Brenda Romero Resigns IGDA Post Over GDC Party - UPDATED

Razorback0z

New member
Feb 10, 2009
363
0
0
How else would Brenda Romero get attention ? Im not sure whos the bigger attention whore, her or John.
 

Razorback0z

New member
Feb 10, 2009
363
0
0
Akalabeth said:
Baresark said:
Akalabeth said:
Baresark said:
TL;DR: I'm all for her fighting against things she doesn't agree with, but martyrdom in this situation and throwing away her position of power is just childish.
It's called having principles.
That was quick. I figured it was only a matter of time before someone had something smug to say, but one sentence is very disappointing. It's completely flawed reasoning to remove herself from her position of substantial power just because of some dancers. And her overreaction, even one based off of principles, does not forward her cause in any way. She could have complained after the fact and gotten the rules changed, maybe enlightened people about something she did not agree with. Now she has made a move that is more divisive than anything else. We should all applaud her on her principles, but she gets negative points on her pride. She is literally crying over spilled milk, which by definition is expressing vain regret over that which cannot be changed or undone. Essentially, she could not change this party, but she could change the next one and all others after that. She still might, but she threw a tantrum and threw away her position of influence when that didn't need to happen. I don't disagree with her gripe, but I disagree with how she handled it.

Edit: What I'm saying may change based on more information. But right now that is what the situation reads as.
No, you're reading all sorts of bullshit into her motivations. Tantrum? Throwing a fit? Crying? Why are you making her sound childish when the quote on the matter is anything but childish? If anyone is being childish it's you because you're assuming the worst of her even when it's contrary to the facts.

When the strongest statement a person can make is resignation, it doesn't display them as proud and arrogant it displays them as someone who understands their own worth. They know that by resigning the association they're with will be worse off, and they also know that to be complicit in something they so strongly disagree with they de-value themselves both in their own mind and the minds of their supporters.
Right because its so much more effective to change something your no longer involved in ?
 

Smooth Operator

New member
Oct 5, 2010
8,162
0
0
Oh here we are again, everybody flipping their shit because someone spotted a mildly attractive female... meanwhile half the cosplayers run around in high heels and bikinis, not to mention how things end up when these people get drunk.

No I don't think go go dancers have a place at such events but making a calm and collected complaint about it is what civilized people do, not have everyone involved resign and possibly burned at the stake.
 

JaredXE

New member
Apr 1, 2009
1,378
0
0
Oh noes, women in costumes at a party! I better resign and whine like a ***** over a non thing.
 

omega 616

New member
May 1, 2009
5,883
0
0
There needs to be some balance here, look at some of the wording in this article "A serious uproar has erupted". If that sentence was said without context you would be thinking "has something happened in the middle east? Has North Korea launched something else?" ... no, some girls wore skimpy clothing.

people quitting and stuff is just as stupid as hiring the girls, making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

It should be more of a "fucking really?" than "I quit".

I'm of the opinion "get your boobs out of my gaming" but I'm not going to boycott gaming till DOA dresses there females like nuns.
 

JarinArenos

New member
Jan 31, 2012
556
0
0
Do a little research.

1. The resignation was symbolic. She had *three days* left in her voluntary position. This wasn't her throwing a shitfit and tossing her career away. She's far from the only one, as well. A number of people have stated that they've canceled future association with the company in question.

2. Yetizen was the co-sponsor of the event with the GDC. And at a conference where major panels were held about women in game development, they decided that topless dancers were the way to go. On the arm of the CEO no less. And yes, body-paint from the waist up is topless.
 

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
2,372
0
0
Seriously, Brenda Romero resigned!? How can the gaming industry possibly continue?

I mean, who in heaven's name is this person and why the bloody hell should we care about what she does? Good fucking riddance, I say. Seeing the picture of the event that was posted by rhizhim, I've seen girls in similar attire appear in clubs/pubs around town flogging drinks/club flyers to people of all genders and you know what? Nobody gives a toss, regardless of their gender. This uptight ***** may have resigned from whatever it was she was a member of, but she could probably do us all a favour and resign from this, and any other, plane of existence.

In other news, The Two Towers is currently showing on Film 4 tonight and Gandalf has just returned, so this silly little event pretty much fades into complete insignificance in comparison.
 

I-Protest-I

New member
Nov 7, 2009
267
0
0
People wearing revealing clothing and dancing? Quick alert the fucking police! There's a music gig I'm going to tomorrow with the same circumstances!

Seriously lass don't upset yourself over such a small thing, a party not to your taste doesn't constitute bad taste and you should get some thicker skin.
 

Ukomba

New member
Oct 14, 2010
1,528
0
0
I-Protest-I said:
People wearing revealing clothing and dancing? Quick alert the fucking police! There's a music gig I'm going to tomorrow with the same circumstances!

Seriously lass don't upset yourself over such a small thing, a party not to your taste doesn't constitute bad taste and you should get some thicker skin.
pft, you just don't get it. They're providing paying jobs to women, they have to put a stop to that.
 

Airon

New member
Jan 8, 2012
107
0
0
Ok, it looks like YetiZen provided that entertainment without clearing that kind of stunt with the IDGA folks.

Right after panels about the situation of women in the gaming industry and all the goddamn fucking shit we read in the twitter feeds about harassment of women in the industry, some silly people throw skimpily dressed models in to the mix at a party of gaming industry professionals, that includes lots of women to boot.

Kinda like having bachelor-party stripper entertainment jump out of the wedding-day cake.

If I was overreacting I'd ask if those people who put the entertainment together have actually ever had a girl friend.

All the men here who have screwed up in the slightest in a relationship and actually recognized that they did something wrong could spot what the stupid faux pas this was. And those of you who couldn't need to work on it.
 

I-Protest-I

New member
Nov 7, 2009
267
0
0
Ukomba said:
I-Protest-I said:
People wearing revealing clothing and dancing? Quick alert the fucking police! There's a music gig I'm going to tomorrow with the same circumstances!

Seriously lass don't upset yourself over such a small thing, a party not to your taste doesn't constitute bad taste and you should get some thicker skin.
pft, you just don't get it. They're providing paying jobs to women, they have to put a stop to that.
Just wish people would calm down over this stuff, there are actual issues to focus on and this detracts from them.
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
Okay, people. The issue is not that the women were scantily clad, or that women dancing is inherently bad / offensive. That's stupid. The issue is that, at an industry event that should have been somewhat professional, there were women hired to dance as entertainment. For eye candy. Especially in an industry going through the crucible of dealing with misogyny and normalized sexism, this was a tremendously bad call to make.

Ask yourself this: What did the dancers bring to the party? What was the purpose of having them there? Would having music, drinks, video games to play not be enough? Why was it so important to cater to the straight male gaze by having womens' bodies as entertainment?

If you go to a strip club, you are aware that you are going to see sexualized forms. You are implicitly consenting to this by going to a strip club.

If you go to an industry event, you are not.

The issue, again, is NOT "Oh no there are women in skimpy costumes." A woman who wants to dress up like Mai Shiranui for cosplay is doing it over her own volition. A woman who works at a strip club for her work is doing it of her own volition. Thus, the problem is not with the women who were dancing & doing their jobs, but with the company who hired them.

The Plunk said:
A feminist over-reacting to something? It must be a day that ends with a y.

Perhaps people like Adria Richards and this woman should take a trip to Saudi Arabia. Either they would find out what real oppression of women is, or they would find their new homes in the land of sexual repression.
Yes, because we sure can't deal with any inequality at home until we have COMPLETELY SOLVED IT elsewhere. Dude, that's silly.

(And once again, this has nothing to do with sexual repression. At all. For either of them.)
 

Razorback0z

New member
Feb 10, 2009
363
0
0
Akalabeth said:
Razorback0z said:
Akalabeth said:
Baresark said:
Akalabeth said:
Baresark said:
TL;DR: I'm all for her fighting against things she doesn't agree with, but martyrdom in this situation and throwing away her position of power is just childish.
It's called having principles.
That was quick. I figured it was only a matter of time before someone had something smug to say, but one sentence is very disappointing. It's completely flawed reasoning to remove herself from her position of substantial power just because of some dancers. And her overreaction, even one based off of principles, does not forward her cause in any way. She could have complained after the fact and gotten the rules changed, maybe enlightened people about something she did not agree with. Now she has made a move that is more divisive than anything else. We should all applaud her on her principles, but she gets negative points on her pride. She is literally crying over spilled milk, which by definition is expressing vain regret over that which cannot be changed or undone. Essentially, she could not change this party, but she could change the next one and all others after that. She still might, but she threw a tantrum and threw away her position of influence when that didn't need to happen. I don't disagree with her gripe, but I disagree with how she handled it.

Edit: What I'm saying may change based on more information. But right now that is what the situation reads as.
No, you're reading all sorts of bullshit into her motivations. Tantrum? Throwing a fit? Crying? Why are you making her sound childish when the quote on the matter is anything but childish? If anyone is being childish it's you because you're assuming the worst of her even when it's contrary to the facts.

When the strongest statement a person can make is resignation, it doesn't display them as proud and arrogant it displays them as someone who understands their own worth. They know that by resigning the association they're with will be worse off, and they also know that to be complicit in something they so strongly disagree with they de-value themselves both in their own mind and the minds of their supporters.
Right because its so much more effective to change something your no longer involved in ?
It's the culture that needs to change, not the organization, and accomplishing the first is not reliant upon the second.
On the contrary. Im not just posting as a gamer with a side interest in this topic. I have qualifications in organisational change management and have been coaching employees, managers and executives on cultural change for many years.

You simply cannot affect something by walking away from it. Your protest will have a minimal and short lived effect. You will be replaced by someone more motivated and the journey of the organisation will continue.

By your logic Nelson Mandela should have left South Africa in order to end apartheid.

Whenever you are in doubt about this, conduct this experiment, its called "the bucket indispensability test". Fill a bucket with water, put your head in it, pull your head out, if you leave a hole in the water, you are indispensable.

If the IGDA/GDC have institutionalised/cultural problems as you suggest then the way to assist the organisation with those issues is by positively influencing the leaders. This is difficult from inside the organisation and impossible from without. Resignation is sometimes the only direction for a personal moral compass and that?s fine. But more often than not it is self serving and attention seeking.

In this instance we are talking about at least one individual (Romero) who has barely ever had a photo taken that could be described as anything other than an attempt at ?glamour?. Given who she is and given her background and current circumstances, I think the motivations are very clear and extremely narcissistic.
 

JarinArenos

New member
Jan 31, 2012
556
0
0
Razorback0z said:
You quoted me, but ignored my first point. She wasn't "leaving a position where she could have made a difference". Her resignation made a grand total difference of *three days*. It was a statement, nothing more.
 

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
7,190
0
0
John Funk said:
Is it definitely confirmed that they were hired dancers? The articles seem to imply it, but I haven't seen any outright say it.

Considering that nobody has written it as a fact, a lot of people are assuming they were simply normal party goers who happened to be wearing revealing outfits.