British Media Stops Claiming GTA Caused Riots (Sorta)

Rhys95

May 16, 2011
Really? The Daily Mail is well known for its "Anti-Anyone whos not a white middle class christian who was born in this country" outlook. Most sensible people in Britain tend to ignore them.

Harrowdown

Jan 11, 2010
To be fair, no one cares what the London Evening whatever has to say, and as big as they are, I don't think the chunterings of a few senseless rightwingers in the offices of the Daily Mail are going to have anyone convinced. This isn't the same as accusing a solitary teenage loner of being influenced by manhunt; this is country-wide. It's hardly 'British media' doing the accusing, though. Two tabloid papers do not an entire country's media make. You don't see me calling fox the 'voice of America'. Voice of the ignorant reactionary, maybe.

weker

May 27, 2009
Bah I made this thread ages ago and I didn't even get any gifs in my thread *SOB
OT: yer its nice to see a change due to CVG WRONG campaign

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
I'm fairly sure if the Daily Mail report something people are less likely to take it seriously not more.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Looks like the evening standard...has some standards. *Puts on glasses.

OT: I wonder who the daily mail's go to cause would be without gaming and racism. They might even grow up to be a real boy/paper.

Demonicdan

Dec 8, 2010
This is the daily mail we're talking about, I'm just suprised they're not blaming it on immagrants.

Feb 13, 2008
Hold on...

vansau said:
"The hugely popular computer game, which should not be played or bought by anyone under 18, is popular among teenagers, with many having the game given to them by their parents.
So it's NOT the ESRB or the retailers? It's actually the parent's fault?

Oh dear, did you quite mean to blame all the parents, Daily Fail?

Good to see you're getting back to making up shit though, for a moment during the riots, you were coming close to being a real newspaper.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
vansau said:
SenseOfTumour said:
So, headline would be more accurately, 'British Media pauses for 5 seconds on claiming GTA caused riots, then carries on anyway, as it suits them'.

I guess all the time they're just going ahead and making shit up, they're not hacking the phones of the dead, or spying thru D list celebrities bedroom window in the hope of getting a tit shot. All hail the freedom of the press!

Still, this isn't as good an example of backtracking as the Mail's recent one, where a tragic accident occured and a 13 year old girl was killed by a falling branch, and the Mail twisted it into 'girl dies in park because of teacher's strike', only removing it from the site when called out on it by everyone with some semblance of humanity left in their soul. (Which would explain how it made it to getting published, no Mail employee is going to have a problem with it).
Secret Science Fact?: The Daily Mail is the scummiest of scum-sucking bottom feeders when it comes to tabloids.
Yes. 2nd place goes to: The Sun.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Truly-A-Lie said:
Okay it's clear in my mind that the only way videogames will ever stop being the scapegoat is the same way that rock n' roll, metal, rap music and horror movies did it - pass the blame to something new. With that in mind, I have a plan that will stop this once and for all.
Tomorrow, I will write an article entitled "The X Factor Caused London Riots" and if we all do the same, we'll have a new go-to source of pure unadulterated "youth corrupter".

I'll endorse that. They must be stopped, for the children!

On topic

Another day, another media outlet blaming a scapegoat instead of looking at the more obvious causes of violence. In this case, unemployment, puhlic spending cuts, shooting alledged drug dealer and the fact that some people are just scum who like to cause trouble.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
vansau said:
"The hugely popular computer game, which should not be played or bought by anyone under 18, is popular among teenagers, with many having the game given to them by their parents.
Well with this "quote", they've shot their sensationalism in the foot to anyone who stops five seconds to think about it. "Should not be played or bought by anyone under 18" and "is popular among teenagers, with many having the game given to them by parents."

I mean I knew any children involved in the riots came down to shit parenting (Although there's no problem with buying a teenager GTA if you've done your job right) I never expected the Daily Mail to agree!

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
So it's NOT the ESRB or the retailers?
ESRB? Wrong country. All GTA games here have been BBFC rated 18. ;)

I think the article forgot to mention that you cannot legally buy GTA if you're under 18 rather than should not be bought.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Truly-A-Lie said:
Tomorrow, I will write an article entitled "The X Factor Caused London Riots" and if we all do the same, we'll have a new go-to source of pure unadulterated "youth corrupter".
hurrah! I back you 100%, I'll find you people to interview saying "louie made me cry" and "I couldn't understand a word Cheryl said!"

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Now I kind of want a vigilante running round with a fucking big sword shouting 'cleanse, purge, kill!' because he wanted to live 40K for himself.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Videogames raped my mother and burned down my house!

Right, so I guess we've only had riots since video games were invented.

Oh wait.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Please don't describe the Dail Mail as "The British Media", call it what it is, a lone paper, written and read by morons.

So while the Evening Standard realised they were stupid, the Daily Mail continues to prove how silly they are. Makes sense.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Ahh the Daily Mail .... toilet roll in print.

The only worth the Mail has in our house is lining the Guinea Pig pen to give them something to shit on.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Whether or not the police-man is made up doesn't really matter, whoever thought up the words attributed to him is just stupid.
"When I was young it was all Pacman and board games. Now they're playing Grand Theft Auto and want to live it for themselves."
This 'policeman' played pacman when he was young, at yet he did not become a pill eating ghost hunter, he became a police officer, yet he seems to assume kids these days will be very different to him.

Oh well, I've come to accept videogames will always be blamed for shit as long as the people in charge of these things are too old to have played videogames when they were young. In 10/15 years when people like us are in charge of media outlets and whatnot, the blame will be put on the next new thing that only the kids understand.

EDIT: Also, if this logic was true, how come there are no vigilantes out stopping the riots after playing games like inFamous or DC universe online or any other superhero games?