Bridesmaids Director "In Talks" For Female-Led Reboot of Ghostbusters

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Bridesmaids Director "In Talks" For Female-Led Reboot of Ghostbusters

I ain't afraid of no... girls?

It made the rounds earlier in the day that Paul Feig, director of the hit comedy Bridesmaids, may have become the surprise frontrunner to direct the endlessly in-production Ghostbusters 3 for Sony. But now Variety and other industry sources are reporting that the project is something else entirely: A reboot of the franchise with a new all-female Ghostbusting team.

While the project is described as "in talks" and no formal deals or official statements are in place, Variety's sources say that it will not be a reworking of the once-planned second sequel but based on a new script written from scratch presumably by Feig himself and his associates. No casting has been named, but you don't have to be Egon Spengler to intuit that the studio would hope for Feig's in-demand frequent collaborator Melissa McCarthy to be part of the deal; given the massive box-office take of their previous team-ups Bridesmaids and The Heat (a third Feig/McCarthy vehicle, the secret-agent spoof Spy, is currently in production.)

Originally released in 1984, Ghostbusters was a high-concept comedy about a team of paranormal-investigators seeking a way to expel supernatural intrusions using science and technology rather than spiritual exorcism. They set up shop in New York City as, essentially, "ghost exterminators," only to find themselves facing the minions of an ancient Babylonian demon-god seeking a return to Earth. Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, the late Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson originally starred.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/paul-feig-ghostbusters-comedy-reboot-1201274332/]

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
A Ghostbusters Extreme movie would have much more meaning than this weird spinoff reboot...

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
I could see a Tina Fey/ Amy Pohler/ Melissa McCarthy/ Kirsten Wiig Ghostbusters working out pretty well.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
An all-female reboot of a beloved 80s franchise one of the creators of which has recently passed away.

Yeah, I don't see anyone getting upset over this at all.

Bonecrusher said:
A Ghostbusters Extreme movie would have much more meaning than this weird spinoff reboot...
I second this.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
One thing is an all-female Ghostbusters squad, and another thing is using that as an excuse for a reboot of the series.

Heck, they could have pitched that idea as Ghostbusters 3 without needlessly canning the original two first films *facedesks*

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
AJ_Lethal said:
One thing is an all-female Ghostbusters squad, and another thing is using that as an excuse for a reboot of the series.

Heck, they could have pitched that idea as Ghostbusters 3 without needlessly canning the original two first films *facedesks*
Why not just have them branch out? LA has an all girl branch as a freaky coincidence.

Ghosts can't just inhabit NYC

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
RaikuFA said:
AJ_Lethal said:

Why not just have them branch out? LA has an all girl branch as a freaky coincidence.

Or that too.

Fucking Hollywood and it's reboot fetish.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Seems like a fun idea. The all-male team was enjoyable, why not give the women a shot at it?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
RaikuFA said:
AJ_Lethal said:

Or even just the Ghostbusters made their business into a chain that now has groups in other cities. The big problem was that, as hard as they tried to make the events in Ghostbusters 2 bigger, they made it something smaller. If they branched out into other cities, that would increase the scale of the threat ghosts are posing without needing to try and make a bigger enemy than Goser, because it would show things happening on a broader scale.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
As weird as it sounds, I am actually WAY more okay with this than I am with trying to make an actual sequel without Harold Ramis.

Sad as it is to say, a live-action version of the old Ghostbusters is never gonna happen. Not anymore. Cause if they even ATTEMPTED it without Egon, it wouldn't feel right at all.

At least with a new team in a new continuity, none of that matters anymore. If it looks good, I'll be all over this.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Eh it can work but now you have the impossible task of finding four, not one, two or three. FOUR female leads that can both act and be funny at the same time. It's just not done. The last time I laughed at a female comic was when she had a wardrobe malfunction and I thought I was getting food. I was 4 months old.

Joking aside I just don't see it working with four women.

The problem besides that though is the whole reboot thing. Why reboot it? Why not just build on the previous movies? Ghostbusters Inc. could have branches and the people above me have already pointed this out a thousand times.

This quite frankly is nothing but a cash grab. "Hey it's been 30 years right? Shouldn't we remake the movie see if we can grab a new audience rather than the one that is still alive and kicking?"

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
I think this will just be kinda shit and lame, all girl reboot whooo. It just seems like the IN thing to do right now. I say use the idea as said above of other cities havin teams, i mean after gozer they prob are alot more busy now and in the 2nd film etc maybe take time since the last film into account, the ghost busters are old now, they have kids familys, an good friend and died use it. Or maybe even have the old guys pass on the torch to their kids or other ppl, then you have a reboot point there if they want.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I think this sounds fun. I'm confident the movie will be shit however. Not because of an all female team, but just because hollywood is awful at reboots.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
my interest has just gone from -2 to 10

AJ_Lethal said:
because one of them is dead and they're past it by this point....

Kuredan said:
I could see a Tina Fey/ Amy Pohler/ Melissa McCarthy/ Kirsten Wiig Ghostbusters working out pretty well.
for some reason I can see Sandra Bullock being in there too (for better or worse)

1337mokro said:
Eh it can work but now you have the impossible task of finding four, not one, two or three. FOUR female leads that can both act and be funny at the same time. It's just not done. The last time I laughed at a female comic was when she had a wardrobe malfunction and I thought I was getting food. I was 4 months old.
"
this myth really needs to fucking die

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Why would it need to be rebooted?

Just have the Ghostbusters finally franchising the business (you know, like Venkman mentioned in the first movie) and have a nice cameo from Akyroyd to sent them off on their merry way or something like that.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Well it could work just wish it wasn't the bridesmaid director because I thought that was a complete piece of shit.

But its a better concept then what usually happens with reboots.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
AstaresPanda said:
It just seems like the IN thing to do right now.
See, it's really not, though. It's becoming increasingly popular for some people to (rightfully) complain about lack of female representation online, but that only seems like a roar when compared to the silence that came before it. Honestly, especially on sites like this, people who want this sort of thing tend to get shouted down.

And in Hollywood? When was the last time you saw a big-budget comedy with four female leads? How many big-budget movies do you see with four female leads, period?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Eh, to be honest I'd prefer a gender-swap over getting the original cast back together...namely because Harold Ramis is (sadly) no longer with us. That said, I'd really just as soon see the franchise be put to rest rather than dug up for a reboot. It most certainly will not be as good as the original. That's not nostalgia talking, that's simply the fact that no one would be able to match Ramis' writing talents.

So on the note of reboots...

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Rutskarn said:
AstaresPanda said:
It just seems like the IN thing to do right now.
See, it's really not, though. It's becoming increasingly popular for some people to (rightfully) complain about lack of female representation online, but that only seems like a roar when compared to the silence that came before it. Honestly, especially on sites like this, people who want this sort of thing tend to get shouted down.

And in Hollywood? When was the last time you saw a big-budget comedy with four female leads? How many big-budget movies do you see with four female leads, period?
im fine with it, just not with ghost busters tacked on it to boost sales. They wanna make a funny movie all female leads fine, call it somthing else.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I'm against this because I'm all for it!

Female Ghost Busters getting slimed!
Female Raymond sleeping with slime!
Hosing down the Statue Of Liberty & female Janosz with slime again!

I must say No because I really want to say Yes!