British Politician Calls for Parliamentary Debate on Videogames

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Keith Vaz is the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. It'd be funny if it weren't for all the tax money being wasted on watching this stupid prat make an ass of himself.

Iglock

Mar 23, 2009
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/12/09/keith-vazs-face-prevents-humans-feeling-charitable-science/

This is relevant and hilarious.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
wooty said:
British politics and its views can go and fuck itself after last nights/todays events. I dont listen to anthing this sad excuse for a government says anymore than I listen to the weird guy dances in his own piss in the park.
I've not been following the news too much, what happened last night/today?

OT: Meh really, I think that the government will knock this down. We've got enough problems now as it is, I hardly think anyone is gonna care about some MP trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Woodsey said:
There's a number on the fucking box showing an age limit, and studies have proven that retailers are, for the most part, very good at enforcing age ratings.

END OF THE FUCKING PROBLEM.
You do realise that if we stop banging on about it, he's gonna have nothing to make irrational leaps about, right?
Seriously though, what a moron.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
robert01 said:
I don't understand what all the hate is for video games.
Religions are violent.
Books are violent.
Music is violent.
Art is violent.
Film/Television is violent.

Why is it that everyone wants to pony up on games? Makes no sense. I will be glad in 10 -15 years half these people will be dead and we won't have to deal with their bullshit anymore. Than maybe we can move on to hating something else, probably hologram sex sims or something newage like that.
Because games are an easy target, and a lot of people still don't understand them. And it's not really that those things are violent, people are violent. I think people need to realise that. None of these things are inherently violent. They are made and interpreted by humans. They are just catalysts that funnel our nature. People need to stop blaming scapegoats and realise that it's us that are the problem. And to be honest, games are more catharsis than catalyst anyway. There's plenty of other things that are far worse that people don't even dare criticise. I have one in particular in mind which is particularly bad. I won't say it but let's just say you already listed it there.

Oh I almost forgot what I was going to say in regard to the article! Thankfully I don't think that guy is much of a threat. I live in the UK and I've never actually heard about him before the last article the Escapist ran on him. Most people here don't pay attention to him.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
robert01 said:
I don't understand what all the hate is for video games.
Religions are violent.
Books are violent.
Music is violent.
Art is violent.
Film/Television is violent.

Why is it that everyone wants to pony up on games? Makes no sense. I will be glad in 10 -15 years half these people will be dead and we won't have to deal with their bullshit anymore. Than maybe we can move on to hating something else, probably hologram sex sims or something newage like that.
Though I don't agree with "there" reasoning, it's said videogames are targeted because they are marketed towards kids and they are interactive. Surprising how choose your own adventure books never got the condemnation video games have.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
wooty said:
British politics and its views can go and fuck itself after last nights/todays events. I dont listen to anthing this sad excuse for a government says anymore than I listen to the weird guy dances in his own piss in the park.
Not even after Cameron finally got some balls and told the EU to f**k off?

This is just Keith Vaz, he's not even a member of the government.

However, there is probably a cross-party authoritarian consensus which will make a parliamentary debate on games quite troubling...

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
A Social Reject said:
Based on his theory I'm currently going to into the city and beating the hell out of the local crime syndicate because I was bought Streets of Rage as a child.
I'll join you! (I always wanted to do that in real life)

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Damnit all, this guys Labour, so I'm gonna have to be more creative in responding to this than usual, I can't just pull out the old, "Conservatives huh, what you gonna do?"

Okay, now I admire the way Britain handles violent videogames. Ratings are enforced by law, and PEGI seems to be pretty fair as far as I see (though PEGI is European, not just British of course). And to be honest, there isn't much else you can do about videogames that wouldn't end up infringing majorly on freedom of speech and potentially freedom of the press (since it's all media). The only argument in their favour is that videogames might be dangerous, but that's pretty bullshit.

You know what? I'm willing to concede that some videogames (obvious exceptions being stuff like Flower) make people more aggressive in the short term, but so do action movies, Eye of the Tiger and a bit of vigorous exercise.

I am not however willing to concede that videogames desensitise you to violence. When playing a videogame, I let go of morals and common sense because I'm suspending my disbelief and rolling with the game, when I stop playing the videogame, I return to reality and act like I would do in reality.

Once I had a dream, in which I could control water (make it bend to my will and stuff). When I woke up in the morning I immediately ran over to the tap and attempted to control the water because I didn't realise it was a dream (and I was really tired). After a few seconds I snapped out of it. If I can (eventually) distinguish between reality and a dream (albeit a very convincing dream) then I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference between reality and a game.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
the problem with People like him is that instead of focusing on the billions of non-violent gamers he focuses on the tiny percentage of stupid criminals, who have at one point in their life played a video game, and then make a 100ft leap to the conclusion that they are not only linked, but direct consequences, I swear to God, stop trying to blame societies problems on something that you have no relation to, if unemployment wasn't partially the Governments problem, he'd blame that, and if he had a games console of his own, he wouldn't complain about them, or go on violent rampages for that matter.

thesmurf45

Jun 9, 2009
A Social Reject said:
Based on his theory I'm currently going to into the city and beating the hell out of the local crime syndicate because I was bought Streets of Rage as a child.
I used to play serious sam. How the hell am I going to do that in real life?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
He's using the same arguments people in the US have been using for years. Well, britain, it's your turn. The US has won it's video game freedom with it's supreme court decision. Now let's win one in parliament, eh?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Octogunspunk said:
wooty said:
Not even after Cameron finally got some balls and told the EU to f**k off?

Its not just that which has me raging but the fact that my mates returned from Afghanistan a week ago and hes one of the lucky ones that gets to know hes was essentially fired 2 months ago while on duty, same shit happened to me a year ago too.

All these game witchhunts just sound like an excuse to avoid discussing real issues and problems. Nothing better than a good media crusade to distract the xfactor masses.

Chaos1228

Sep 28, 2011
This guy isn't very smart is he? There is no evidence that video games cause violence or aggressiveness. He tries to link crimes to video games with the fact that the perpetrator played a shooter game. And tries to use a study that was funded by an anti-games group as evidence too.

How popular/well known is this guy anyway? (im american and know nothing about british politics)

Feb 13, 2008
What can I say about Keith Vaz that hasn't been said before?

Oh yeah... His title in Leicester is "The Crook: Keith Vaz".

"I don't need to see it to know it's offensive".

Hardline Muslims and Christians are willing to discuss the threat, but the Politician says it's wrong without even watching it.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Iglock said:
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/12/09/keith-vazs-face-prevents-humans-feeling-charitable-science/

This is relevant and hilarious.
Proof that over 50% of people respond to Vaz's face by wanting to harm themselves or others. I think we should censor him.

Vaz will continue his song and dance, I'm thinking its become more of a publicity thing for him now.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
The best thing is he's bringing it up now?!?!

When Europe might be on the brink of war over the economy?

Don't you think there's more important things to talk about? /facepalm.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
With all the stuff going on in the world, why are video games so important? It's a lovely hobby and loads of fun, but why do these people think it's such a big deal? Oh no, there is violence. Well, violence is everywhere else, too. I love games, I do, but there is SO much more stuff people could be debating and fixing right now that games should not be a priority.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Chaos1228 said:
This guy isn't very smart is he? There is no evidence that video games cause violence or aggressiveness. He tries to link crimes to video games with the fact that the perpetrator played a shooter game. And tries to use a study that was funded by an anti-games group as evidence too.

How popular/well known is this guy anyway? (im american and know nothing about british politics)
I have only ever seen him on this site, and I know more about polotics than most people my age, Apparently he is really corrupt too, but Im not sure if thats true.