Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Cuz family!/s

In all seriousness, plenty of movie critics have called them out on this, but many fans and casual audiences don't care to listen. Ironic enough, there was a bit of backlash with 9 on the audience's part. The majority of critics actually enjoyed part 9. Not to mention, most critics didn't have a problem with part 5 or part 7. 7 seven is a bit more understandable though.
See, I don't have the time (or care factor) to get as granular as assigning merit to the individual films like that, let alone what care critics think. Once you hit a 4th installment, it's apparent you're cashing in on name recognition and just doing it because people will pay to see more. Which I suppose is a sound business model; I mean, why stop when the audience won't, right? But it just harkens back to the collective complacency of said audience. Work smarter, not harder: why try when they don't expect us to? (Looking at you, Matrix 4...)

And this is coming from a massive fan of Ocean's 11. I LOVE the first movie. Then Ocean's 12 came out came out, and I was "oh, okay; could be pretty fun." Then Ocean's 13, and I was "... okay, let's not get too ahead of ourselves; you've already made some solid flicks with solid endings." Then Ocean's 8 came out which I couldn't be bothered to watch because clearly they were cashing in. I think I might have watched it in a drunken stupor, but nothing about it was memorable enough to bother using valuable memory space in my noggin.

TL;DR? If you can't get through a story in 3 films or less, you're not making a story; you're just trying to make money, and I have more self-respect than that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Then Ocean's 8 came out which I couldn't be bothered to watch because clearly they were cashing in. I think I might have watched it in a drunken stupor, but nothing about it was memorable enough to bother using valuable memory space in my noggin.
Funny enough, my family and I all enjoyed Ocean's 8. Then again, I've only seen the first movie once and that's it. I never watched the other sequels. Both of my parents are big Sandra Bullock fans. My mom especially. I thought it was fine.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Funny enough, my family and I all enjoyed Ocean's 8. Then again, I've only seen the first movie once and that's it. I never watched the other sequels. Both of my parents are big Sandra Bullock fans. My mom especially. I thought it was fine.
Which is all perfectly fine. But 11 was a fine film that didn't need sequels, and both 12 and 13 (I don't consider 8 a sequel) were serviceable enough to the original (which I know was itself a remake of a film done by the Rat Pack in the '60s) that a fourth installment "but with WOMEN!" just felt like they were doing it for doing its $ake.

That said, it wouldn't hurt you to watch 12 and 13 if you enjoyed 8. 12 is very much entertaining (the laser field scene is everyone's favorite,) and 13 is a satisfying revenge comedy that adds Pacino to the all-star casting that hung around for all 3 films. Danny and Rusty will forever be one of my favorite on-screen duos ever.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
There's a lot to be said for a big dumb action franchise remaining a big dumb action franchise without disappearing up it's own butt.

I think it's because it hasn't pivoted to Obvious Propoganda the way others tend to
What?

Anyway I made a facetious remark elsewhere about them going to space but it was then pointed out to me - as @Xprimentyl said - the fuckers have already been to space. I was genuinely shocked because that idea had been a running joke about the franchise’s almost Shonen-like escalation of its own absurdity. And then they went and actually did it. So I don’t know, at this point all I can say to these films is Godspeed you mad bastards.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
...at this point all I can say to these films is Godspeed you mad bastards.
That's where I'm at. No interest in watching another film (I stopped at 2 or 3,) but if people are willing to drink the Kool-Aid and keep giving them money, well, let's just say there are mega-churches that are getting away with a lot worse. Maybe around Fast and Furious 20: Give Us Cash and FUCK YOU, people might catch on, and Vin Diesel, in his 80s, will retire comfortably.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I guess after Carol Danvers stole that motorbike, it was only a matter of time before she graduated to car crime.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Is no one going to post the incredibly cringey Instagram post Vin Diesel had about her casting?

Fine, I'll do it myself.

1649922283415.png

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
He’s laying it on a little thick but it’s just dorky and doofy enough that I’d believe he’s being genuine until evidence to the contrary is presented.
Oh I'm sure he's genuine, which is I think is even weirder. What kind of person refers to the Fast franchise as a "mythology"?

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I do not like Brie larson. I do not like Fast & Furious. All was right with the world and I lived happily ever after.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is no one going to post the incredibly cringey Instagram post Vin Diesel had about her casting?

Fine, I'll do it myself.

View attachment 5897
I didn't post it, because I didn't know about it, don't care about it and I don't use Instagram. I like Vin, not that much. Larson I am neutral on, but really have nothing against her.

Oh I'm sure he's genuine, which is I think is even weirder. What kind of person refers to the Fast franchise as a "mythology"?
One that only watches one or two types of movie a year, while pretending to be coming off as cultured, yet will hate/look down upon on anything that is "academic" or "forces you to think". A God damn philistine!

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I think we're missing the bigger picture: there's going to be another Fast and Furious movie? They've gone to space; what else can they possibly do that anyone could possibly give a fuck about? Geezus, Hollywood; can you at least pretend to respect our intelligence?
Oh come on you know the answer to that.

TIME.

It'll be "FastTen your Seatbelts : The Last second to finish"