Brie Larson joining cast of Fast & Furious 10

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
The Fast & Furious franchise has a surprising legacy of superheroes being in their films, whether that’s Vin Diesel as Groot, or the more recent addition of John “Peacemaker” Cena that came with last year’s F9. (This is to say nothing of the real superhero in the cast, which is Tyrese Gibson as a cop in Morbius.) Next year’s Fast 10 is bringing Aquaman into the fold, and now it’s been announced that the franchise is gaining another superhero actor in the form of Captain Marvel herself, Brie Larson.

Diesel broke the news himself on Saturday night, posting a selfie of him and Larson smiling together. In welcoming her to “The Family,” he also teases the importance of her character to “the mythology” of the Fast universe, and she’ll add “something you might not have expected, but yearned for.” It’s worth noting that back in February, Larson herself said that she was a fan of the franchise and expressed that she would really like to be in the films someday. “I’m obsessed, I love them,” she told Uproxx. Good on her for getting to achieve her dreams.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
FAMILY!

I can't wait until they make her insanely powerful for no reason.
I mean, how else is she going to fit in with the street racers turned hypercompetent OP superspies? Tho as the newbie she'll be even more superduper OP hypercompetent. Until Fast & Furious 11, when she'll be demoted to just regular OP hypercompetent to make the new villain seem more superduper OP hypercompetent. See also the rest of the cast. Unless you're Tyrese Gibson, then you're the everbuttmonkey.

Reactions: BrawlMan

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
How... surprising that there's an overlap between a massivley saturated genre of blockbusters and another 12(?) movie series of blockbusters.

Like if you're an a or b list actor and haven't been yanked into a superhero role at this point, prettysure they're actively avoiding it.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This should have been on the general news thread, but okay. Still not seeing it. I have not seen 8, 9, nor Hobbes and Shaw. I'm not dealing with over glorified live action fanfics at this point. Funny enough at the last title, there were certain anime fans expecting crossover with Fate Stay Night.

Back on topic, I consider Furious 7 the true end of the series. I stated this multiple times, all the way back before.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I think we're missing the bigger picture: there's going to be another Fast and Furious movie? They've gone to space; what else can they possibly do that anyone could possibly give a fuck about? Geezus, Hollywood; can you at least pretend to respect our intelligence?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I think we're missing the bigger picture: there's going to be another Fast and Furious movie? They've gone to space; what else can they possibly do that anyone could possibly give a fuck about? Geezus, Hollywood; can you at least pretend to respect our intelligence?
Time!

They'll race through the streets of 1914 Sarajevo to prevent Brie Larson (disguised as Gavrilo Princip) from assassinating Archduke Franz Ferdinant, thereby preventing the Great War and World War II.

Then, in Furious 12, they'll face off against evil alternate universe versions of themselves.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've said it before and I said it again, once you go into space everything's a step backwards or too mundane. Becomes the same thing over and over again. Products like James Bond or Mario are the exception, not the rule. I said this before, and some people didn't listen.

Alt right grifters everywhere: ''REEEEEEEEEEEEE!'

View attachment 5886

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Time!

They'll race through the streets of 1914 Sarajevo to prevent Brie Larson (disguised as Gavrilo Princip) from assassinating Archduke Franz Ferdinant, thereby preventing the Great War and World War II.

Then, in Furious 12, they'll face off against evil alternate universe versions of themselves.
There will be time or dimensional travel, but it'll be going forward. The crew will travel about 200 years into the future to make sure Toretto's great great grandchildren don't get killed.

The next step is multiverse theory. They travel through dimensions and each universe has a different outcome. One universe where Dom stayed in Mexico. Han never crashed in Tokyo. Street racing becomes more extreme and almost more like a death race, or underground blood sport advertised and televised on private networks. The possibilities are endless!

Last edited:
Reactions: Thaluikhain

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Time!

That's twice now that you've posted something that has infuriated me, mostly because you're probably not wrong.

Gotta give credit where credit is due, though (credit in the most objective of senses.) There's something to be said for managing to fleece audiences with ever-increasing levels of absurdity for over 20 years. At this point, studio execs have got to asking themselves "what WON'T these assholes pay to see? Why hasn't anyone called us on our bullshit yet??" I think the FaF franchise officially has more in common with Spongebob than it does any respectable cinematic outings. OH! See that?!? "FaF;" they're literally telling us they're "FaF-ing" about!

Reactions: Chimpzy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why hasn't anyone called us on our bullshit yet??"
Cuz family!/s

In all seriousness, plenty of movie critics have called them out on this, but many fans and casual audiences don't care to listen. Ironic enough, there was a bit of backlash with 9 on the audience's part. The majority of critics actually enjoyed part 9. Not to mention, most critics didn't have a problem with part 5 or part 7. 7 is a bit more understandable though.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
There's a lot to be said for a big dumb action franchise remaining a big dumb action franchise without disappearing up it's own butt.

I think it's because it hasn't pivoted to Obvious Propoganda the way others tend to