Bridesmaids Director "In Talks" For Female-Led Reboot of Ghostbusters

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Vault101 said:
1337mokro said:
Eh it can work but now you have the impossible task of finding four, not one, two or three. FOUR female leads that can both act and be funny at the same time. It's just not done. The last time I laughed at a female comic was when she had a wardrobe malfunction and I thought I was getting food. I was 4 months old.
"
this myth really needs to fucking die
Yeah, it does need to die in the sense of finding four "females" to work together. It should be finding four (or more potentially) actors that can work together will be the issue. More often than not, the movies I've seen where more than 3 actors are considered the main, it becomes an issue of finding out who will be the "lead" main and who will be the semi-main actors and how the group dynamics work. And it all also depends on how good the director is, how good the writers are, and how good the entire studio behind the movie, not just the actors. The few movies that did it with more than 3 actor leads (Harry Potter, Ghostbusters, LotR)? I bet that if at least one of the actors was different there would have been issues that may have negatively influenced the movies.

Now, the main issue is if a female lead Ghostbusters happens, will it pass the Bechtel Test? /s

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
I'm not bugged, that they're rebooting, I wouldn't be bugged that they're making ghostbusters women.

You can make a clever and funny sci-fi comedy with an all female cast, and you can reboot a beloved movie like Ghostbusters successfully even if you need to take it in a completely new direction to update it (Look at Evil Dead)

However, both of those facts together, makes the whole thing reek of stunt casting for the sake of creating controversy. Why don't people make movies for the sake of the movie and it's entertainment value, instead of just doing things to drum up watercooler talk. It does a disservice to the fans of the original movie by cheaping the original vision of the film, and it does a disservice to the women in the movie, by wasting their time and efforts making a movie where they have a legacy to "live up to" when they could be spending their time and originality making new movies and franchises that can become classics on their own merit.

Instead of making Mellissa McCarthy, the "Female Bill Murray", why don't we let her make a hillarious new supernatural comedy where she can create her own iconic characters. (Something I'm sure she can do given the chance, and a script that doesn't peg her as "annoying fat woman #5632" again)

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
It made the rounds earlier in the day that Paul Feig, director of the hit comedy Bridesmaids, may have become the surprise frontrunner to direct the endlessly in-production Ghostbusters 3 for Sony.
Um, okay? Not really sure how that'll work out but at least he has some degree of comedy pedigree, so it could work. I genuinely didn't like Bridesmaids but I at least recognized the comedic potential.

But now Variety and other industry sources are reporting that the project is something else entirely: A reboot of the franchise with a new all-female Ghostbusting team.
That....could actually work. I could easily go along with this, provided they get the script right. I kind of like this idea, especially now that Harold Ramis is gone. Certainly more than still attempting a third installment with the original cast.

So, yeah. I like this. A lot. I'm on board. Let's get this thing goi....

No casting has been named, but you don't have to be Egon Spengler to intuit that the studio would hope for Feig's in-demand frequent collaborator Melissa McCarthy to be part of the deal
Aaaaand I'm out. Fuck that.

Unless she can do something OTHER than loud-mouthed, obnoxious pain in the ass I really won't be able to watch this. At all.

There are far better options to fill the gender-swapped roles in this film.

Vault101 said:
for some reason I can see Sandra Bullock being in there too (for better or worse)
And even if it was for worse I'd still prefer her to Melissa McCarthy.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Vault101 said:
because one of them is dead and they're past it by this point...
Do we need all four of them? Extreme Ghostbusters only had one of them as an oldie, the rest were gone until the reunion episode. Why not have, say, Dan Aykroyd as the only one still doing the Ghostbuster shit (he was the one most interested in ghosts in the old ones anyway)?

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Eh, to be honest I'd prefer a gender-swap over getting the original cast back together...namely because Harold Ramis is (sadly) no longer with us. That said, I'd really just as soon see the franchise be put to rest rather than dug up for a reboot. It most certainly will not be as good as the original. That's not nostalgia talking, that's simply the fact that no one would be able to match Ramis' writing talents.

So on the note of reboots...

This is nostalgia talking!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
RatGouf said:
RJ 17 said:
Eh, to be honest I'd prefer a gender-swap over getting the original cast back together...namely because Harold Ramis is (sadly) no longer with us. That said, I'd really just as soon see the franchise be put to rest rather than dug up for a reboot. It most certainly will not be as good as the original. That's not nostalgia talking, that's simply the fact that no one would be able to match Ramis' writing talents.

So on the note of reboots...

This is nostalgia talking!
Such sagely advice...truly Jay Sherman was both a scholar and a prophet.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Vault101 said:
1337mokro said:
Eh it can work but now you have the impossible task of finding four, not one, two or three. FOUR female leads that can both act and be funny at the same time. It's just not done. The last time I laughed at a female comic was when she had a wardrobe malfunction and I thought I was getting food. I was 4 months old.
"
this myth really needs to fucking die
It will be as soon as you prove me wrong by showing me a movie with 4 female comedians in it that make me laugh. Doesn't even have to be 4 comedians that are women. Just four women that all star as the leading roles and is funny. Can't be 4 women are in the movie and some other guys starring as well who are there to provide the actual humour. Can't be a movie that "critics" thought was funny. I have to actually laugh.

4 women. All leading roles. Funny to me.

3 conditions on which this "myth" will die. Until then it will be as hard a fact as Daniel Tosh sucks ass. Which if you have had the misfortune of watching his show is almost terrifyingly hard...

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
1337mokro said:
Ah, come on, that's a bit of a steep order, at least ammend some guy providing the humor to "Some guy provides humor as well, but is ultimately a background character"

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
1337mokro said:
I don't really watch comedies, at all, so please refer me to a comedy with four male leads that would make me laugh. Because I can't think of any.

Ghostbusters doesn't count for obvious reasons.

Also frankly your attitude is just pretty sexist. This idea can't work because female actors aren't funny? Pretty cut and dry sexism. And don't say that isn't what you were saying, because there's really no other way to read your attitude other than that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hasn't this already been debunked?

AstaresPanda said:
It just seems like the IN thing to do right now.
A handful of parts have shifted to women. If that's what qualifies as "in" now, then yes.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I do like the idea some people are championing here of having the female ghostbusters be a new branch outside of NY for a bit of continuity but well let's see where this goes...

Personally I think the problem is less "can women be funny?" and more "who can be the female Bill Murray?"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RealRT said:
Do we need all four of them? Extreme Ghostbusters only had one of them as an oldie, the rest were gone until the reunion episode. Why not have, say, Dan Aykroyd as the only one still doing the Ghostbuster shit (he was the one most interested in ghosts in the old ones anyway)?
Egon would be the most sensible choice for the reasons that he ended up being the one "oldie" in Extreme.

Though it could work with any of them.

Even then, I'm not sure they should bother. It's not going to be like it was. Trying to tie it to the old movies seems like a waste. Why not just enjoy the first two as they are, and take a potential new movie on its own merits (or lack of therein)?

Reboots can be stupid. Rebooting something from 5 years ago? I get that. Constant origin stories? Also get it. A series that last saw a silver screen release in 1989? I think we can let it go at this point. Especially since it almost certainly won't be the same beast as before.

erttheking said:
Perhaps I missed something, but what are the obvious reasons?

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Well, if the original crew can't get back together, a new crew may as well be used. I just hope they don't try for dark and gritty, and maintain the humor of the originals.

I'm not against the idea, I just hope it turns out well.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
erttheking said:
1337mokro said:
I don't really watch comedies, at all, so please refer me to a comedy with four male leads that would make me laugh. Because I can't think of any.

Also frankly your attitude is just pretty sexist. This idea can't work because female actors aren't funny? Pretty cut and dry sexism. And don't say that isn't what you were saying, because there's really no other way to read your attitude other than that.
Ghostbusters doesn't count because it's the instant game over for you. How about you don't make up silly rules like "This movie that was funny and that we are now talking about won't be funny with four women leading it, that one doesn't count as an example of how four women can't make a funny movie."

Sure then let's see... Ghostbusters 2? Didn't see that coming did you? But sure I'll humour your little cop out clause.

Anchorman. 4 male leads, there's a woman there but you didn't say there couldn't also be a woman.

What's that? I'm cheating? You want a funny movie without any women involved in the lead? Have some Monthy Python! Any of his movies really. Meaning of Life is one where there's 5 funny guys who are in the lead.

Try Four Lions, funny terrorist movie. See that? With the right leads people trying to commit terrorism is funny!

There's literally DOZENS more with 3 guys, 4 is hard because 4 people rarely lead a movie. Poster space you see.

With 3 guys, no women in the lead roles.

You have Hot Fuzz, The Hang Over, Three Stooges, Basically most of Eddy Murphy's work has 3 leads, Blues Brothers, The Ladykillers, Napoleon Dynamite, Three Amigos, The Odd Couple, ETC!

It literally goes ON AND ON AND ON! I could even go into cartoons where 3 men are the leads and the movie is still funny! Heck I don't even fucking LIKE some of these movies but I acknowledge they have some funny jokes in them.

What's on the female side? Bridesmaids? All about Steve? Why don't you just be kind and punch me in the face instead, the pain might actually make me laugh more than that disaster.

I am only sexist when I am factually correct. Which is what sexism is nowadays. When I say something about women that is true, but they don't want to hear it. So yes I am incredibly sexist because I say allot of true things that women don't want to hear.

Example 1:

"Honey don't try to fix that on your own. You don't know how to do that."

"What are you calling me stupid? I don't know how to fix a light fixture? Oh I'm just a woman and I can't do" ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAP! "OMG baby that hurt so bad! Why did it do that!?"

"Don't go asking me why you got electrocuted by a light fixture when you jam your fingers in there. I told you not to touch it because you aren't a fucking electrician. Move aside and let me fix what I know how to fix"

Example 2:

"Sweetie wait for me to help you with that dresser, the thing is heavy, it's going break when you lift it up."

"Oh so you think I can't do this on my own. I need a big strong man to help me" CRACK! "OMG I'm so sorry baby the thing just broke when I..."

"Shut your mouth and get the damned car keys. When we get to IKEA you shut up and let me do the talking and god help you if you start mouthing off about how I'm silencing your voice. I am not spending money on a second dresser because you just had to be independent from gravity."

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
1337mokro said:
It will be as soon as you prove me wrong by showing me a movie with 4 female comedians in it that make me laugh. Doesn't even have to be 4 comedians that are women. Just four women that all star as the leading roles and is funny. Can't be 4 women are in the movie and some other guys starring as well who are there to provide the actual humour. Can't be a movie that "critics" thought was funny. I have to actually laugh.
the problem with "can woman be funny" is its not only false but its a bullshit double standard/self fulfilling prophecy, I mean for fucks sake has Adam Sandler been funny in a long time? has rob Schider EVER been funny? a lot of comedies as just as dumb as the next one

for a straight up full on comedy staring women I'd have to go with Bridesmaids...

Orange is the New Black could probably count too as its full of hilarious parts (and a cast almost entirely of women)

1337mokro said:
Example 1:

"What are you calling me stupid? I don't know how to fix a light fixture? Oh I'm just a woman and I can't do" ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAP! "OMG baby that hurt so bad! Why did it do that!?"

"Don't go asking me why you got electrocuted by a light fixture when you jam your fingers in there. I told you not to touch it because you aren't a fucking electrician. Move aside and let me fix what I know how to fix"

Example 2:

"Sweetie wait for me to help you with that dresser, the thing is heavy, it's going break when you lift it up."

"Oh so you think I can't do this on my own. I need a big strong man to help me" CRACK! "OMG I'm so sorry baby the thing just broke when I..."

"Shut your mouth and get the damned car keys. When we get to IKEA you shut up and let me do the talking and god help you if you start mouthing off about how I'm silencing your voice. I am not spending money on a second dresser because you just had to be independent from gravity."
0_0.....so uh.....youre divorced right?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Vault101 said:
1337mokro said:
the problem with "can woman be funny" is its not only false but its a bullshit double standard/self fulfilling prophecy, I mean for fucks sake has Adam Sandler been funny in a long time? has rob Schider EVER been funny? a lot of comedies as just as dumb as the next one

for a straight up full on comedy staring women I'd have to go with Bridesmaids...

Orange is the New Black could probably count too as its full of hilarious parts (and a cast almost entirely of women)
Saying that some men are has been comics or were never funny is like saying that a you can't say that goldfish are stupid because rocks can't think.

Because some men are horrible comedians doesn't mean all of them are. The same way I am not saying women CAN'T be funny. I just have never met a woman that made me laugh when telling a joke of her own. Most of the time I'm waiting for them to finish the dozen tangents in their stories before they get to the punchline I guessed half way through the story about the woman she hates so much at the office.

Orange is the New Black is retarded. Quite frankly if I wanted to watch stupid people be stupid I'd watch a Happy Madison productions movie. I dropped that show the second I realized that people were watching it for the soft core lesbian scenes and not for the quality.

Also OITNB doesn't count because there's literally TWO male leads, and several more of them playing the straight man/comedic foil. What do you think Adam Sandler lookalike Jason Biggs is doing in that show? He's a main character! When one of the men gets an intro credit it's no longer a supporting role, they are trying to sell the show to you with that character.

Also who is Rob Schider? You meant Schneider?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
1337mokro said:
erttheking said:
1337mokro said:

Ghostbusters doesn't count because it's the instant game over for you. How about you don't make up silly rules like "This movie that was funny and that we are now talking about won't be funny with four women leading it, that one doesn't count as an example of how four women can't make a funny movie."

Sure then let's see... Ghostbusters 2? Didn't see that coming did you? But sure I'll humour your little cop out clause.

Anchorman. 4 male leads, there's a woman there but you didn't say there couldn't also be a woman.

What's that? I'm cheating? You want a funny movie without any women involved in the lead? Have some Monthy Python! Any of his movies really. Meaning of Life is one where there's 5 funny guys who are in the lead.

Try Four Lions, funny terrorist movie. See that? With the right leads people trying to commit terrorism is funny!

There's literally DOZENS more with 3 guys, 4 is hard because 4 people rarely lead a movie. Poster space you see.

With 3 guys, no women in the lead roles.

You have Hot Fuzz, The Hang Over, Three Stooges, Basically most of Eddy Murphy's work has 3 leads, Blues Brothers, The Ladykillers, Napoleon Dynamite, Three Amigos, The Odd Couple, ETC!

It literally goes ON AND ON AND ON! I could even go into cartoons where 3 men are the leads and the movie is still funny! Heck I don't even fucking LIKE some of these movies but I acknowledge they have some funny jokes in them.

What's on the female side? Bridesmaids? All about Steve? Why don't you just be kind and punch me in the face instead, the pain might actually make me laugh more than that disaster.

I am only sexist when I am factually correct. Which is what sexism is nowadays. When I say something about women that is true, but they don't want to hear it. So yes I am incredibly sexist because I say allot of true things that women don't want to hear.

Example 1:

Example 2:

It doesn't count because you're dismissing this new one as not being able to work without knowing the first thing about it despite the fact that the roles will be female. If you can dismiss thing without any foundation for them, me doing the same is the only way to make it fair.

Funny. I was under the impression more than a few people hated Ghostbusters 2. Overall the popular opinion is that it's a poor follow up to the second one.

Anchorman. Has Will Ferrel in it. Disqualified automatically because what that man does can't really be described as comedy. Also you said in your terms that YOU had to find them funny. I don't find Will Ferrel funny. Therefore it doesn't count by your own logic.

Monty Python. I find their humor to be a little too dry for my taste. Got all the way through Life of Brian and I can count the number of times they made me laugh on my fingers. It got REALLY boring towards the end.

And you go on for about three male leads for a bit, not really relevant so not much to say.

So? Does them being female mean that the movie sucked? Because correlation does not equal causation. It's like arguing it was bad because it started with the letter B. Just as logical as saying because it was a woman.

....Facts? You're bringing facts into this? You don't think bridesmaid was funny, so therefore you're saying it's factual that women can't do a 4 team funny performance? This is not objective in anyway. Just because you think you're right, doesn't MAKE you right. And those examples have what to do with anything? Frankly it sounds like you get easily aggravated when people don't automatically do everything you say. So don't go passing off what you say as "fact".

DArkAbyssKeeper

Dec 16, 2008
Those examples are of a specific person attempting to do things beyond their ability and when you tell them they can't, they (fairly, based on what we've seen from you) assume you're just being sexist. The fact that it turns out you're right in those cases has nothing to do with your opinions on women being 'factually correct' and everything to do with those situations being filtered through your misogynistic mindset. (Also, you're reaction to someone making a simple mistake is 'shut your mouth and get the damned car keys.' You sound like a delight.)

Guess what? With Hollywood and basically other media making force in the world having been pretty solidly male lead and all female input having been minimised and over-looked you ARE going to have trouble finding your '4 women, funny to you, no guys' film. That's not because it can't work; its because no-one has really tried. And no-one has really tried partly because of the frankly stupid 'women aren't funny' myth and partly because people like you scream every time the idea is presented that it's too much of a risk and it will ruin things.

OT: I could totally get behind an all female ghosbusters team. I'm a little sick of NYC and constant reboots, though.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ok I'm not totally against the idea of a reboot as that be better than trying to cobble together another sequel after 30 years. However why does it have to be an all-female team as opposed to a mix of both male and female. Why does Hollywood have to be either all of one or all of another?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
1337mokro said:
Vault101 said:
1337mokro said:

Saying that some men are has been comics or were never funny is like saying that a you can't say that goldfish are stupid because rocks can't think.

Because some men are horrible comedians doesn't mean all of them are. The same way I am not saying women CAN'T be funny. I just have never met a woman that made me laugh when telling a joke of her own. Most of the time I'm waiting for them to finish the dozen tangents in their stories before they get to the punchline I guessed half way through the story about the woman she hates so much at the office.

Orange is the New Black is retarded. Quite frankly if I wanted to watch stupid people be stupid I'd watch a Happy Madison productions movie. I dropped that show the second I realized that people were watching it for the soft core lesbian scenes and not for the quality.

Also OITNB doesn't count because there's literally TWO male leads, and several more of them playing the straight man/comedic foil. What do you think Adam Sandler lookalike Jason Biggs is doing in that show? He's a main character! When one of the men gets an intro credit it's no longer a supporting role, they are trying to sell the show to you with that character.

Also who is Rob Schider? You meant Schneider?
That statement was "I'm not saying women can't be funny, I'm just saying they're not". It'd be like saying "I'm not saying all blacks are gangsters, I just haven't met one who isn't" You're making massive leaps based on stereotypes. And if not all men are horrible comedians because of a few bad apples how come women don't get the same special treatment. And you seem to be indulging in an awful lot of stereotypes.

So in addition to being biased against women you also insult the mentally disabled. Hardly what I'd call charming. Also that is a poor criticism. You just can't say something is x without explaining it and expect it to qualify as criticism. They act stupid? How. The only people I can remember acting stupid were the ones who were supposed to actually be stupid, having it be part of their character. And again you make assumptions. I'm on the second season and I enjoy the characters. Not the lesbian scenes. Then again it sounds like you didn't even get that far, so it sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

Charlie? The guy that barely gets any screen time? I'm not exactly blown away by that. And who's the other one? Healy? The guy who gets even LESS screen time than Charlie? If that's the case then Ghostbusters counts as having a female lead considering Danna gets just as much screen time.

She misspells things. It's not a big deal.