British Teachers Still Blaming Games for Schoolyard Violence

Blobpie

May 20, 2009
i remember back when i was elementary, do you wana know why we fought? BECAUSE WE JUST WANTED TO!

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
"Children are vile little goblins. That's a concrete fact. They're forever climbing, drooling, drawing or choking on things they shouldn't have touched in the first place. As infuriating as they are to adults, the ungrateful little turdlets manage to be even more unpleasant to each other."

I blame the internet, give me a reason to not blame the internet for this. Not video games, just the internet and its normal denizens. This happens all the time, with kids getting flamed and bullied, having no outlet to take this out on anyone else because the scum pulling this stunt can laugh about nobody can touch him. So he does the only thing he can do: Take it out on the kids around him, starting a cycle of hate.

I keep saying this: The internet is in need of some serious cleansing by a regulated authority, making it no longer possible to just hide behind a screen, THEN we'll see this violence lower. While I think playing games was a moot point, it's the people on the other end of that game, treating growing kids like they do, that causes this. If someone hardcore flames a young child, and that kid commits harm, the troll is directly to blame for it.

funkzillabot

Dec 10, 2009
That's convenient, because Video Games gives Parents and Teachers an easy out. That way NO ONE has to take responsibility for actually having to deal with children and their real day to day problems.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
You know, its weird that the "blame" is always shifted down, i mean the parents blame..well someone, usually teachers, games, the government, something except them. And all those blamed again pass on the blame, well except games, they are just media.

My own mother didnt exactly check the ERSB Ratings, or USK over here, she didnt go "well you're too young to play that.", she didnt babysit me to see what i played either and i figure i turned out perfectly fine. I dont think you can push the blame on games entirely, i mean just cause Mom lets little Timmy play CoD and such doesnt mean little Timmy grows up to be a bully or some serial killer later, if you add parenting to it, you know, real parenting, teaching your kids about consequences to actions i think that goes a long way. If you dont parent at all and then add all the media we have today, doesnt have to be games, music or even movies, just watch tv for a day and tell me what a kid could potentially learn from that. You really should pay just attention as to what your Kid learns and add some positive influence on it rather than just letting someone or something else take care of it, Kids have to learn about stuff eventually, withholding every little experience from them doesnt mean they turn out better, sheltering them from all the bad stuff doesnt mean it protects them from it later in life.

Point being, just because Mom doesnt check the Rating on a Game doesnt mean you can blame lack of parenting OR the games in that case, there are far more influences on a child than just that, of course if none of those are positive, well dont be suprised that little timmy turns into a spoiled violent brat. And yeah i'd blame Teachers too in some cases, there's enough stories about violence at school and bullying where the teachers, which are meant to protect the children just stood by and watched it happen, of course Parents arent always much better, after all, show of hands on who here remembers that old phrase "just ignore them and they'll stop"? No they wont, they will continue until you strike back.