Brink Hands-on

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
The more I hear about Brink, the longer is the wait for the game to finally come out.

Preordering a game almost a year before it's released is a bad idea. But it'll be worth the wait. I hope.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I'm still apprehensive about any multiplayer game that lets the players who are already better at the game earn straight buffs. Is there something in place to keep matches from being insanely imbalanced?

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I've been pumped for this game for ages. It sounds better and better every time I hear something about it.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Akalabeth said:
Meh, I like shooting people (in video games). Not helping teammates.
...and you still have hake, trout, tuna, I mean, cod. This is for the rest of us. The ones who like Battlefield, TF2, Monday Night Combat and other team play games. I still think the men-only thing is a bit of a disapointment, but this does look like a MP game I could get behind, until they introduce hats anyway.

Maawdawg

Mar 16, 2011
Greg Tito said:
I shot a guy I saw a fancy "+3 XP" number pop up. The soldier's special ability is to provide ammunition to teammates who may be running low and when I tossed them more clips, I got more than 3,000 XP. That's quite a difference.
I played a couple rounds of the demo at PAX as well and just wanted to post to clarify this bit of the review here, everything else is spot on. The XP disparity isn't that excessive. Here are some of the values...

- kills seem to be 40xp or so but they are broken down on a % damage basis so if you do half the damage you get half the xp, no kill points/assist points.
- healing (medic), buffing damage (engineer), hacking comms* (operative), and giving out ammo (soldier) give +75xp each and all use up chunks of energy that comes from a power bar on the bottom left of the UI. It regenerates at a reasonable rate but you just can't spam these "powers". The length of the power bar may be player size related too, like the health, but I am not sure.
- the 3,000 xp number probably came from the right of the screen where it keeps a running tally of your XP for the whole match

*if you down an enemy as an Operative you can run up and scan them which will hack their communications and show everyone on the other team on all of your minimap and the maps of all your allies for a short time.

Any way you look at it the name of this game will be teamwork as whether you just really want your team to win or you are just trying to farm XP the smart move is to work together.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
scifidownbeat said:
It sounds great, the only thing is the huge XP difference. Three XP for a kill, three thousand for a goddamn ammo restock? That is just wayyyy too big a difference; it's a one-thousand-to-one ratio. I don't think even a massive XP boost for completing an objective could stop people from boosting.

I think the highest I could go is a twenty-to-one ratio for helping teammates vs. kills (i.e. if a kill is three XP then a special ability is 60). After that it just gets ridiculous. It's pointless to kill enemies when it takes a thousand kills to get the same amount of XP as one assist ability.
the 3 xp was for shotting him not for killing him I saw gameplay video were someone was shooting a guy with a smg and 3xp came up after every hit of the gun and seeing as people in this game have large amounts of hp you could get a lot of points for killing a guy.

CezarIgnat

Jul 5, 2009
Maawdawg said:
Greg Tito said:
I shot a guy I saw a fancy "+3 XP" number pop up. The soldier's special ability is to provide ammunition to teammates who may be running low and when I tossed them more clips, I got more than 3,000 XP. That's quite a difference.
I played a couple rounds of the demo at PAX as well and just wanted to post to clarify this bit of the review here, everything else is spot on. The XP disparity isn't that excessive. Here are some of the values...

- kills seem to be 40xp or so but they are broken down on a % damage basis so if you do half the damage you get half the xp, no kill points/assist points.
- healing (medic), buffing damage (engineer), hacking comms* (operative), and giving out ammo (soldier) give +75xp each and all use up chunks of energy that comes from a power bar on the bottom left of the UI. It regenerates at a reasonable rate but you just can't spam these "powers". The length of the power bar may be player size related too, like the health, but I am not sure.
- the 3,000 xp number probably came from the right of the screen where it keeps a running tally of your XP for the whole match

*if you down an enemy as an Operative you can run up and scan them which will hack their communications and show everyone on the other team on all of your minimap and the maps of all your allies for a short time.

Any way you look at it the name of this game will be teamwork as whether you just really want your team to win or you are just trying to farm XP the smart move is to work together.
Thanks for clearing that up! Maybe the Escapist could update the review to lower the confusion. Pretty please Escapist *puppy eyes*?

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
The more I see of this game, the more I want it. An actual team-based multi-player shooter? No air-strikes or grenade-spam? DO WANT!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
What's normal movement in the game like?

Whenever I see it being played, the running speed seems so slow and clunky, and complete at odds with the SMART system.