British Neuroscientist Says Games Cause Dementia

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Oh, dear, The Sun - for people who don't care who runs the country, so long as she's got big... Health bars.
Well that's all substance for the argument thrown out the window and set on fire even before we get to the point where the good baroness hasn't published anything to support her claims. Makes Jack Thompson look informed.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
It's sort of like "Lord" Monkton and his objections to climate change. The title gets him respect (that and falsely claiming to be a science advisor to Margaret Thatcher), but he just spins a load of bull.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
hmm,

POST dementia test:

http://www.killerclips.com/clip.php?id=4&qid=780

Zero defects.

sorry neuro-baroness, no dementia found.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
I am loathe to use this word, however: LOL. The Sun = Lol. In all seriousness, the Sun is for plebeians and muppets. It's racist and stupid, and anyone who gives them a statement is probably one or both of those things too.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
I stopped reading when it mentioned she has no data to back it up.

"Just because you say something, doesn't make it true."

I don't care that she's a baroness (it's a royal title by the way) she basically pulled it out of her ass. Okay, that's where most theories start, but the next step is running studies to prove it before publicizing it to the press.

I'm reminded of the creationists, who are trying to get their ideas in science text books, skipping the decades of analysis that these kinds of theories go through before they are accepted as hard enough to be taught to students.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Well colour me enlightened.

After all this time I finally learn that theres more than a page 3 in The Sun.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Baroness Greenfield (she's a baroness, for whatever that's worth)... Greenfield is a baroness (seriously, what does that mean?)
It means nothing at all and is worth even less in this country. Seriously, you can actually BUY titles around here. But either way, being a Baroness has no effect on how legitimate her claims are as a scientist.

OT: So video games cause dementia? Well let's see, the sorts of people suffering from Dementia (and I know many) have got to be around 80 years old and upwards. So did they get this mental affliction from years of playing video games back in the 1940s and 50s or something? Anyone see the problem with this logic?

Then again, it's the Sun.

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
Dementia? For your information, I am NOT crazy. Now hold still so I can set you on fire!

Seriously though, why do people do this? This person is bad, and you should feel bad!

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
A scientist more or less completely unknown in an area is making broad sweeping claims without any supporting evidence. This happens all the time. Even with evidence, this would be an absolutely extraordinary claim requiring a tremendous amount of replication and examination before any consensus could be reached.

The number of research psychologists and cognitive scientists, who should presumably know better, who make these damning comments off the cuff is fucking staggering. Researchers like this, working in areas completely orthogonal to these issues, with the same "I think I read about it in a newspaper article once" level of understanding of the issue as the average media pundit, are surprisingly willing to express these things as though they have professional experience with them.

And dear Escapists, please do not try to argue with her reasoning using folk psychology. It's just as damaging to promote that sort of naive armchair theorizing.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
AnarchistFish said:
It's reporting on the news it wants to and in doing so, although not saying it directly, is trying to influence its readership into believing it.
How is it trying to influence them? There's no argument from the paper itself, it's shown both sides of the issue.

So a paper is only objective on an issue if it doesn't report the story in the first place, is that what you're saying?

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Aidinthel said:
Could UK Escapists please tell the rest of us what sort of paper the Sun is?

Update: Ok, question has been very thoroughly answered. No need to reply any more.

Further update: No, seriously. Please stop quoting me.

Yes, I know about page 3 now. Yes others have already described the Sun as toilet paper. There's really no need to reiterate how bad it is.
It's really bad.

I'm sorry.

OT: I'm beginning to start tackling these claims with an open mind. Though from the sounds of it, this woman is an extremely unreliable source.

So sucks for them

DSK-

May 13, 2010
"Mad? No, I'm not mad, I'm the only sane one left!"

"Say goodnight, DSK-"

"You cannot silence the truth! My voice must be heard-*SMACK*"