Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Yes. It is. By the Police.

The police is not who is supposed to report on the police, that's the journalist's job. Obviously the police will try to spin it to their benefit if not outright lie like in this case. It is a failure of the journalists who repeated those partial or incorrect statements that they didn't dig deeper and get to the truth.

If there was a witness, why didn't the news find out about him through having interviewed every person in that apartment building.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
The police is not who is supposed to report on the police, that's the journalist's job. Obviously the police will try to spin it to their benefit if not outright lie like in this case. It is a failure of the journalists who repeated those partial or incorrect statements that they didn't dig deeper and get to the truth.

If there was a witness, why didn't the news find out about him through having interviewed every person in that apartment building.
Apparently they knew the whole time. During the press conference with the special prosecutor (I watched it) a journalist asked "Do you think that the one witness, who was upstairs, who heard them identify themselves, was a sufficient announcement?" The special prosecutor never said anything about the witness being upstairs.

Even Obsidian's quote says "Some neighbours told local media they did not hear the officers announce themselves."

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

I'm pretty sure they did. Not many were listening. Most of this was know before Floyd died. I'm pretty sure we had a thread on it on the old version of the forum. The reaction to Floyd didn't happen in a vacuum. But since there was video of Floyd, you can't escape from what happened. A video gains far more traction than any ’clear cut case.’

Also, strongly disagree on cops not reporting on cops thing. Journalism is a back up when things fail, not the first line of defence. Everyone in the justice system needs to take it seriously or what's the actual point of cops?

What you're saying is that cops bear no responsibility and an outside party is responsible for maintaining appropriate behaviour. If this is the standard, I'm fine with there never being a cop again.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Everyone in the justice system needs to take it seriously
"the public" isn't necessarily a part of the justice system except for the select members of the jury. Nobody else needs to know.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
"the public" isn't necessarily a part of the justice system except for the select members of the jury. Nobody else needs to know.
I don't think I put ’public’ anywhere in that statement. I'm talking about everyone in the justice system - DA, judges, cops and lawmakers

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
The Government needs to be held accountable to the citizens, ie the public. The days of just sealed 'evidence' we're not allowed to see, but definitely 100% totes for realz proves the police innocent and stop asking questions are over. Or at the least should be over.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I don't think I put ’public’ anywhere in that statement. I'm talking about everyone in the justice system - DA, judges, cops and lawmakers
None of whom are responsible for reporting to the public, which was your contention, wasn't it? "Why aren't these things being reported accurately?"

The Government needs to be held accountable to the citizens, ie the public. The days of just sealed 'evidence' we're not allowed to see, but definitely 100% totes for realz proves the police innocent and stop asking questions are over. Or at the least should be over.
Normally information is made public only after the justice system has made its decisions.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
None of whom are responsible for reporting to the public, which was your contention, wasn't it? "Why aren't these things being reported accurately?"
No, that wasn't my contention. I said journalists shouldn't be the first place to deal with corruption in police forces as Dreiko states.

But, now that you say it like this, failures should definitely be made public. Anything else is corruption.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
So apparently there was no "no knock warrant" situation, the cops were knocking but they didn't answer the door and when they eventually broke down the door the guy shot the cop in the leg first and then the cops started shooting.
The cops applied for a no knock warrant, and one was issued. However, in the end the cops were given orders to announce their presence and the warrant was not actually served. They have claimed that they did announce themselves, and the claim has been corroborated by a single witness. However, eleven witnesses have denied this claim and stated that the cops simply broke down the door without knocking or announcing themselves, consistent with a no knock raid.

Additionally, Kenneth Walker called 911 during the incident to report that his home was being broken into and that his girlfriend had been shot, strongly indicating that he was unaware the people breaking into his home were police. Kenneth Walker also claimed that Breona Taylor repeatedly shouted at the intruders to identify themselves as they broke down the door, but received no response. Criminal charges against Walker have currently been dismissed.

There are so many things obviously, obviously wrong with this case.

Last edited:

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
That sounds like a path towards Secret Police disappearing people in the night. My probably naïve thinking is that some of the hallmarks of justice is supposed to be that it is done openly and honestly.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Welp, seems people have decided to start shooting at the cops. I remain steadfast in my opposition to guns at protests, but this is very much a predictable reversal of the normal “what did you think would happen” justification of police violence.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Welp, seems people have decided to start shooting at the cops. I remain steadfast in my opposition to guns at protests, but this is very much a predictable reversal of the normal “what did you think would happen” justification of police violence.
I guess all lives really don't matter

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
And a person was indicted as a consequence. Justice is being done, isn't it?
The only person charged is getting charged for the stray fire into other apartments. Not a single charge for anything that happened to anyone actually inside the apartment.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The only person charged is getting charged for the stray fire into other apartments. Not a single charge for anything that happened to anyone actually inside the apartment.
No. It's worse than that. They weren't allowed to bring up Taylor or any of the shots that went near her. This was never about Taylor

I believe we call that a kangaroo court

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
And a person was indicted as a consequence. Justice is being done, isn't it?
dont think of it so negatively, think of it as living up to the Declaration of Independence. Remember the whole "sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." as one of the reason for rebelling?

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
The cops applied for a no knock warrant, and one was issued. However, in the end the cops were given orders to announce their presence and the warrant was not actually served. They have claimed that they did announce themselves, and the claim has been corroborated by a single witness. However, eleven witnesses have denied this claim and stated that the cops simply broke down the door without knocking or announcing themselves, consistent with a no knock raid.

Additionally, Kenneth Walker called 911 during the incident to report that his home was being broken into and that his girlfriend had been shot, strongly indicating that he was unaware the people breaking into his home were police. Kenneth Walker also claimed that Breona Taylor repeatedly shouted at the intruders to identify themselves as they broke down the door, but received no response. Criminal charges against Walker have currently been dismissed.

There are so many things obviously, obviously wrong with this case.
Assuming (and at this point this is a huge assumption) that the bit about them being in civilian clothing at the time of the raid being true, I can see why he'd think some random criminals were breaking into his door, since from what I heard he was apparently fearful his GF's drug-dealing-ex (the one the warrant was apparently about) was the one knocking/breaking his door.

Also, on that point, if the guy's first thought of who it might be knocking is the guy the warrant was actually for, all that noise about the warrant being served in the wrong place I think is at the very least suspect, or at least Taylor's actions indicate as much. I don't think it's a stretch to have someone casing the joint and see some random black dude enter the house at night and assume it was the drug dealer and not the new BF.