Brink Dev: Analog Sticks Are "A Poor Man's Mouse"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Brink Dev: Analog Sticks Are "A Poor Man's Mouse"

Richard Ham, creative director at Brink [http://www.brinkthegame.com/] developer Splash Damage, says analog sticks are "a poor man's mouse" and that the PC version of the game will be the best experience, "if you have got the money."

The debate over controllers - mouse and keyboard vs. gamepads - has raged for years but developers are usually reluctant to wade into the fray, presumably for fear of alienating their audience. But Richard Ham appears to have no such compunction; speaking to VideoGamer.com [http://www.videogamer.com/news/brink_dev_analogue_sticks_a_poor_mans_mouse.html] recently, he made it clear that when it comes to shooters, he firmly believes that mouse beats stick.

"No matter how hard we work on it to make the perfect analog stick controls - and as an aside we have got really good analog stick controls - it is a poor man's mouse at the end of the day," he said.

He also claimed that for those who have the budget, a high-end PC is going to provide a better experience than a console. "Obviously it goes without saying that on consoles it is going to be pegged to the maximum resolution that the consoles can handle," Ham said. "Whereas on PC, the sky's the limit, depending on what your rig is. There is no choice about it."

"I would be laughed out the room if I were to sit here and say 'yes of course the console games will look just as good as the PC version'," he continued. "The PC version will always be king because it can always adapt and keep on building if you have got the money." Noting that he's a console player himself, however, he added that Brink will be a "fantastic and beautiful experience on consoles as well."

I'd say that pretty much settles things, wouldn't you?

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
PC's are best for RTS and RPG. I find consoles too be better for the rest. And you would have to upgrade your computer to play Brink. Whereas with consoles, you just buy the console. Its not the poor mans mouse. Its the clever mans mouse.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
It's funny he says 'if you have the money,' because I've noticed most PC games are, like, $10-20 cheaper.

It might just be where I live, though.

Apr 28, 2008
The Great JT said:
It's funny he says 'if you have the money,' because I've noticed most PC games are, like, $10-20 cheaper.

I think he was talking about the price of upgrading your computer, which could cost quite a bit.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
The Great JT said:

He's talking about high-spec PCs, which are a damn sight more expensive than any console.

He has got a point; for rpgs and rts games, mice win, but I'm not actually sure what Brink is... All I've ever seen is the teaser.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
If I had a nickel for every self-assured declaration that PC gaming is obviously better than console gaming in every way...

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Well, maybe if they weren't so lazy and stupid (!!!!), they would realize that you can use a "mouse & keyboard"-setup for the Ps3 as well, as long as the developers include it (Unreal Tournament 3 did it).

So... This guy just made himself look like an ass...

PS. Obviously graphics are better on the PC, but as far as controls go; that's just laziness from the developer.

Edit: why don't more games have this feature? It's teh awzumzz!

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
Malygris said:
Noting that he's a console player himself, however, he added that Brink will be a "fantastic and beautiful experience on consoles as well."
I love how he saves his own ass with that last line.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
woo, the second coming of the pc is about to arrive, no more playing click and point and rts games on my 3300 dollar pc.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
He is right. Analog sticks may be fit for fighting,and MAYBE platforming,but in FPSes,RTSes,and RPGs mouse and keyboard reign supreme.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Torque669 said:
PC's are best for RTS and RPG.
I have no idea how they could work on any other platform.

Anyway, as a PC gamer, I obviously agree - console controls are one of the many reasons I prefer the PC.
Sort of the point. Halo Wars sucked for a very simple reason: Controlling the game was a damn mindfuck.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
I might be very crazy, but I've always prefered a analog stick to a mouse myself.

Except for RTS's, and RPG's.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
A slight correction:
The right-hand analog stick is a poor man's mouse.

The left-hand analog stick is great for movement.

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
JediMB said:
A slight correction:
The right-hand analog stick is a poor man's mouse.

The left-hand analog stick is great for movement.
I have to agree this feels a bit more accurate.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Sparrow said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Torque669 said:
PC's are best for RTS and RPG.
I have no idea how they could work on any other platform.

Anyway, as a PC gamer, I obviously agree - console controls are one of the many reasons I prefer the PC.
Sort of the point. Halo Wars sucked for a very simple reason: Controlling the game was a damn mindfuck.
That was the reason I didn't buy it. It seemed fun, but after 10 years of Stacraft and Warcraft I can't change to a control for an RTS. He has a point though, most games are easier to control on the PC, if you were brought up with one. My brother started with a console though, and prefers it much more to PC gaming, because, well, that's what he plays.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I would take programming for an analog stick over programming for a mouse any day. It's a hell of a lot easier and much more intuitive interface for most games aside from RTS's.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Wanna Play some crysis one?

Joking aside. im waiting for a hybrid with a control stick movement and mouse aim.