Brink Dev: Analog Sticks Are "A Poor Man's Mouse"

DogofRaw

Apr 24, 2009
Yep.
That about sums up my opinion.
Mabey its just bitterness that All my friends had consoles and I wasnt allowed to buy one

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
The only genres that don't work on consoles are RTS games.

Mice and sticks are built to do different things, so there's no real REASON for anyone to argue about it.

Falru

Dec 3, 2008
People don't seem to realize that consoles are computers, with controllers.

Plug a controller into a PC and you've suddenly got the exact same control scheme.

AndyCobra

May 28, 2009
PC games wiil always bee superior to any console game if you have the hardware to run them all(like me :D)

Thwarted

Sep 10, 2009
If all games on the X360 supported a USB keyboard and mouse id switch instantly. I play games exclusively on the PC (and im only slightly elitist about it :p ) but not out of some loyalty to the platform, I just genuinely dont like controllers. I'm not saying controllers are bad or that others don't/should not prefer them. This is just my opinion, nothing more.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
The Great JT said:
It's funny he says 'if you have the money,' because I've noticed most PC games are, like, $10-20 cheaper.

It might just be where I live, though.
Games are cheaper, rigs are more expensive.

Anyway, this guy's right, however I would disagree with the "poor man's" part.
I would argue it's an option for someone who doesn't really give a damn about trying to configure the best computer with the best graphics ever and just wants to get on with playing.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008

Falru said:
People don't seem to realize that consoles are computers, with controllers.

Plug a controller into a PC and you've suddenly got the exact same control scheme.
Consoles are computers, with controllers, that you cannot upgrade or mod. I'm aware that the upgrade comes through cycles, but still.

There's less freedom on consoles because it's made for ease of use, plug 'n play if you will. Not to mention adding mouse support to games just gives those that can actually use the scheme an advantage of sorts (though that is still up for debate).

I'm not sure if I reserve any concrete verdict on this one though.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
I find it interesting that there are so many people saying pc is better for RPG's I think I am split on that one. RPG's like fallout and Oblivion and the like I can understand but when it comes to something like final fantasy, star ocean, persona, and others like that I much prefer the controller over mouse and keyboard.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Always makes me laugh when people state Pads are better for Shooters than Mice, because I mean if it worked so well on a pad, most games wouldnt need auto aim built into the game, and have it set to default...right? If it needs a crutch to make it work, it obviously doesn't work properly does it?

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I don't see why you need a mouse for rpgs, aren't those the least twitch skill required?

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
DayDark said:
I don't see why you need a mouse for rpgs, aren't those the least twitch skill required?
It's not just the mouse. Most RPGs are crap by themselves(I'm looking at Fallout 3 and Oblivion) but are awesome with mods. You can't get those mods if you play the game on a console.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
harhol said:
WASD is a poor man's analog stick.
This is the main reason I don't play FPS's on PC. I find it really difficult to move using WASD, I also hate having to use other keys to reload, crouch etc. Mouse gives you increased accuracy though.......

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Xvito said:
Well, maybe if they weren't so lazy and stupid (!!!!), they would realize that you can use a "mouse & keyboard"-setup for the Ps3 as well, as long as the developers include it (Unreal Tournament 3 did it).

So... This guy just made himself look like an ass...

PS. Obviously graphics are better on the PC, but as far as controls go; that's just laziness from the developer.

Edit: why don't more games have this feature? It's teh awzumzz!
You got the point - they're lazy and stupid. I don't buy PC games anymore, too many bugs and problems. If they make console version significantly inferior, I simply won't buy this game at all.

Crops

Probably more bored than you
Aug 16, 2009
One thing to consider is that keyboard and mouse need a surface to be put on and used, controllers are held in your hands no matter where you are.

I for one would hate console gaming if it required sitting at my desk instead of hanging in a lazy chair, on the couch or anything similar.

That being said, mouse + keyboard just plays much more comfortably for shooters in my opinion. Much faster aiming, no pad can mimic the speed of your scroll button/hotkey weapon swap or any other moves mapped to your pinky- and thumb-range keys.
Forcing you to use both your thumbs for moving/aiming, 2-4 fingers on shoulderbuttons and 4 to hold the pad limits the number of buttons you can use/actions you can perform while in combat without being crippled/blindsided.

There are games that work better on a pad, and games that work better with mouse/keys. Ham is definately right about shooters.

In case you're wondering; I mostly game on consoles.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I have a mouse and keyboard for my Dreamcast.

No, I'm serious [http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2007/03/dreamcast-keyboard-mouse-be-prepared.html]. (And Typing of the Dead, PSO, Quake 3 for it, etc...)

And you can mod consoles, just not as easily most of the time...But I digress.

My computer would calmly, comfortably play Brink at 800x600 on medium settings, and it would be good enough for me because I rather have 80+ FPS than a good looking game, for proper movement/aiming.

And again, it's been statistically proven that a mouse/keyboard setup is more efficient and precise for aiming, etc...

But again, if people think that aim alone will win them any serious, competitive matches, then show me the pro FPS that's played in an open square and is instagib. :/