British Game Dev Decries Canadian "Vultures"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
British Game Dev Decries Canadian "Vultures"

British game developers are "furious" over a stunt at a recent U.K. industry conference that used fake passports to encourage them to pack up and move to Canada.

It's not exactly the complaint to the World Trade Organization [http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/topics/318/] over the Canadian policies and although that turned out to be so much hot air, tempers are rising again in the wake of broken promises for tax relief and a pretty spectacular Canadian zinger.

It's not exactly Bobby Clarke viciously breaking Valeri Kharlamov's ankle, but the decision by CVG [http://www.quickstartglobal.com/].

Making matters even worse, the Develop Conference being held in Brighton next week is sponsored by the Canadian province of Nova Scotia, which currently hosts a website comparing the "crazy costs" and "very difficult" staffing situation in the U.K. with the much friendlier atmosphere in Canada.

"Where's the support for our industry? We get little or no assistance for trade shows abroad and now even our trade shows at home are happening with the 'support' of 'Canadian agencies'," another developer complained. "Are things now so tight that we can't find British companies to sponsor our events rather than having the Canadian Government preying on our talent and companies?"

Many members of the videogame industry are angry over the decision to cancel planned tax breaks for the industry following the election of a new government in May, a situation worsened by reports that a major videogame publisher lobbied hard against the plan [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101650-Report-UK-Developer-Tax-Cut-Sabotaged-by-Major-Publisher]. TIGA Chief Richard Wilson was somewhat more circumspect, however, saying it's up to the U.K. government to take steps to even the odds.

"The Canadians are aggressively competing to make their country an attractive place to make video games," he said. "Until the UK introduces games tax relief the UK video game industry will be at a competitive disadvantage."

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Making matters even worse, the Develop Conference being held in Brighton next week is sponsored by the Canadian province of Nova Scotia, which currently hosts a website comparing the "crazy costs" and "very difficult" staffing situation in the U.K. with the much friendlier atmosphere in Canada.
Well, as a former Nova Scotian, I can say that the province has some rather odd ideas for marketing to expats and foreigners. Hit up Google for some info on "Delusional Calgaria". Because I'd DEFINITELY move back to a place after they call me delusional and diseased for leaving!

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
WanderFreak said:
Yeah how about this UK: improve your own conditions. That way you wouldn't HAVE to ***** about everyone else being better than you. See how that works?

Complain about how your industry isn't supportive, how your tax breaks do not exist. Don't complain when someone else comes in and offers your workers a better alternative.

You're telling me if the US game development community crashed completely, the UK would simply say "Oh no, that's perfectly all right, you stay over there."
Woah, calm down there. I get that you're Canadian, but they're not attacking YOU. They're just pissed that the British government isn't doing much to help.

Also, by "UK" you're including Northern Ireland. They have nothing to do with this, because as the OP says, this is about Britain. That means Wales, England and Scotland.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Posting this before anyone else does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxPRHXgYVlk

This is hilarious though. It really is like things are conspiring to depopulate the UK of all videogame developers.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Come to the dark side, join the blob that is the Canadian people, resistance is futile MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thats interesting... so they're complaining things are bad over there, and when people offer an alternative they get even more angry? Interesting.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
To be fair, costs (to do anything) are crazy and due to redtape it very difficult in the UK (to do anything), and Canada strikes me as pretty much the most friendly place in the World (I live in the UK). Why would anyone in their right mind want to stay in a place where they are paid less, treated badly and have no support at government level?

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I would point the finger at the Canadians for pulling this stunt or UK developers for complaining but instead it will always go back to the British government for not allowing tax breaks.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
WanderFreak said:
Yeah how about this UK: improve your own conditions. That way you wouldn't HAVE to ***** about everyone else being better than you. See how that works?

Complain about how your industry isn't supportive, how your tax breaks do not exist. Don't complain when someone else comes in and offers your workers a better alternative.

You're telling me if the US game development community crashed completely, the UK would simply say "Oh no, that's perfectly all right, you stay over there."
Well, thats the thing, the UK government is not about to make costly improvements to our industry anytime soon unfortunately - its not just the gaming industry, pretty much every aspect of the UK economy (except, disappointingly, the defence budget and Trident missile system) is having cuts of up to (or even over) 25% - we're in a recession, we can't afford to improve our conditions.

It sucks, and I never voted for a Conservative government (lets face it, Lib Dem have virtually no power in this coalition), but thats how our government is acting right now, and many industries are going to be hurt because of it unfortunately.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
but the decision by Quickstart Global to place fake Canadian passports on the seats at the Game Horizon Conference in Newcastle last week stung nonetheless.
Two things here, and I'll deal with the above first. Doesn't that mean Quickstart will be getting in shit for forging passports? Just saying.

And on the other note, wouldn't the efforts and energy of the British companies best be spent trying to improve their own situation as opposed to bitching that people are doing a better job?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
How can they be mad at the Canadian government for this?
Their anger should be at their own government for not supporting the industry, not the Canadian Government who is offering a better deal. Call the Canadian government 'vultures' if you want, but they are the ones who actually see promise in the industry and want to get the ball rolling.

stefanbertramlee

Apr 14, 2009
Simalacrum said:
WanderFreak said:

Well, thats the thing, the UK government is not about to make costly improvements to our industry anytime soon unfortunately - its not just the gaming industry, pretty much every aspect of the UK economy (except, disappointingly, the defence budget and Trident missile system) is having cuts of up to (or even over) 25% - we're in a recession, we can't afford to improve our conditions.

It sucks, and I never voted for a Conservative government (lets face it, Lib Dem have virtually no power in this coalition), but thats how our government is acting right now, and many industries are going to be hurt because of it unfortunately.
Defence is being cut the only things that arnt are the NHS and aid for some reason

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Erm... Canada, No hard feelings. I kinda like you, but some people in our country can be a little... erm...

Calumon: Why is everyone here so silly?

Apr 28, 2008
Well, if nothing else, Canada apologies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/1852-Canada-is-Sorry]

Sorry, it just seems so appropriate.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Typical. It's only fair that you headhunt and attempt to get new employee's to move to greener pastures. As someone else said, if the reverse happened British dev's would do the same.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Erm... Canada, No hard feelings. I kinda like you, but some people in our country can be a little... erm...

Calumon: Why is everyone here so silly?
My thoughts exactly...thats a little...*Inserts rathrer badmouth comments here*

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
Don't worry Canada says it's sor-

Irridium said:
Well, if nothing else, Canada apologies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/1852-Canada-is-Sorry]

Sorry, it just seems so appropriate.
God damned ninjas...

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
The real stinger is when it comes to light that the multinational company that petitioned the UK govt to reneg on the tax breaks is based in Canada.

(I do not know that it is, but that would be serious grounds for tension.)

-m