Brenda Romero Resigns IGDA Post Over GDC Party - UPDATED

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Hjalmar Fryklund said:
Darken12 said:
Baresark said:
That is fine if you don't want to cite a bunch of stuff. I'm not interested in denying any actual scientific work that has been done which defends your point of view. It's easy to sit there and say something isn't scientific enough or the study is conducted with large enough test groups, I see that on here all the time. And while it should always be scrutinized, I doubt anyone around here is qualified enough to deny the results of any scientific studies.
Tried to find the post I made in the Anita thread, but apparently it's no longer on my profile. Maybe the thread got deleted.
Completely off-topic, but if the thread you have in mind got locked (as Sarkeesian-related threads are prone to) it would have been automatically deleted some period after it was locked. I think the period length is two weeks or so, but I am not entirely certain.
That would seem to be the case, yes. Alas!

Captcha: fade away. How appropriate, Captcha. How appropriate.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Tenmar said:
TheCommanders said:
It's weird, because I always thought games were a great way to bring people of all different backgrounds, genders, races, sexual preferences, whatever, together. I've been playing some Mass Effect multiplayer recently and you meet people from all over, and you get to work together towards a common goal. Still we (gamers) somehow manage to consistently end up at each others throats over issues that we should be united in our efforts to improve. Sigh, real life sucks...
Gotta remember though that it isn't a small niche group that enjoys video games anymore. Certainly being a hobbyist to the point where you are really knowledgeable or extremely skills is still very niche or a niche group for a certain genre of game. But overall? Every really is a gamer now. Ever since Sony went with the Playstation video games and the people who play them has only expanded in terms of demographics and video games are more accessible than ever.

So that compassion or unity that used to bind people locally as kids of the 80's were picked on because they interacted with an electronic device were nerdy is all but gone. Also more adults at that point are often going to either forget that moment in their lives and move on from it. Not to mention due to the end of local co-op in video games that people really don't actually get to socialize the same way anymore. There really is that difference of sitting with someone and playing video games with them than playing even one house over.
Ah, I see I phrased that badly. My point was that when playing games with people, it's rarely - if ever - an issue that straights and gays are playing together, or blacks and whites, or males and females, we're just all people trying to enjoy ourselves. However, the moment a controversial topic is brought up, all of these people are suddenly at each other's throats. It's almost like the concept of an issue has taken on more divisiveness than the actual issue, if that makes any sense. Just trying to clear up what I was talking about.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Quadocky said:
Uhura said:
Got to love the hyperbole in some of the responses here. Apparently expecting a modicum of professionalism and inclusiveness from industry related events is totally out of line.
I wish I could somehow elevate this post above others and hold it like an sign of enlightenment among a sea of bizarre nonsense.

But of course such nice response like this will probably be met with goal post moving.

My favorite hyperbole so far is the one relating to Burkas.
Oh whew, thanks. I was half expecting a verbal smack down. Yeah, the Burka hyperbole is my favorite too, a true classic! I think I have to stop reading this thread though. I'm starting to get a headache from all the facepalming.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
So feminists complain about the wage gap in the industry, which is mainly due to barely any woman actually going into the industry. Then they quit their jobs and try to ban hired dancers (we still don't know if they were actual hired dancers), thus bringing down the overall number of women in the industry?

What.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I suppose at this rate we'll be better off tying a noose round our necks for any kind of fun. Sexism a problem? Damn straight on both sides but the majority of the females are arrogant about it. I'll try and avoid a sexist joke relating to that but shooting yourself in the foot is only hurting yourself.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Guitarmasterx7 said:
You can understand why? Have you ever been to any party or night club ever? This is nothing. Hell, the girl on the right is dressed pretty modestly compared to most girls' average party attire.

What the hell do gamers have against pretty women? I'm legitimately asking. Booth babes, "fake" gamer girls, and now they're not even allowed at our parties. Nobody is holding a gun to their head and telling them to dress like this. They probably see this gig as getting paid to party. Since they seem to have no unifying factor other than color id even be willing to bet their dress code was "wear white" and THEY were the ones who chose to dress like that.

The rectally inserted sticks of some people geez.
This is sort of my opinion as well. They're really not dressed that sexually, and I'm having a hard time imagining anyone who thinks they are in a real night club.

Sometimes I can't shake this idea that we're so desperate to convince ourselves that we're fighting social inequality that we just blindly attack anything.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
I know discrimination is wrong but this positive discrimination is becoming tiresome, you can't hire a woman displaying her sexuality in anyway or you're being sexist, you can't display black people in a bad light or use the "N" word however appropriate the situation "I'm talking about Django" where you had a number of activists claiming the film was racist when it so clearly wasn't and god forbid you use the word "Jew" in any context.

Yet we can kill arabs and muslims by the thousands in games and films because they don't count as people apparently, we can undermine and berate their religion because that's ok, I also notice films and games can refer to Chinese/Koreans and other far east nationals as g*oks and ch*nks with no fallout because that isn't the same as using the "N" word.

Were not allowed to objectify women in anyway, hire some slightly sexy dancers and you're a sexist pig undermining the whole feminist movement, yet women use their sexuality as weapon all the time to manipulate and make men feel uncomfortable.

People have a right to discrimination free life and be protected from uncomfortable situations in the work place but I've shown that picture to all my female friends on facebook and not one said it was sexist or would make them uncomfortable being there and as for Brenda Romero she wasn't even there. It's a typical stunt to gain media attention creating something out of nothing but all it achieves is turning more people against her cause.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
I think another of the major problems here is that continually beating a live horse will kill it.

And then you're beating a dead horse.

Seriously, there are times to get offended, like the Dead island bust statue thing. Then there's this time. A time where your reaction causes everyone else to be confused. And then get annoyed at you for your ridiculous reaction.

Also in my mind, I hear "romero" and think "lol daikatana"

Yeah I know she's his wife, but I think the crazy rubbed off on her, too.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Uhura said:
Quadocky said:
Uhura said:
Got to love the hyperbole in some of the responses here. Apparently expecting a modicum of professionalism and inclusiveness from industry related events is totally out of line.
I wish I could somehow elevate this post above others and hold it like an sign of enlightenment among a sea of bizarre nonsense.

But of course such nice response like this will probably be met with goal post moving.

My favorite hyperbole so far is the one relating to Burkas.
Oh whew, thanks. I was half expecting a verbal smack down. Yeah, the Burka hyperbole is my favorite too, a true classic! I think I have to stop reading this thread though. I'm starting to get a headache from all the facepalming.
I am also quoting you to show support.

OT: This did not happen in a vacuum guys and it was a stupid move that rings of being tone deaf. To those sick of these discussions: too bad. They will not stop till some of this crap is addressed with more then a sound bite.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
So lemme get this straight, there was a party and because a few chicks showed up in skimpy outfits and danced around that caused enough butthurt for a resignation?