British Neuroscientist Says Games Cause Dementia

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
She's a baroness, i.e., has nothing better to do with her time and craves attention.

I wouldn't wipe my arse with The Sun, let alone believe anything written on it.
Awwws, but sometimes the rough texture of Newspaper helps those days when I've indulged on Taco Bell a bit too much.

Secondly I found this excerpt to be completely hilarious

Continuing, Goldacre also points out that Greenfield has launched a line of games specifically designed to combat the kind of mental damage she claims other videogames can cause.
HA! The irony there is immense enough to topple Temen-Ni-Gru.

[HEADING=2]This is Temen-Ni-Gru[/HEADING]

1000 story tower designed to reach up to hell :p

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Chelsea O said:
AnarchistFish said:
Fuck The Sun. They would come out with something like this. What else do you expect from a Rupert Murdoch tabloid? Biased, scaremongering crock of shit
so..it literally is fox new put to paper then.
Possibly worse than that

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Hmm, I don't think she is right, what do you say hulking Eldritch Abomination standing over my shoulder?

Abomination (Mr Snuggles): ARGLBLARGHLE

Well put Mr Snuggles, I have once again been bested by your intellect

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
War Penguin said:
mrdude2010 said:
War Penguin said:
quote]Is the uncertainty between whether the penguin and its position in the washing machine times the uncertainty of the position of the monkeys playing the harpoon greater than ħ/2?
It's a common misconception that the whole equation is greater than ħ/2, but the truth is that it's actually less than ħ/2. Lot's of people forget to carry the 4.
This is very important.
I totally agree and I'm glad you came to me for answers.

[sub][sub]By the way, I was totally expecting to get disowned by my post all day, and when I saw this quote, I got the greatest sense of relieve. Thanks for that. :D[/sub][/sub]
hbar is equal to h/2π, and E=hc/lambda. The constant hbar/2 is dependent on the uncertainty in momentum and position. The uncertainty in x times the uncertainty in momentum has to be greater than hbar/2, or you would know too much about either quantity, because measuring one intrinsically affects the other, according to the heisenberg uncertainty principle.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
mrdude2010 said:
War Penguin said:
mrdude2010 said:
War Penguin said:
quote]Is the uncertainty between whether the penguin and its position in the washing machine times the uncertainty of the position of the monkeys playing the harpoon greater than ħ/2?
It's a common misconception that the whole equation is greater than ħ/2, but the truth is that it's actually less than ħ/2. Lot's of people forget to carry the 4.
This is very important.
I totally agree and I'm glad you came to me for answers.

[sub][sub]By the way, I was totally expecting to get disowned by my post all day, and when I saw this quote, I got the greatest sense of relieve. Thanks for that. :D[/sub][/sub]
hbar is equal to h/2π, and E=hc/lambda. The constant hbar/2 is dependent on the uncertainty in momentum and position. The uncertainty in x times the uncertainty in momentum has to be greater than hbar/2, or you would know too much about either quantity, because measuring one intrinsically affects the other, according to the heisenberg uncertainty principle.
... I'll keep that in mind. Right now, my first year college mind is a bit flustered. O_O

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Why in the hell are people still listening to this woman? She's been spewing forth pseudoscience for years now (and even had the gall to claim that people were challenging her and belittling her for the fact that she was a woman, and not because she had no evidence to back up her claims).

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Well this is in the Sun, so two things will happen:

1) My mum will read it and try to use it to make me stop playing video games so much
2) I will laugh her off for trying to present anything from the Sun as a proper piece of journalism or evidence of any kind.

Madara XIII said:
Chelsea O said:
AnarchistFish said:
Fuck The Sun. They would come out with something like this. What else do you expect from a Rupert Murdoch tabloid? Biased, scaremongering crock of shit
Possibly worse than that
Let's not go that far. It's not even as bad as the Daily Mail. Still horrible and idiotic and ignorant, but it's not Fox News territory.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
BREAKING NEWS:

"The act of reading one less newspaper a day can reduce your fear of mental illness and cancer by around 99.7%" (Not 100% as everyone knows round numbers are less believable).

In short, it sounds like she's saying that enjoying yourself too much can raise the bar, making normal life feel less interesting by comparison. That does kind of make sense.

It's not however, meaning that anyone who's played Angry birds a couple of times is going to end up a loony.

If you've just watched Die Hard, then 'Neighbours' probably isn't going to thrill you.
does that make Die Hard OR Neighbours inherently bad?

I actually wonder how much more caring and compassionate the UK would be if we had no tabloid press for 20 or so years,repeatedly ramming home the idea that everything is the fault of the homeless, the poor, the jobless, and the sick, oh and the foreign, mainly them foreigners. Lazy sods, all of em, taking our jobs :D

Still bugs me when I hear how 'I don't give money to the homeless, they're probably getting more money every day than I do'. Sure I can believe there's professional beggars who know how to manipulate people into giving coins over. However, I think most homeless people genuinely need those few coins to eat. In a world hit by an obesity epidemic, I don't think I've ever seen a lardy homeless person, if they're out there, I'd guess they're new to it.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
CosmicCommander said:
AnarchistFish said:
It's reporting on the news it wants to and in doing so, although not saying it directly, is trying to influence its readership into believing it.
How is it trying to influence them? There's no argument from the paper itself, it's shown both sides of the issue.

So a paper is only objective on an issue if it doesn't report the story in the first place, is that what you're saying?
Well don't you think it's weird that only the right wing papers report it?

By the way, my parents read The Sun and I noticed that they'd singled at this exact article from it. I read the article, there's no opposing side and my parents were eating it up like mugs, even when I explained to them why they shouldn't.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
ReservoirAngel said:
Well this is in the Sun, so two things will happen:

1) My mum will read it and try to use it to make me stop playing video games so much
2) I will laugh her off for trying to present anything from the Sun as a proper piece of journalism or evidence of any kind.

Madara XIII said:
Chelsea O said:
AnarchistFish said:
Possibly worse than that
The Daily Mail and The Sun are both bad but Fox is in a different league.

Mrmac23

Aug 12, 2011
Oh bloody hell. At least the haters stayed out of the UK for a while. The Sun, stick with silly headlines and page 3 girls, thanks.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
The Sun.

That shit isn't even known in my country, and I know this shit is shit.

Shit yo.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Published by the Sun, she has published no data. Forgive me for being skeptical. Of course if she -does- eventually rise to Goldacre's challenge and publish some data, I'm royally fucked, as are most of us for that matter. Hooray!

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
AnarchistFish said:
You probably can find the story in the Guardian or the Times. It's just that the audience of papers such as the Sun or the Telegraph are making a big woohoo over the entire thing.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
CosmicCommander said:
AnarchistFish said:
You probably can find the story in the Guardian or the Times. It's just that the audience of papers such as the Sun or the Telegraph are making a big woohoo over the entire thing.
Which says a lot about how they report it