Breonna Taylor Grand Jury Billing thread

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Considering it's just about to happen, may as well get this started now.

EDIT: One of the four, Hankinson (not the one who sent the neo-Nazi manifesto e-mail that leaked), got hit with three counts of wanton endangerment. No other charges pressed. Downtown Louisville is basically a green zone right now, KY NG has been activated and a 9pm curfew has been set.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Wanton Endangerment is a Class D felony. A Class D felony is a non-violent or a victimless crime that does not involve physical violence towards another person.
So I guess the legal interpretation is that Breonna Taylor was not a person.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Wanton Endangerment is a Class D felony. A Class D felony is a non-violent or a victimless crime that does not involve physical violence towards another person.
So I guess the legal interpretation is that Breonna Taylor was not a person.
Oh that's not even half of it.

The wanton endangerment charges are for shots fired into the OTHER apartments. Not one charge was pressed for direct involvement in Taylor's death.

EDIT: This is the KY statute for wanton endangerment:

" A person is guilty of wanton endangerment in the first degree when, under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, he wantonly engages in conduct which creates a substantial danger of death or serious physical injury to another person. "

Last edited:

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I simply don't get how firing a gun is a non-violent crime. NON VIOLENT. When a gun is by definition a violent tool.
But I guess we shouldn't be surprised white cops get away with killing another black person.
I'm actually surprised they handed down any indictments at all. But then again they managed to find the one set of indictments even more insulting and dehumanizing than no indictments at all.

Well this sucks.
They were literally holding off from making the announcement until they could fortify downtown and get the Guard ready to call in. They only finished getting the barriers and such in place last night.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Anyone have any info on jury selection process? I'm guessing the case was decided then and there. Or maybe the prosecutor just dropped the ball hardcore and push for much too high charges that couldn't stick.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Anyone have any info on jury selection process? I'm guessing the case was decided then and there. Or maybe the prosecutor just dropped the ball hardcore and push for much too high charges that couldn't stick.
Grand jurys almost always do what the prosecutor wants. They get to control all the evidence and narrative presented to the jury. If the jury handed down these charges, these are the charges the DA asked for.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Sadly, I expected this would be coming. They are only going after shooting into other apartments because they are terrified of setting a precedent in her case. They refuse to touch anything to do with the warrant on her because it lacked probable cause, but by ruling such, they set a precedent that would put thousands of other cases in jeopardy so no way in hell they are going to do it. If they go after the officer, they then have to show he was wrong to fire into her apartment at all, which then would bring the warrant into question. By ONLY going after him firing into other apartments the validity of the warrant won't come into question.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
"They" meaning the jury, correct?
"They" being the DA's office. They have been trying to figure out how to tip toe around this issue for months. The way they chose to prosecute the case is impacted by this issue is the problem. They can't go hard on the officer for firing into the apartment they were serving a VALID warrant on. If it is then shown that the warrant was not valid, they opened a whole new can of worms, They didn't have adequate or reasonable probable cause for the warrant and it should have never been issued in the first place. Going after the officers serving the warrant sends them down that rabbit hole but going after them for shooting into an apartment that was not involved with the warrant does not. Those are actions outside of the warrant. They do not want to get into anything that would question the validity of the warrant itself.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
"They" being the DA's office. They have been trying to figure out how to tip toe around this issue for months. The way they chose to prosecute the case is impacted by this issue is the problem. They can't go hard on the officer for firing into the apartment they were serving a VALID warrant on. If it is then shown that the warrant was not valid, they opened a whole new can of worms, They didn't have adequate or reasonable probable cause for the warrant and it should have never been issued in the first place. Going after the officers serving the warrant sends them down that rabbit hole but going after them for shooting into an apartment that was not involved with the warrant does not. Those are actions outside of the warrant. They do not want to get into anything that would question the validity of the warrant itself.
Wouldn't the fact they werent allowed to do a No-Knock entry invalidate their warrant?

Edit: Pretty sure I said this was going to happen this way last week. This is the least suprising thing I've ever seen

Exley97

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
Country
United States
Grand jurys almost always do what the prosecutor wants. They get to control all the evidence and narrative presented to the jury. If the jury handed down these charges, these are the charges the DA asked for.
I can't vouch for this 100%, because I don't know Kentucky law, but this thread was pretty informative. Basically, Kentucky has specific laws that grant justifications for police in the event that officers use force. Other states have such laws as well, but they allow cases against police officers to procede so that the justifications can be argued or applied during trial. Kentucky, however, does not. So basically, the DA can invoke this law to say "We couldn't prosecute the officers that shot Breonna Taylor because the law prohibits us," which is basically what they said.

In other words, there was never a grand jury investigation into the officers for killing Taylor, only the one officer that shot into the other apartment. So a jury never got to deliberate on why, if the police announced themselves, Taylor's boyfriend thought someone was breaking in and fired first, or why Taylor was shot so many times even though her boyfriend was the one with the gun and she was in the hallway, or why the police officers were photographed with bodycams on on their vests but insist no body cams recorded footage of the raid, or why they sent an ambulance on standby away just prior to the raid and didn't call it back after they discovered Taylor had been shot and showed little to no interest in providing first aid.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So apparently there was no "no knock warrant" situation, the cops were knocking but they didn't answer the door and when they eventually broke down the door the guy shot the cop in the leg first and then the cops started shooting.

I think this situation has been criminally misreported. I didn't even know the shot that the boyfriend fired actually hit anyone until earlier today.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So apparently there was no "no knock warrant" situation, the cops were knocking but they didn't answer the door and when they eventually broke down the door the guy shot the cop in the leg first and then the cops started shooting.

I think this situation has been criminally misreported. I didn't even know the shot that the boyfriend fired actually hit anyone until earlier today.
The cops claim there was no 'no knock warrant' and they claim to have a witness to that. They also at first claimed the police cam footage would show that, and then later said there was no police cam footage. And then photos emerged showing the officers wearing cameras, but any video recorded it not allowed to be seen.
Despite any miss-reporting, the consensus is that the police and DA are straight up lying about the case and are hiding evidence.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

Yes. It is. By the Police.

Ms Taylor, who had also got out of bed amid the commotion, was shot and died on the hallway floor.

According to an arrest report, the officers had been granted a "no-knock" warrant, allowing them to enter the property without warning.

But Mr Cameron said on Wednesday the officers had not actually served such a warrant. The attorney general said the officers' statements that they identified themselves "are corroborated by an independent witness".

Some neighbours told local media they did not hear the officers announce themselves.

No drugs were found at the property, though Jefferson County prosecutor Thomas Wine has previously said the search was cancelled after the shooting.

The subsequent police report contained errors, including listing Ms Taylor's injuries as "none" and saying no force was used to enter, when a battering ram had been used.

Mr Walker was initially charged with attempted murder and assault of a police officer, but the case against him was dropped in May amid national scrutiny of the case.

Reactions: Exley97

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I can't vouch for this 100%, because I don't know Kentucky law, but this thread was pretty informative. Basically, Kentucky has specific laws that grant justifications for police in the event that officers use force. Other states have such laws as well, but they allow cases against police officers to procede so that the justifications can be argued or applied during trial. Kentucky, however, does not. So basically, the DA can invoke this law to say "We couldn't prosecute the officers that shot Breonna Taylor because the law prohibits us," which is basically what they said.

In other words, there was never a grand jury investigation into the officers for killing Taylor, only the one officer that shot into the other apartment. So a jury never got to deliberate on why, if the police announced themselves, Taylor's boyfriend thought someone was breaking in and fired first, or why Taylor was shot so many times even though her boyfriend was the one with the gun and she was in another room, or why the police officers were photographed with bodycams on on their vests but insist no body cams recorded footage of the raid, or why they sent an ambulance on standby away just prior to the raid and didn't call it back after they discovered Taylor had been shot and showed little to no interest in providing first aid.
What was even the point of the grand jury? That was never going to do anything