captain America story, while Falcon's as much his own thing as Cap's partner....

It's like Marvel has run out of ideas.
What's next? Pym invents a killer robot? Hulk turns a new color? A new alien symbiote goes on a rampage? Jean Grey comes back to life? Wolverine dies?
Oh, wait. Wolverine IS scheduled to die. Again.

*sigh*

I must say though, Falcon's Captain America suit has some pretty damn snazzy ideas....aside from the Falcon goggles and Falcon mask. It's a slick blend of Roger's "Commander/Agent Of SHIELD" suit, and the classic Captain America suit. But all that stupid black (really dark blue?) needs to be regular Cap blue.
Looks waaaaaaay better than the shiny blue with black pants/sides crap Bucky was wearing as Captain America.
IF he still has his Falcon wings, fine, keep the goggles. If not, then they just look out of place. Either way, he needs the blue mask with the wings and the "A".

EDIT: He DOES still have his Falcon wings(cool), so the goggles are fine. But the Falcon mask needs to go and be replaced with the Cap mask.

Guess we'll see how Captain Falcon does....
If he screams "FALCON PUUUUUNCH!!!" as he punches someone in the stomach, this will all be worth it.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hmm, I came in here to complain that I liked the Falcon but now that I see he's still the Falcon and Captain America then that's pretty cool. It'll allow the Cap to get more into action.

It's kinda weird to see them keep messing with main characters but I have a soft spot for the falcon and wanted to see him in more stuff.

It's awkward to see Marvel pandering like this. But at least the falcon is going to be interesting in this role. I do maintain that choosing a character because of race or sex is the same racism as not choosing a character because of sex or race, but at least this will be worth reading because of the kind of hero the Falcon is rather than the color of his skin. So, screw Marvel for picking the falcon because of race. But cool that it's The Falcon.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm carrying the same thought from the Thor-is-now-a-woman thread: "How convenient".
Alright we've got sex and race covered, now all we need if for Tony Stark to convert to Islam and Marvel's got the PC trifecta.

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
MannyDon said:
Marvel lost me when they had Daken kill the Punisher and brought him back as some lame Frankenstein's monster type thing. These changes seem kinda tame in comparison
Punisher was once turned black and started hunting demons.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm carrying the same thought from the Thor-is-now-a-woman thread: "How convenient".
Alright we've got sex and race covered, now all we need if for Tony Stark to convert to Islam and Marvel's got the PC trifecta.
We've already got the new girl calling herself Ms. Marvel.
Kamala Khan is a Muslim teenager.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Diddy_Mao said:
At the end of the day we all know that Steve Rogers and He-Thor are going to get their powers back and assume their roles, but if the new Thor and Captain America prove popular enough they can easily be added to the extended Avengers Roster or into their own series as newly branded heroes.
Is Rogers currently Captain America? The stuff I've read online seems a touch confused. I've seen a lot of stuff describe it like he's put on the costume "one more time" a couple of times since the "death" of Barnes. I've also seen him listed as director of SHIELD.

Like, I don't doubt he'll come back even if he's currently Cap, but the question would be, when? And would it be a long enough block of time it didn't matter?

I can see Thor being reversed in six months, but I'm not so sure with Captain America.

Plus, Falcon doesn't need to be added to the Avengers. He already is one. ;)

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Diddy_Mao said:
At the end of the day we all know that Steve Rogers and He-Thor are going to get their powers back and assume their roles, but if the new Thor and Captain America prove popular enough they can easily be added to the extended Avengers Roster or into their own series as newly branded heroes.
Is Rogers currently Captain America? The stuff I've read online seems a touch confused. I've seen a lot of stuff describe it like he's put on the costume "one more time" a couple of times since the "death" of Barnes. I've also seen him listed as director of SHIELD.

Like, I don't doubt he'll come back even if he's currently Cap, but the question would be, when? And would it be a long enough block of time it didn't matter?

I can see Thor being reversed in six months, but I'm not so sure with Captain America.

Plus, Falcon doesn't need to be added to the Avengers. He already is one. ;)
Thor and Cap will both be reversed within 10 months. They'll be back to normal in time for the release of 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' in May.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
You probably weren't going there, but it does conveniently make the people complaining look rather ridiculous, considering they're complaining about characters who have had changed identities before having changed identities again.

Yes, convenient indeed.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ieyke said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
We've already got the new girl calling herself Ms. Marvel.
Kamala Khan is a Muslim teenager.
I was thinking of the Avengers lineup but fair enough :p