Brink Dev: Analog Sticks Are "A Poor Man's Mouse"

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Yes, yes, PC is the most elite gaming system, you think I haven't heard it before?

But I don't care because I'm happy with my 360. If I ever feel the need to play things on the PC, I'll either upgrade or get a better laptop, Thank you.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
I've once tried to play Halo 2 on the xbox, and being a weathered PC FPS gamer I could not for the life of me get my crosshair on the target. So targeting with the mouse is not only better, but anyone can do it, there's virtually no experience involved that can't be fixed by adjusting the mouse sensitivity.

However, I can see why an analog stick (why do they call it that, by the way?) is more suitable for moving. WASD is incredibly limited and sometimes conflicted, too. So here's an idea: You know the pointer button [http://xkcd.com/243/] on laptop keyboards? It's the computer equivalent of a stick, and if you combine that with regular mouse movement - because who doesn't get a mouse when buying a laptop? - you could have a very efficient movement and targeting system. I wonder if they make regular keyboards with that button...

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
Anyway, this guy's right, however I would disagree with the "poor man's" part.
I would argue it's an option for someone who doesn't really give a damn about trying to configure the best computer with the best graphics ever and just wants to get on with playing.
The use of that phrase wasn't implying that console controllers are marketed at poor people. It just means that for aiming, an analog stick is a poor substitute for a mouse (which is clearly is, there's just no comparison). The phrase "A poor man's [whatever]" is certainly derived from inferior versions of products marketed at the poor, but it's also used to describe actors or jury-rigged systems imposed due to technological constraints, etc.

Anyways, console controllers are more expensive than a mouse. Price had nothing to do with his use of that turn of speech.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
LTK_70 said:
However, I can see why an analog stick (why do they call it that, by the way?)
It's a stick and records analog data (as opposed to digital data). Which is to say, it's not simply "on" or "off", it is positive or negative by a certain magnitude on one of it's many axes.

Also, I don't think they even make laptops with that pointer stick anymore. All the one's I've seen have a track pad or touch-sensitive screen (or both).

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
LTK_70 said:
I've once tried to play Halo 2 on the xbox, and being a weathered PC FPS gamer I could not for the life of me get my crosshair on the target. So targeting with the mouse is not only better, but anyone can do it, there's virtually no experience involved that can't be fixed by adjusting the mouse sensitivity.

However, I can see why an analog stick (why do they call it that, by the way?) is more suitable for moving. WASD is incredibly limited and sometimes conflicted, too. So here's an idea: You know the pointer button [http://xkcd.com/243/] on laptop keyboards? It's the computer equivalent of a stick, and if you combine that with regular mouse movement - because who doesn't get a mouse when buying a laptop? - you could have a very efficient movement and targeting system. I wonder if they make regular keyboards with that button...
The problem with the pointer button/nub is that it's very imprecise.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
It's not like I can disagree with the guy, but why bother bringing it up. It alienates your audience when you show a bias. If I had already known what Brink was, this would have changed my oppinion of them.
Emphraim said:
DayDark said:
I don't see why you need a mouse for rpgs, aren't those the least twitch skill required?
It's not just the mouse. Most RPGs are crap by themselves(I'm looking at Fallout 3 and Oblivion) but are awesome with mods. You can't get those mods if you play the game on a console.
So essentially the developer designed shit, so the user designed something better. Great job PC developers.

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
Sparrow said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Torque669 said:
PC's are best for RTS and RPG.
I have no idea how they could work on any other platform.

Anyway, as a PC gamer, I obviously agree - console controls are one of the many reasons I prefer the PC.
Sort of the point. Halo Wars sucked for a very simple reason: Controlling the game was a damn mindfuck.
No it weren't you just selected everything you owned and attacked the most worthless thing on the map

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
I can see tomorrows headlines,

Brink Developer Richard Ham issues his apology to his comment about Analog Sticks, and resigns from his position. Brink hires new developers.

Always happens.

I prefer a keyboard and mouse myself, except for 3rd person games, those just work better on consoles.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
jboking said:
It's not like I can disagree with the guy, but why bother bringing it up. It alienates your audience when you show a bias. If I had already known what Brink was, this would have changed my oppinion of them.
Emphraim said:
DayDark said:
I don't see why you need a mouse for rpgs, aren't those the least twitch skill required?
It's not just the mouse. Most RPGs are crap by themselves(I'm looking at Fallout 3 and Oblivion) but are awesome with mods. You can't get those mods if you play the game on a console.
So essentially the developer designed shit, so the user designed something better. Great job PC developers.
Pretty much any game is shit when it is released. Then again, I do have higher standards than most. Mods allow me to fix the game in the way that I want. GTA4 was worthless until I installed some realism mods.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
He's right. Analog sticks are nothing compared to a mouse. But at the same time, proper mouse play requires a hard, flat surface, totally non-reflective black for my lasermouse, which is fiddly and annoying as hell when I just wanna jump in bed and play on my side.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Emphraim said:
jboking said:
Emphraim said:
DayDark said:
Pretty much any game is shit when it is released. Then again, I do have higher standards than most. Mods allow me to fix the game in the way that I want. GTA4 was worthless until I installed some realism mods.
You're right, any PC game that is released is initially shit. Which is where Console gamers have an advantage. You can't get away with that shit and expect to still sell well on a console. You have to get their attention from the get go and keep it.

Oh, and for the sake of argument, there is no saving GTA4, not even with a mod that handed out Benjamins and blowjobs(hot coffee anyone?).

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
AceDiamond said:
LTK_70 said:

The problem with the pointer button/nub is that it's very imprecise.
Granted, but would precision really be an issue as far as movement is concerned? I mean, you only want to go in one direction, be it forward, backward, etc. and I think the button is at least accurate in which way you make it point. It's not really relevant how fast you'd want to be moving, or at least, I don't think so, because I know only of buttons Run and Walk, and I assume you want to go as fast as possible.

I haven't seen any pointer buttons on laptops recently, though, including my own. Touchpads seem to be prevalent, but when I had the opportunity to use a pointer button I found it was easier to use than a touchpad. Whenever I need to use my touchpad to move from one end of the screen to another, I have to swipe the pad a couple of times before getting there. With a nub I barely have to move my finger. (Yes, I'm that lazy.) I think that, with some refinement, it could be very useful.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
I play TF2 on the PC with a 360 gamepad. Why? Because not only is it comfier and more natural, hell even easier as I don't have to manage two hands seperately, they become one with the controller, but I play a lot better with them. I tried playing with a mouse, talk about your fucking inaccuracy, it was going bloody everywhere. I've adjusted to the gamepad and I cannot change. I now plug my controller in and calmy play normally. Sure, I have to put up with a lot of the crap from snipers on the PC, instant headshots while double jumping in a firefight with Bonk! on, but I get the awesome updates.

madhaha

Oct 29, 2008
A lot of people are saying how incredibly superior an analogue stick is to WASD for movement. But this is only true if you get anything useful out of the gradations between going the fastest possible speed you can move and dead stop in terms of acceleration. In a shooter you always want to move as fast as you can. You might have a case for certain games where fluid movement is more enjoyable e.g. sports, flight sims, racing, fighting games and certain platformers. But mashing down forward as hard as you can with the constant fear of toggling duck or whatever clicking left analogue does isn't really an improvement over pressing W. I don't really feel the variations on "move forward and strafe at 30 degrees instead of 45" really helps either.

madhaha
Friends of WASD
p.s. I prefer keyboard for voice binds and flying around in battlefield.

dazdex

Aug 20, 2008
Whilst he may be right, I just can't justify spending that much on a pc. Would rather put the money towards a car. I guess I'm just not "Hardcore" like you guys.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Oh boy. Looks like more fuel for PC snobs to be complete asses.

Maybe next he'll say their crap is made of gold and smells like flowers.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Xvito said:
Well, maybe if they weren't so lazy and stupid (!!!!), they would realize that you can use a "mouse & keyboard"-setup for the Ps3 as well, as long as the developers include it (Unreal Tournament 3 did it).

So... This guy just made himself look like an ass...

PS. Obviously graphics are better on the PC, but as far as controls go; that's just laziness from the developer.

Edit: why don't more games have this feature? It's teh awzumzz!
Except that PS3 online games don't allow users of the mouse and keyboard and the mouse to play against the gamepad users.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
I still don't understand why they don't support USB mice and keyboards for games on consoles....Fuck, M$ and Sony could even put out proprietary ones and make a killing charging people for a keyboard and mouse.

elvor0 said:
Always makes me laugh when people state Pads are better for Shooters than Mice, because I mean if it worked so well on a pad, most games wouldnt need auto aim built into the game, and have it set to default...right? If it needs a crutch to make it work, it obviously doesn't work properly does it?
Auto aim actually fucks up your aim more then it helps a lot of the time. Especially if two targets are close together the auto aim becomes very "sticky" and can often result in you shooting someone your not trying to shoot. It's usually better to turn it off in most console shooters.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Bigeyez said:
I still don't understand why they don't support USB mice and keyboards for games on consoles....Fuck, M$ and Sony could even put out proprietary ones and make a killing charging people for a keyboard and mouse.

elvor0 said:
Always makes me laugh when people state Pads are better for Shooters than Mice, because I mean if it worked so well on a pad, most games wouldnt need auto aim built into the game, and have it set to default...right? If it needs a crutch to make it work, it obviously doesn't work properly does it?
Auto aim actually fucks up your aim more then it helps a lot of the time. Especially if two targets are close together the auto aim becomes very "sticky" and can often result in you shooting someone your not trying to shoot. It's usually better to turn it off in most console shooters.
The auto-lock-on of the Metroid Prime games worked exceptionally well though.