Brian Fargo Kickstarting a New Wasteland

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Brian Fargo Kickstarting a New Wasteland

Brian Fargo will launch a Kickstarter of his own next month to fund the sequel to the classic Fallout precursor Wasteland.

Back in 1988, when Interplay was still a heavy hitter, Brian Fargo headed the development of a post-apocalyptic RPG for the Commodore 64, Apple II and IBM PC called Wasteland. The name doesn't carry much weight these days but it's more significant than most people realize: Interplay didn't have the rights to Wasteland when it came time for another foray into the PA genre, so it created the legendary Fallout instead.

But Fargo recently reacquired the rights to the franchise and now, taking a page from IGN [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115808-Tim-Schafer-Thought-Hed-Get-Two-Grand-Not-2-Million], but once the idea was planted it didn't take him long to decide to run with it.

He's not sure yet whether the new game will be called Wasteland 2 but it will be "100 percent faithful to its roots" no matter what it's called. That means a game that's "top-down, probably isometric, party-based, skill-based - where if you'd just finished playing Wasteland and moved on to this, you'd feel comfortable." It will be a PC game first and foremost, he added, with a possible iOS version as well.

The great thing about Kickstarter, he said, is that "this process means we don't have to do it like the publisher wants." Fans don't have to worry that the old-school gameplay will be watered down for mainstream audiences because the freedom of fan funding means that development can be "more like the old days... totally creative."

"I want fans to know that a new Wasteland would be complete old school vibe and made with input from gamers," he wrote on Twitter. "Made the gamers way."

Fargo estimates it'll take about $1 million to bring the Wasteland sequel to life. He plans to launch the Kickstarter next month.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"more like the old days... totally creative."
Yeah if this article is anything to go by, I wouldn't call basically remaking your old game that creative. I mean good heavens guys it's been 24 years, there's a wealth of new technology available, and not having to bow to the wishes of stock holders means you can do all kinds of radical things and get really creative. Almost remaking the old game is just fan-wanking if you ask me.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
yesss YESSS

more kickstarters please.

it's like kicking publishers in the balllzz

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Since Kickstarters are in vogue I'll throw my hat into the ring and state I'm starting a kickstarter to fund my future kickstarters, basically to fund a dedicated team to oversee all my kickstarters, since I have growth in mind I could actually put it forward to investors after. And if I have enough backers then the funniest guy here gets to be CEO, foolproof.

On a serious note, wasteland, on tablet devices (come on, no love for the Playbook?) and smartphones, hell yeah, but I wouldn't donate to a kickstarter.

I wonder if all this Kickstarter success is giving Bobbi Kotick some wet dreams ideas?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Wasn't this game made a few years back already...and called Fallout: Tactics?

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Ladies and Gentlemen, raise your glasses please ; the toast is, "The Future".

We are witnessing (admittedly on a small scale) our medium moving out from the shadow of investors and businessmen, people with no love or understanding of our medium, and the reigns being handed back to the rightful owners - gamers ourselves.

Do I hate all publishers? No, not really. Do I think that the industry can now survive without them entirely? No, we still need their money to keep the wheels turning.

However, I believe that they are responsible for a lot of things wrong with gaming. Sequels released that shouldn't have been, sequels unreleased that should have been, "dumbing down" (a complex issue that cannot be summed up in two words, so don't quote me on that) of intelligent games, fucking DRM, product and movie tie-in games, a general lack of niche games and a tendency to make "safe" clones of Call of Duty, no seriously, fucking DRM.

Power to the people et cetera, et cetera.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Cowabungaa said:
Andy Chalk said:
"more like the old days... totally creative."
Yeah if this article is anything to go by, I wouldn't call basically remaking your old game that creative. I mean good heavens guys it's been 24 years, there's a wealth of new technology available, and not having to bow to the wishes of stock holders means you can do all kinds of radical things and get really creative. Almost remaking the old game is just fan-wanking if you ask me.
Much like Double Fine's adventure game, publishers are convinced that isometric RPGs aren't worth making these days. So yes, it will be based on a proven game-type... but one that hasn't been seen in ages. This allows for the opportunity to make the game as difficult with as many mechanics as the developer sees fit with no sacrifices made to appease the crowd.

In that sense it can be creative. Not to mention, this is the type of game today's teenagers probably have no experience with, at all. If game developers were to make games based on the "wealth of new technology available" every game would simply be an FPS, pretty graphics, wankfest, no creativity there.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Octorok said:

We are witnessing (admittedly on a small scale) our medium moving out from the shadow of investors and businessmen, people with no love or understanding of our medium, and the reigns being handed back to the rightful owners - gamers ourselves.

Do I hate all publishers? No, not really. Do I think that the industry can now survive without them entirely? No, we still need their money to keep the wheels turning.

However, I believe that they are responsible for a lot of things wrong with gaming. Sequels released that shouldn't have been, sequels unreleased that should have been, "dumbing down" (a complex issue that cannot be summed up in two words, so don't quote me on that) of intelligent games, fucking DRM, product and movie tie-in games, a general lack of niche games and a tendency to make "safe" clones of Call of Duty, no seriously, fucking DRM.

Needs a very british pic to go with this statement, just to make it all the better.

*Edit*

Lets try this,

Octorok

May 28, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Octorok said:

Needs a very british pic to go with this statement, just to make it all the better.

*Edit*

Lets try this,

I'm happy that my Britishness comes across in my posts.

Seriously, we are entering a new era in gaming history. Firaxis are making a real X-COM game and an excellent-sounding Civ V expansion, Double Fine is making a point-and-click adventure game, and for the first time in a while, a proper old-school isometric RPG will be created.

This is going to be great year, friends. I can tell because my captcha said "Years' excellence". How fitting.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
mindlesspuppet said:
If game developers were to make games based on the "wealth of new technology available" every game would simply be an FPS, pretty graphics, wankfest, no creativity there.
Such utter nonsense that is. Don't blame the tools for what the wielders do with them.

Thing is, this isn't pushing the industry forward, and that disappoints me as someone who wants to get into the industry himself. This just seems like putting old wine into new bags. Great for the fans no doubt, but other than that, meh.

I mean, as I've already said, now that they're free from the bonds of a publisher, why not do something truly creative and revitalize the series in a fantastically new and truly creative way? Why stick with fan service?

Also, I'd say Bastion proved that isometric RPG's are very much still viable.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Cowabungaa said:
mindlesspuppet said:
If game developers were to make games based on the "wealth of new technology available" every game would simply be an FPS, pretty graphics, wankfest, no creativity there.
Such utter nonsense that is. Don't blame the tools for what the wielders do with them.

Thing is, this isn't pushing the industry forward, and that disappoints me as someone who wants to get into the industry himself. This just seems like putting old wine into new bags. Great for the fans no doubt, but other than that, meh.

I mean, as I've already said, now that they're free from the bonds of a publisher, why not do something truly creative and revitalize the series in a fantastically new and truly creative way? Why stick with fan service?

Also, I'd say Bastion proved that isometric RPG's are very much still viable.
How would making games that target specific groups rather than the broadest possible audience not "pushing the industry forward"? How is returning to games with depth and complexity not "pushing the industry forward"?

Gaming has taken a step backwards in recent years as a result of publishers trying to reach the largest possible market. Games that require thought and skill are few and far between these days.

If you've got "truly creative" ideas and want to get in the industry, then make them yourself.

Also, I'd say if you think Bastion is a good example of an isometric RPG then you most definitely have little to no experience with the genre.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
mindlesspuppet said:
How would making games that target specific groups rather than the broadest possible audience not "pushing the industry forward"? How is returning to games with depth and complexity not "pushing the industry forward"?

Gaming has taken a step backwards in recent years as a result of publishers trying to reach the largest possible market. Games that require thought and skill are few and far between these days.
Sure, but all that has nothing to do with my argument and with what I'm saying. You're firing at a different target here.

Once again; going by his description, this'll be old wine in new bags. Not a creative and fresh reboot of an old series. That's what I'm saying. And what I'm also saying is that it's a wasted opportunity, as not having a publisher loom over you gives you room to do all sorts of new things. But they won't, they're playing it safe. That is, going by this article.

As for depth and complexity not being present in modern games, that's a gross and flawed generalization. There's more out there than just your average, simple Call of Duty. Not to mention that plenty of that 'complexity' in old games came from clunky game design.
Also, I'd say if you think Bastion is a good example of an isometric RPG then you most definitely have little to no experience with the genre.
It was hack&slash, but isometric nonetheless, showing that particular technique not being dead yet. And I have plenty of experience with the genre thank you very much. I'm quite the Arcanum fan, despite my save being fucked up, and I adore the first two Fallout's. That and more, of course, though I still have to play Baldur's Gate.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
I'm quite the Arcanum fan, despite my save being fucked up, and I adore the first two Fallout's.
I greet you, fellow Arcanum fan. We're really a rare breed nowadays, sadly.

OT: As for my thoughts about Wasteland 2...

Feb 13, 2008
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

*runs around screaming*

Oh man, that was SO good.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Sounds interesting. Glad this kickstarter thing is really catching on. It means we can avoid greedy ass publishers altogether AND get a deep game all in one. It's about time we start seeing some more classic style rpgs getting released.