Bring Back Mystery Science Theater 3000 Campaign Lands on Kickstarter

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Bring Back Mystery Science Theater 3000 Campaign Lands on Kickstarter

Joel Hodgson is crowdfunding a new, twelve-episode Mystery Science Theater 3000 season via Kickstarter.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2760-Mystery-Science-Theater-3000>Mystery Science Theater 3000 was a beloved TV classic inspired by a simple premise: A janitor and his robot companions watch terrible, real-life B movies and crack jokes for the entire runtime. The series quickly found a devoted fanbase, and ran for twelve years before cancellation. Sadly, due to various licensing issues, the MST3K team has been limited <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138797-Myster-Science-Theater-3000-Offers-83-Episodes-Online>in the number of episodes it could re-release on DVD. But series creator and actor Joel Hodgson has found a great solution - make new episodes! Which is why he's started the "Bring Back Mystery Science Theater 3000" Kickstarter campaign, seeking over $5,000,000 to produce a new season of feature-length episodes.

[kickstarter=mst3k/bringbackmst3k]

MST3K originally ran for 197 episodes across multiple television networks before it was finally cancelled in 1999. While its cast and creators have reunited for successful follow-ups like RiffTrax and Cinematic Titanic, they've never quite been able to secure enough funding to bring back the original series. So Hodgson is bypassing the producer model entirely, turning to fans to secure the licensing rights for more episodes.

"So the fanbase becomes the new evil overlords?" Tom Servo says in the Kickstarter pitch video. "Why it's actually a new dimension of horror!"

Obviously, there are still some challenges ahead. Licensing agreements are a difficult beast, meaning a new MST3K season would need some serious cash behind it. The campaign's $2 million minimum would allow for three full-length episodes, but additional funding would let Hodgson unlock a complete twelve-episode run. That's also the point where Hodgson can better negotiate producer interest, fueling new MST3K episodes well into the future.

Of course, the MST3K Kickstarter campaign will have its own stretch goals and rewards. Outside of T-shirts, mugs, posters, and other merchandise, a few backers will be able to keep the Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot figures used in specific episodes. But for the majority of fans, I suspect $5 million will be worthwhile just to see the old gang riff on B movies once again.

Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/description>Kickstarter

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
But Joel, you weren't that funny! There's only so many times a guy can add 'Death' and 'Dying' to the end of kids' lines before we realize he's not good at writing.

If you bring back Mike, that might be worth investing.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I'm so game for this. There's a fansite that basically acts as a fan community index to youtube rips of all of the episodes that I have totally been abusing since I found. I've watched rifftracks and cinematic titanic, but there's just something kind of magical in the satellite of love framing device.

Sadly, I don't have money to put behind this project, but considering it just started and they are already at 400k I think they'll manage. Hopefully, they can beat the stretch goals and pull a whole season out of this. I mean, jesus, look at how much that space flight sim cult has pulled in and it's only returned alpha demos a year after it was supposed to be finished.

I'm really amused to already see skepticism about the money they are asking for when we've been more than happy to throw far more money than that at games.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'm so up for this. If I could absolutely pay anything towards it I so would. Just because Joel is heading it. I miss the fuck out of MST3K and there's so much schlock from the 90s and the aughts that they could totally rip new ones on...

If The Room hadn't been so overdone on the web, an MST3K episode ripping it could do so damn well. :)

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I dunno. What made the show for me was Corbett, Nelson, and Murphy. All of which already do this same thing on Rifftrax. I just don't see a reason to back it. I never thought the Joel era stuff was that good. Blasphemy, I know.

Darth Marsden

Sep 12, 2008
Actually, contrary to what the last paragraph of the article implies, Joel's the only returning cast member and he's not even portraying the 'host'... he'll be doing behind-the-scenes stuff with an occasional cameo as a non-Joel character.

It IS in continuity with the original show though - the new mad will be Dr Clayton Forrester's offspring. Which'll be interesting. It's the new Doctor Who all over again!

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Darth Marsden said:
Actually, contrary to what the last paragraph of the article implies, Joel's the only returning cast member and he's not even portraying the 'host'... he'll be doing behind-the-scenes stuff with an occasional cameo as a non-Joel character.

It IS in continuity with the original show though - the new mad will be Dr Clayton Forrester's offspring. Which'll be interesting. It's the new Doctor Who all over again!
I just checked and it seems that Mike, Bill, and Kevin aren't involved. Still, the Rifftracks Twitter account did promote this as well, so it seems there is no ill will between them. Not sure why they aren't involved and it does make me sad. But even if they don't take part in a revival of MST3K, that might just mean we get MST3K AND Rifftracks. I call that Win/Win.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I have... mixed feelings about this. One the one hand, it'd be great to see more MST3K... on the other, isn't that what the likes of Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic are for?

Also, who are they gonna get for the riffers? (And personally, I'm more partial to the Mike era than the Joel era, but that's only my opinion.)

Now if they were putting old episodes back on the air, THAT is something I can get behind!

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
9tailedflame said:
Oh man, this could be fun! I wonder if they'd do more modern crappy movies as well as the old ones.
Sci-Fi Channel or whatever the hell you're calling yourselves now, you're made god awful original movies for YEARS, time to fulfill your destiny!

Imagine Crow and Tom Servo when they are exposed to the wonder of Sharknado 3: Oh dear god they actually made a Sharknado 3!?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Lightknight said:
$2 million for 3 episodes? Is crow literally made of gold?
I was shocked at this as well. I'm very interested in a cost breakdown.

I know filming stuff is expensive, but I thought the point of MST3K to begin with was it was a super low budget show with movies they could license for virtually nothing and small, cheap sets made of spare junk.

Personally, I never really liked the host segments much. If they axed those and saved money on costumes, sets, and writing I'd like to see how much they could save.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
This would be great. Though it sucks Mike won't be writing for them because he came up with the best comments according to more than a few of the team.

As long as it's new bots as well, I don't think I could get used to another change in actor for them.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Well, I know what I backing come pay day.

I'm all giddy that Joel will be bringing this back and doing more fun stuff. Sucks that rest of the gang isn't involved, but I would still like to see more MST3K stuff. Love to know what kind of movies that they will do since Rifftrax does a lot these days in terms of shitty movies.

Still stoked for this though. :D

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Weaver said:
Lightknight said:

I know filming stuff is expensive, but I thought the point of MST3K to begin with was it was a super low budget show with movies they could license for virtually nothing and small, cheap sets made of spare junk.

Personally, I never really liked the host segments much. If they axed those and saved money on costumes, sets, and writing I'd like to see how much they could save.
Honestly, 2 million for 3 episodes seems about right. They had cheap sets, but they weren't going for Ed Wood-levels of cheap (plain card-board cut-outs with some cloth taped to them), and even TV quality sound, recording, lighting, editing, etc equipment is expensive as shit. There is also crew as well, and licensing costs as outlined in the article... Basically, shit takes money.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Why bother? Aside from milking Nostalgia value... I mean really.. why?. THere are literally huindreds of tubers doing this stuff already. There's no need for an MST3k

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Lightknight said:
Weaver said:
Lightknight said:

When MST3K was on TV, they were able to use movies the networks had already licensed to run on slow days. For the Kickstarter to succeed independently, MST3K would have to absorb all of those costs themselves, on top of salaries, sets, and prop effects. Not to mention how licensing fees have gone way up in the digital era now that companies know how even small-budget productions can become massive online hits.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wait, Joel's the only returning member?

I was excited until I heard that.

Darth Marsden said:
Which'll be interesting. It's the new Doctor Who all over again!
So many options for comments.

-So it'll be a romance thinly veiled as science-fiction?
-You mean there'll be farting aliens?
-So fans who have spent decades dealing with inconsistent plots, writing, and continuity will suddenly be very concerned with canon?
-The villains will die in almost every episode?
-The fans will ship this and Rifftrax in really creepy ways?
-Mike will be replaced by John Hurt?
-so...oh god, my hand is cramping up!

Seriously, though, I can deal with New Who. I'm not sure I can really get myself into MST3K with only Joel. In fact, being aware of the origins of the show...I think I'm better off watching Rifftrax.

MarsAtlas said:
Frankly I'm shocked the Sci-Fi channel hasn't been having them do this for years. Would put something in the late night blocks for little cost.
SyFy hates science fiction. Framing it in space would obviously be a no-no. It would need to be set at an Army base, or possibly a frat house.