Britain is getting in on the Concentration Camp thing

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Not to be outdone by Australia, China, India and the US, Britain plans on doing Concentration Camps. Oh, I'm sorry "Offshore Detention Centres' for those worried about that word. Very nice, that Political Correctness of yours. Don't wanna get you offended. I definitely wont point out your hypocritical behaviour or anything. The plan is lock them up and pretty much throw away the key. Because all these don't seem to have an end date. Australia's being going on for seven years. Not a single one has come to Australia and a few have returned home. Leaving taxpayer forking out billions to house thousands. Every cost effective. There has been many abuses and Australia continually gets criticised by the International Community over it.

All around, a clever move I'd say /s

Man, Tony Abbott was quick. He's only been there for a few weeks

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, Britain invented concentration camps, and a British company runs the Australian ones (IIRC).

Less flippantly...just don't do this, ever. The idea has got nothing going for it except cruelty, and making the government look like it is doing something about something.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
We're fucked, a lost cause. Its not going to get any better. This is just a beginning of the bullshit to come.

lil devils x

šŸMore Lego Goats Please!šŸ
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
SO instead of getting rid of GITMO, everyone's getting one too! Lovely.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I thought the idea was shelved, though tragically only because it was too expensive.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Not to be outdone by Australia, China, India and the US, Britain plans on doing Concentration Camps.
The Home Office is in the hands of a horrible woman who bullies and screams at her staff, and thinks everything can be resolved by by as harsh as possible. How could we think anything else would emerge from it?

We had the Windrush scandal recently where we chucked out (or tried to) thousands of people from the country who'd lived here decades since they were children, and who weren't even aware they needed to do anything to remain or even that they weren't British citizens. Sure, it's an outrage and the government took a load of flak. But it wasn't an accident; it was a works as designed feature of their attitudes and policies.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
What is it with English and needlessly cruel punishments?

Asked the American whose country inherited that same penchant for punitive action.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
You get a Gitmo! You get a Gitmo! Everybody gets a Gitmo!

Asked the American whose country inherited that same penchant for punitive action.

Homo homini lupus est

Last edited:

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016

It is quite literally a UK Home Office policy called the Hostile Environment. Its purpose is to make it as difficult and painful as possible to come here. It separates families if they don't earn enough. I don't want to say we haven't always been a nation of bastards, but we've definitely got worse in my lifetime (I hasten to point out, as everyone on the internet knows, correlation does not equal causation).

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I mean, no offense to the Brits here or anything but, the only reason your empire is remembered more favourably than the Nazis is you won enough times to get to write the history books. So yeah "Britain does something terrible" is hardly news to their nearest neighbour.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I mean, no offense to the Brits here or anything but, the only reason your empire is remembered more favourably than the Nazis is you won enough times to get to write the history books. So yeah "Britain does something terrible" is hardly news to their nearest neighbour.
That and the Imperial British didn't try to deliberately genocide whole populations with mass murder. They sure accomplished a few mass famines, disease spreading and some bloody rebellion suppressions, though. There's potentially some mitigation for being earlier in history, when the world was less civilised. And on balance, British Empire rule probably wasn't quite as bad for the natives as some other contemporary colonial powers such as Spain, although we're more talking about inches rather than yards.

Reactions: deleted20220709

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
That and the Imperial British didn't try to deliberately genocide whole populations with mass murder. They sure accomplished a few mass famines, disease spreading and some bloody rebellion suppressions, though. There's potentially some mitigation for being earlier in history, when the world was less civilised. And on balance, British Empire rule probably wasn't quite as bad for the natives as some other contemporary colonial powers such as Spain, although we're more talking about inches rather than yards.
Compared to the Dutch, maybe, but I donā€™t really think the British are all that much better than the Spanish. Between the Opium wars, the manufactured famines, the racial hierarchies they setup, the existence of South Africa, and all the concentration camps, I really canā€™t think of a worse imperial power save the ā€œkill everyone to keep the price of spices highā€ Dutch.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
This idea and the camps at the border of the US are concentration camps
This is seperate from a Gulag/work camp/ normal US prison
And seperate again is Gitmo. You can't tell me that many of those tortured didn't die. I'm call that a Death Camp

Just for clarity for my impression of the situation. This isn't as bad as Gitmo
The Home Office is in the hands of a horrible woman who bullies and screams at her staff, and thinks everything can be resolved by by as harsh as possible. How could we think anything else would emerge from it?

We had the Windrush scandal recently where we chucked out (or tried to) thousands of people from the country who'd lived here decades since they were children, and who weren't even aware they needed to do anything to remain or even that they weren't British citizens. Sure, it's an outrage and the government took a load of flak. But it wasn't an accident; it was a works as designed feature of their attitudes and policies.
She's Pritti terrible

Reactions: Agema

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Compared to the Dutch, maybe, but I donā€™t really think the British are all that much better than the Spanish. Between the Opium wars, the manufactured famines, the racial hierarchies they setup, the existence of South Africa, and all the concentration camps, I really canā€™t think of a worse imperial power save the ā€œkill everyone to keep the price of spices highā€ Dutch.
What perhaps works against the British most is scale, because they built an empire far larger than most of their competitors. And I wouldn't for a moment try to make out it wasn't crude, brutal, racist asset-stripping that was hugely exploitative of native populations, but I'm not sure it really was quite so bad for the staggering troughs of inhumanity some of the others managed.

I mean, the Belgian Congo was legendarily awful (the Rwandan genocide was also largely the product of Belgian colonial rule). The Spanish enslaved and literally worked to death whole populations of Caribbean islands. If you want to see gross racism and genocide, check out the few and short-lived German African colonies. Apartheid largely derives from the extensive autonomy and attitudes of the Afrikaners.

Reactions: Tireseas

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
I thought the idea was shelved, though tragically only because it was too expensive.
This is what's especially sickening about these policies - it costs more to governments to do this, but the cruelty and suffering it causes is seen as such a positive benefit to them politically that it justifies the expense.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
What perhaps works against the British most is scale, because they built an empire far larger than most of their competitors. And I wouldn't for a moment try to make out it wasn't crude, brutal, racist asset-stripping that was hugely exploitative of native populations, but I'm not sure it really was quite so bad for the staggering troughs of inhumanity some of the others managed.

I mean, the Belgian Congo was legendarily awful (the Rwandan genocide was also largely the product of Belgian colonial rule). The Spanish enslaved and literally worked to death whole populations of Caribbean islands. If you want to see gross racism and genocide, check out the few and short-lived German African colonies. Apartheid largely derives from the extensive autonomy and attitudes of the Afrikaners.
I don't know which one of us it was, but colonialism was pretty much responsible for the AIDS explosion too (I would guess it was whichever colonial power had the strongest links with Haiti, given the proposed transmission route, but I can't remember any more).

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Oliver Cromwell says hi. Also if you're going to do a genocide taking all of a country's food and leaving them with nothing but blighted potatoes is a good way to do it. Convincing the world that it was just because we only ever ate potatoes was a nice touch.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Look, I'm willing to call all imperialist shit. From Dutch to England to current day China and the US

And I really hate that all this started in Australia

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Bit of a disservice to throw China in there as though it were comparable.

The Britbong thing is shitty, yes, but it's not "imprisoning an entire minority group then harvesting their organs and hair" kind of shitty.

League of their own right there.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble