British Neuroscientist Says Games Cause Dementia

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
The Sun? The Escapist should probably just ignore whatever is said in The Sun. Any newspaper that needs a constant stream of tits to sell itself doesn't deserve attention!

I do have memory problems but its more to do with minor brain damage than video games. I have a suspicion that Baroness Greenfield is suffering something similar.

EDIT: My captcha is in Arabic... How the fuck am I supposed to type that?!

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Little tip for none British Escapists if one of these types of articles appear in a British tabloid (sun, daily mirror, daily mail etc), please take the information with massive amounts of salt. On a side note I really wish these articles would not keep coming up.

On the other hand I think the captchas on this site are trying to give me dementia.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I got up to seven words in this article, up to "The Sun" and stopped reading.
Newspaper? Really? More like tabloid.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Greenfield is a baroness (seriously, what does that mean?).
All it means is that her husband was rich enough to buy a castle in England.
I've actually been looking for a good castle just so I can start calling my wife Baroness.
It also means that her children spent their entire childhood in boarding school and she hardly knows them.
I usually support women's lib but her time would probably be better spent serving tea to the Holmsworths and tending (napping in) her garden.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I sense desperation or a joke taken too seriously; Are we citing TABLOIDS as credible sources now?
What the hell...

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
Escapist, please, do not again quote anything from "The Sun" newspaper.

Quoting Fox News is one thing, but quoting a known tabloid is even worse.

Thankyouthatisall.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
This just in DnD causes homicidal thoughts. Seems people love to sprout unsupported information.

The Cheshire

May 10, 2011
Additionally, Greenfield says, "connections" within the brain "can be temporarily disabled by activities with a strong sensory content -- 'blowing the mind'. Or they can be inactivated permanently by degeneration -- ie. dementia."

So I suppose going to watch Wagner operas is also bound to cause dementia.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
i do not live in the uk or anywere near there but from the comments i learned a few things.

there are boobs on page 3 and
anything said on the sun is considered a joke kind of like fox

over all any article i see citing the sun i automatically bullshit

keyton777

Aug 14, 2008
being a baroness still means shite? damn, i should just start writing "Duke" in front of my name from now on

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Warning sign #1: the article was released in The Sun, which is to legitimate news what TMZ is to 60 Minutes.

Warning sign #2: the author is "Baroness Greenfield." Anyone who uses a political/social title as their first name is clearly mad.

Warning sign #3: there's the usual Escapist inclusion of a sane professional who apparently had the time to write up an easy refutation of the nutjob's claim.

Warning sign #4: included in said refutation was the fact that the baroness was trying to sell a line of video games that supposedly counteract the condition she's touting as real. That's about as transparant as you can get short of breaking an empty test tube into a subway car, screaming that it was filled with a deadly virus, and then offering to sell sips from the "antidote" you have in a waterbottle for only $10 per person.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
I do have a shit memory, but I'm pretty sure that's lack of sleep. Especially since her response to someone saying "Prove it" was to accuse that person of being as bad as the people who denied that cigarettes cause cancer.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
SuperMse said:
So videogames will make me go crazy? Well, Don't mind if I do! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk7GA4EZZrw]
I knew what the video was going to be before I even clicked on it. I feel special.